Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brummie rag view on Albion fan v Albion fan.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
More a report on the fans (or the lack of fans) at the game, rather than a actual report on the game

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Really poor turnout from WBA yesterday I thought. I just got the feeling that they were not bothered if they won or not, whereas we were. I don't blame them given the demands of a promotion campaign in the championship but it made it a very surreal watch on the TV.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You really can't blame the WBA fans for not caring, when Moore clearly didn't.

I've no issue with his starting line up, but the game was there to be won or lost, and was decided by his substitutions. While the Albion sent on Murray and Pröpper to seal it, Moore first subbed off his main striker for a centre back, and then sent on a succession of ever-younger children.

He had Dwight Gayle on the bench but chose to send on a 16 year old, who proceeded to completely mess up a chance for 2-2, that Gayle would have hovered up.

All on the manager.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
no mention of the bluenose 'Royal Marine' giving it large to a 'fat *******' in the West Brom fans

kjgood

Really poor turnout from WBA yesterday I thought. I just got the feeling that they were not bothered if they won or not, whereas we were. I don't blame them given the demands of a promotion campaign in the championship but it made it a very surreal watch on the TV.

TBH I disagree with your thoughts that we were bothered if we won, sorry. We fielded a weaker team than we did in the first game which said to me that it is a side issue to the main objective of staying in the premier league. I do understand that is the priority for everyone, club and fans alike, but we didnt put out a team that appeared to be odds on to beat a high flying championship team some 10 places below us in league places who are on a bit of a roll.

I did think the TV commentators were really biased towards the ''lesser'' Albion. You would have thought they were commenting for Baggies TV.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
All that has taught me is that some bloke called Simon Winterburn doesn't know the difference between disinterested and uninterested and that the people who run this paper still think that he is worth quoting.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I did think the TV commentators were really biased towards the ''lesser'' Albion. You would have thought they were commenting for Baggies TV.

I came to end of my tether when we were given a free kick for handball by Robson-Kanu. After the replay - which showed him EXTENDING HIS ARM TWO FEET IN FRONT OF HIM AND PUNCHING THE BALL - the co-commentator said "Yep, definitely came off his chest". There were a few of them throughout from Kevin whatsisface.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
TBH I disagree with your thoughts that we were bothered if we won, sorry. We fielded a weaker team than we did in the first game which said to me that it is a side issue to the main objective of staying in the premier league. I do understand that is the priority for everyone, club and fans alike, but we didnt put out a team that appeared to be odds on to beat a high flying championship team some 10 places below us in league places who are on a bit of a roll.

The players that we fielded wanted to win it. This is their chance to shine and get more first class games instead of the usual 'reserve' football.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I saw it differently. Gykores aside all the players are first XI caliber imo. The way they played showed a desire to win. There was also a point in the first half where Hughton was shown showing his frustration at another missed opportunity, I'm pretty sure he wanted to win.

Wanting to win is not demonstrated by flogging the same set off players week in week out, it's by cleverly using your squad to maximise its potential. That we ended up bringing on Murray and Pröpper to seal the deal also displayed a desire to get the job done.

That was a decent team we put out last night, just not one that has had an opportunity to gel. We got through, Ali J showed improvement, Bernado got valuable game time, Knockaert made a case for his return, Bissouma once again given the opportunity to shine.

Agree with you re the commentators, they seemed keen to big up the plucky underdog.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
TBH I disagree with your thoughts that we were bothered if we won, sorry. We fielded a weaker team than we did in the first game which said to me that it is a side issue to the main objective of staying in the premier league..

Did we??

They were all but the same. The following started both games:

Button
Bruno
Burn
Knockaert
Bissouma
Kayal
Andone

The changes were:

Balogun in place of Duffy (definitely weaker)
Bernardo in place of an out of position Montoya (unquestionable stronger)
Alireza in place of Locadia (personnaly I'd say stronger, but open for debate)
Gyokeres in place of Stephens (not directly obviously, as the formation changed a bit).

Dunk, Murray, Groß, Pröpper and Sanchez were subs in both. Second game saw Bong and Locadia there, instead of March and Gyokeres.

:shrug:

kjgood

Fair points to make.

I saw it differently. Gykores aside all the players are first XI caliber imo. The way they played showed a desire to win. There was also a point in the first half where Hughton was shown showing his frustration at another missed opportunity, I'm pretty sure he wanted to win.

Wanting to win is not demonstrated by flogging the same set off players week in week out, it's by cleverly using your squad to maximise its potential. That we ended up bringing on Murray and Pröpper to seal the deal also displayed a desire to get the job done.

That was a decent team we put out last night, just not one that has had an opportunity to gel. We got through, Ali J showed improvement, Bernado got valuable game time, Knockaert made a case for his return, Bissouma once again given the opportunity to shine.

Agree with you re the commentators, they seemed keen to big up the plucky underdog.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
That is a shockingly bad article, full of typos and poor grammar and more reflective of a, say, 13 year-old telling their mates at school what the best chants were last night than actual journalism. Is that mag for real?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You really can't blame the WBA fans for not caring, when Moore clearly didn't.

I've no issue with his starting line up, but the game was there to be won or lost, and was decided by his substitutions. While the Albion sent on Murray and Pröpper to seal it, Moore first subbed off his main striker for a centre back, and then sent on a succession of ever-younger children.

He had Dwight Gayle on the bench but chose to send on a 16 year old, who proceeded to completely mess up a chance for 2-2, that Gayle would have hovered up.

All on the manager.

And yet 3k bothered to come to the Amex where it could be said he fielded a even weaker side :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And yet 3k bothered to come to the Amex where it could be said he fielded a even weaker side :shrug:

I'm pretty sure they didn't book their tickets and drive down to Brighton AFTER he announced the team at 2pm on the day!

(and they probably all just fancied a day out at the seaside anyway)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here