Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Sliding Doors" - How it affects a sensible football debate

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Something for discussion maybe?

This came to me randomly last night as I was trying to nod off.

So Andone could have or should have been sent off.

So the tackle on Ali J could have or should have been a penalty to us.

Two refereeing decisions which went for and against us. Kinda balances out in a very broad way, no?

But......

Using the "Sliding Doors" theory if Andone walks the whole game pattern shifts and Ali J is not on the area for that tackle to be made. Do you see where I am going here?

To get to the point I am sure many if not all of us get into a discussion or debate about a game (any game) where the arguments and counter arguments are made which hinge on one or more incidents in a game. Using the game last night you make the point on the balance of the decisions evening out and your 'opponent' counters with the 'Sliding Doors' theory.

To me it is a logical and intellectual challenge to reply effectively other than running with the natural fate of the game hinging on the variable of the competence of the referee.

Thoughts?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Two refereeing decisions which went for and against us. Kinda balances out in a very broad way, no?

But......

Using the "Sliding Doors" theory if Andone walks the whole game pattern shifts and Ali J is not on the area for that tackle to be made. Do you see where I am going here?

To get to the point I am sure many if not all of us get into a discussion or debate about a game (any game) where the arguments and counter arguments are made which hinge on one or more incidents in a game. Using the game last night you make the point on the balance of the decisions evening out and your 'opponent' counters with the 'Sliding Doors' theory.

To me it is a logical and intellectual challenge to reply effectively other than running with the natural fate of the game hinging on the variable of the competence of the referee.

Thoughts?

Que?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You lost me at sensible football debate.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

But......

Thoughts?

yes if he had been sent off the game would have been different but that is as far as it goes. Loosing a player does not automatically mean you will lose , there are people on this forum who will point to a game we lost against 9 men.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Surely the biggest sliding doors moment this season was Duffy being sent off against Palace.

If he hadn't been sent off, Balogan would not have been on the pitch to score.

Or indeed, had the ref got it right and not awarded the corner.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, from the moment of the Big Bang, everything that has ever happened and will ever happen was set in motion, what happened happened and it always was going to happen that way. But don't worry, the fact that you were going to think about "what Ifs" and start a thread on NSC was also always going to happen after what happened last night, and I was always going to respond with this post. Cause and effect you see.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
No, from the moment of the Big Bang, everything that has ever happened and will ever happen was set in motion, what happened happened and it always was going to happen that way. But don't worry, the fact that you were going to think about "what Ifs" and start a thread on NSC was also always going to happen after what happened last night, and I was always going to respond with this post. Cause and effect you see.

Well **** me now you've got me thinking, if I hadn't charged my iPad I'd never be writing this!!!! So deep !!!!

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
yes if he had been sent off the game would have been different but that is as far as it goes. Loosing a player does not automatically mean you will lose , there are people on this forum who will point to a game we lost against 9 men.

when Duff got sent off v palace, we scored from the corner & Murray was still off the picture with the shoulder injury
we went 2-nil up with 9 men

the action of a missed refereeing decision does not take you down a particular path, but opens many difference paths

'tis football, tis human error makes a big part of the game VAR kills a bit of that

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To quote Rik Mayall in Bottom:

"I wish....I just wish.....everything could have been completely different"

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I love this quote, unfortunately from a particularly nasty ****. It might just sum it up depending on your point of view:

“The world is just a barrel-organ which the Lord God turns Himself. We all have to dance to the tune which is already on the drum”

Things are meant to be, or not, perhaps?
If I'd ridden one single mph faster on my motorbike on the way to Kemp Town back in early 1987, I'm absolutely certain I'd never have met my first wife.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I love this quote, unfortunately from a particularly nasty ****. It might just sum it up depending on your point of view:

“The world is just a barrel-organ which the Lord God turns Himself. We all have to dance to the tune which is already on the drum”

Things are meant to be, or not, perhaps?
If I'd ridden one single mph faster on my motorbike on the way to Kemp Town back in early 1987, I'm absolutely certain I'd never have met my first wife.

You mean you wouldn’t have run her over?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wish I hadn't charged my phone and incorrectly posted that Andone didn't look like scoring yesterday. I'd feel a lot more like adding my usual sparkling contributions to this fine site. Sliding doors indeed.

:down:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If the latest Black Mirror is anything to go by we will soon be able to choose our own individual path of outcomes during each game.

Problem with imaginary sliding doors is they get stuck and may need a bit of elbow.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here