Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion have a “nasty” striker, and as a big fan of Barnes, the last one, I am fricking delighted. He’s not hit top form yet but the days of defenders having easy games against Albion strikers is over when Andone plays. Every decent team has some nasty players who push the boundaries of legality.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I wouldn't be surprised if the elbow does go unpunished. It has to be unequivocally deliberate which I'm not convinced it was..

All the top sides enjoy a snide elbow here and there, don't they?

Andone is mustard for me, he'll only improve too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its strange, being at the Hawthorns last night, I was not aware of any issues around Andone and a sharp elbow.
I would think that if the elbow was deliberate then the West Brom players would have been hounding both Andone and the Referee to encourage a red card to be shown. They weren't even looking for a free kick, which would seem to indicate at the time they felt it was just an accidental coming together.

But will it be another witchhunt by TV as Hemed suffered

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Albion have a “nasty” striker, and as a big fan of Barnes, the last one, I am fricking delighted. He’s not hit top form yet but the days of defenders having easy games against Albion strikers is over when Andone plays. Every decent team has some nasty players who push the boundaries of legality.

It was great to see the Watford centre back hoof the ball into the WSL just because Andone was near him and getting closer...

...fast

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Its strange, being at the Hawthorns last night, I was not aware of any issues around Andone and a sharp elbow.
I would think that if the elbow was deliberate then the West Brom players would have been hounding both Andone and the Referee to encourage a red card to be shown. They weren't even looking for a free kick, which would seem to indicate at the time they felt it was just an accidental coming together.

But will it be another witchhunt by TV as Hemed suffered

Watch it again. Deliberate elbow and if it goes before the FA then i fully expect a 3 game ban which he deserves.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Watch it again. Deliberate elbow and if it goes before the FA then i fully expect a 3 game ban which he deserves.

Not even close to what Mings did to that Reading player for which no action was taken. Our players have taken elbows this season which the opposition have got away with so I’m not convinced about a retrospective ban, although as we are a small club it may happen. I hope CH had a word with him as it was stupid and unecessary.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Knowing nothing of these things would the ban just be for FA Cup games or league games too?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not even close to what Mings did to that Reading player for which no action was taken. Our players have taken elbows this season which the opposition have got away with so I’m not convinced about a retrospective ban, although as we are a small club it may happen. I hope CH had a word with him as it was stupid and unecessary.

Big difference with between both. Mings was in the air and that could be argued he had to put his foot somewhere, Andone had no reason to elbow in the position unless aiming for there player.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My take on ...

1) Andone's goal = I very much doubt he aimed it between to keepers legs or anywhere. Centrally, in the area, most strikers will just figure, "if I whack it low and hard and I get it on target 7 out of 10 will go in" In this case he manage to get it low and hard. Well done Flo

2) Andone's offside goal = yes, a bit careless to be offside, but he took it well didn't he.

3) Andone's attitude= Every ref will be onto him now. His grace period where he could rely on angelic looks and fake a limited understanding of English are over. He'll have to clean up his act. But yes I like it that we're not the goody goodies for a change.

4) Andone's ban = 50% chance he'll get one I reckon.

5) Andone doubters = It's quite difficult to know what you would judge as a good signing. Quick, hard working, scores different sorts of goals, puts his foot in. I'd have in in my side over every other striker in Albion's history bar (probably) 3. And it's only his first season and he was injured for the first half of it

kjgood

As the referee didnt appear to have seen the elbow, if he did he would have been sent off. Can the FA take retrospective action?

OK so last weekend he went down clutching his face as if Kim Jong-un had used his face as target practice. It lost us possession as we kicked the ball out for him. Today he elbowed a WBA player and got away with it (should have been sent off).

I like to think of Brighton and Hove Albion as being a nice club (not a soft touch but a club that wouldn't employ Joey Barton) so I was a bit embarrassed by 2 bob tonight. Am I being a snowflake?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Big difference with between both. Mings was in the air and that could be argued he had to put his foot somewhere, Andone had no reason to elbow in the position unless aiming for there player.

In the politest possible way I call BOLLOCKS :smile:

Mings even shortened his step after looking down before bringing it down as a stamp. 100% deliberate.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
In the politest possible way I call BOLLOCKS :smile:

Mings even shortened his step before bringing it down as a stamp.

If it was bollocks then why was he cleared ? It has to be clear cut and it wasn't. Sorry only one person talking bollocks here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nor will failing to look remotely like scoring against a championship fringe side
You know he scored, right? He also scored a great header, which was (correctly) ruled out for offside.

EDIT - I see this has been addressed already, and you think it was a poor goal, because it went through the keepers legs. That's a point of view I don't think I've seen before.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If it was bollocks then was was he cleared ? It has to be clear cut and it wasn't. Sorry only one person talking bollocks here.

Because the ref saw it and didn’t call it as a red card offence they can’t give retrospective bans in those circumstances as far as I understand. The ref got it wrong, you’d have to be blind not to see that on the replay ( I take it you have actually seen the video of it?) The ref didn’t see the Andone elbow, hence why he’ll probably get done retrospectively. I won’t complain if he does get done either.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here