Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Baloguns Switch off

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
q) Is Balogun to blame for the first goal?
a) Well, if someone must be blamed for every goal we concede then yes. Clearly he made a bizarre error.

q) Do we have to worry that he is incompetent?
a) No. Clearly not. He’s shown he’s a good defender and had played in a good league and in a world cup before he came to us.

q) Who should be our 3rd choice centre back?
a) Burn. He’s played 2 games and for my money been our best player in both. Currently deserve the next chance that come up

q) but that surely means that Balogun must be useless?
a) no, it just means someone else is currently above him

q) Has Baloguns error wiped out the goodwill engendered from the Palace game?
a) stupid question. To put a 9 man team 2 up against fierce rivals when there was 8 defenders and 2 attacking players in the box from a corner and he had 6 yards of space to get his shot away will remain one of my most cherished moments in football for many years

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I rate Balogun but for some reason last night he just seemed completely off his game. As well as the goal he also must score with the header against the crossbar and completely turns off again when Rogers(?) should score with the header to make it 2-2.

Must be hard when you are in and out of the team but he certainly looked the less assured last night.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Every team must be allowed an incident like last night's.Sneaky George comes to mind,for those of us of an older disposition.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Massive lesson for him but more funny than Dunk's OG at Anfield tbf. Just glad he learned to expect the unexpected in a game that we won, and he won't make the same mistake against Derby where he has to be a hero to make up for it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a pretty poor analysis of what happened. When Burn jumped, he was heading towards the goal, while Button was heading away from the goal when he jumped. The second picture shows where they were once they'd landed, due to their momentum.

Sure Button could have either won the ball originally, or not gone for it, but having gone for it and missed he couldn't get back.

Disagree. Even allowing for their respective momentum - which is a fair point - he really hasn't read the situation and done what he can to recover his ground. Look again at Pic 3 in Bozza's set. He has seemingly made the same misjudgement as Balogun and thinks the ball is going out - he has stopped.

The ball really must have taken a bit of an odd flight. In pic 2 EVERYONE seems convinced its going out - all the WBA players are appealing for the corner.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly didn’t realise Balogun was 30, thought he was in his early twenties to be honest doesn’t look 30. It was a bad mistake but everyone makes them, his just happened to cost us the goal.

I think the Dunk/Duffy partnership has spoilt us to be honest, a very solid top division partnership, fallable at times but majority of the time the pair of them are very solid, I always think we look way more solid when at least one of them remains.. must be the first time in a while neither Dunk or Duffy has started a game? Chrissy normally pairs one of them with Balogun. (or Burn now)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Disagree.
Ok.
Even allowing for their respective momentum - which is a fair point - he really hasn't read the situation and done what he can to recover his ground. Look again at Pic 3 in Bozza's set. He has seemingly made the same misjudgement as Balogun and thinks the ball is going out - he has stopped.
Or he thinks it might hit the bar, and come back towards him? He probably read the situation badly, but if he'd realised where it was going, I don't think he could have got back to it in time.

The ball really must have taken a bit of an odd flight. In pic 2 EVERYONE seems convinced its going out - all the WBA players are appealing for the corner.
Only one of them has his hand up.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I rate Balogun but for some reason last night he just seemed completely off his game. As well as the goal he also must score with the header against the crossbar and completely turns off again when Rogers(?) should score with the header to make it 2-2.

Must be hard when you are in and out of the team but he certainly looked the less assured last night.[/

As well as letting the winger stroll past him to get a cross on in extra time

Switched off three times last night which cost us one goal and should have cost us three. Poor performance last night.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
q) Is Balogun to blame for the first goal?
a) Well, if someone must be blamed for every goal we concede then yes. Clearly he made a bizarre error.

q) Do we have to worry that he is incompetent?
a) No. Clearly not. He’s shown he’s a good defender and had played in a good league and in a world cup before he came to us.

q) Who should be our 3rd choice centre back?
a) Burn. He’s played 2 games and for my money been our best player in both. Currently deserve the next chance that come up

q) but that surely means that Balogun must be useless?
a) no, it just means someone else is currently above him

q) Has Baloguns error wiped out the goodwill engendered from the Palace game?
a) stupid question. To put a 9 man team 2 up against fierce rivals when there was 8 defenders and 2 attacking players in the box from a corner and he had 6 yards of space to get his shot away will remain one of my most cherished moments in football for many years

You should post more!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It would have been weird if he didn't react but had stood his ground.

It's even WEIRDER that he decided to go for a STROLL before the ball had actually come down. I class this WAY above freak own goals in 'worst moments'. I don't think I've ever seen a bit of defending like it. Normally players, even if they screw up, remember they are playing football whilst screwing up.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I did watch the game last night but can't remember who nodded the ball on (1st pic).
I presume it was a BHA player rather than a WBA player because if not then surely the goal scorer is offside (1st pic).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It would have been weird if he didn't react but had stood his ground.

It's even WEIRDER that he decided to go for a STROLL before the ball had actually come down. I class this WAY above freak own goals in 'worst moments'. I don't think I've ever seen a bit of defending like it. Normally players, even if they screw up, remember they are playing football whilst screwing up.

Yes, this is the oddest thing of all. He might have thought he was fouled, or it was offside, or it had gone out. But you simply don't give up when there's a player right behind you. Not until you're sure or the whistle goes. Bizarre.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did watch the game last night but can't remember who nodded the ball on (1st pic).
I presume it was a BHA player rather than a WBA player because if not then surely the goal scorer is offside (1st pic).

Dan Burn

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes, this is the oddest thing of all. He might have thought he was fouled, or it was offside, or it had gone out. But you simply don't give up when there's a player right behind you. Not until you're sure or the whistle goes. Bizarre.

It reminded me a little of Pickford's cock-up earlier in the season when he actually helped keep the ball in play to allow Origi to score a Liverpool winner in the 6th minute of injury time!

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
These pictures are pretty damning regards Button's contribution.

Comes and fails to reach the original cross, when had he stayed put, he'd have had a simple task to gather the dropping ball.

And, having come (and failed to get there) look at the respective positions of him and Burn in pic 1, and how quickly Burn recovers to the goal line by pic 2, compared with the keeper.

My first reaction when the goal was scored (before I saw the replay and Balogun wander off) was ‘what the hell was Button doing ?’ He came for the crosss with absolutely no conviction and was never going to get there. There were also a number of other times in the game where he strangely parried the ball rather than catch it (Rodriguez effort from the tight angle in the first half being one).
I know he had a decent enough record while Ryan was out but Button still gives me the jitters when he’s in goal and the jury’s still out on him for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here