Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] All horse racing in Britain cancelled Today due to equine flu

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In all seriousness, it is no laughing matter. I once owned a pony that I thought had caught equine flu. Luckily the vet said he was just a little hoarse.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
One of the most worrying aspect of this outbreak is that horses that have been vaccinated against equine flu are still susceptible to the new strain of flu virus. It takes months to produce a new vaccine and to then manufacture sufficient quantities of that vaccine.

If the pressures put on the racing industry to resume racing quickly succeeds then once again it will be the horses that suffer.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
One of the most worrying aspect of this outbreak is that horses that have been vaccinated against equine flu are still susceptible to the new strain of flu virus. It takes months to produce a new vaccine and to then manufacture sufficient quantities of that vaccine.

If the pressures put on the racing industry to resume racing quickly succeeds then once again it will be the horses that suffer.

It's the same for human flu though - no vaccine is 100pc effective, and the protection diminishes over time. That's why, ideally, they get a booster every 6 months or so although the regulation is one jab per year. The hope - and also the likelihood - at this stage is that the three horses at McCain's yard, which didn't go anywhere near a racecourse, were at the tail end of the 12-month period and were the three in a 100+ yard that were unlucky. If it was an entirely new vaccine-resistant strain, it would have gone through the whole yard in a couple of days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is just the tip of the iceberg. Far, far more horses are put down, abandoned or ‘bred to death’ than appear in that list.

Only a minority of horses bred for racing ever become successful.

Don't forget that the same things happen to Greyhounds too.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had a touch of the flu last week and after the Burnley match my voice was feeling a bit hoarse. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
A cracking days racing at Plumpton Green this afternoon, it's lovely to have it back:) There was a pretty big crowd for a Wednesday afternoon too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here