Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On this basis - AJ & Locadia were both mainly playing as ‘Forwards’ in Dutch 4-4-3s.

always innovative those Dutch

your right though, the inference seems to be Hughton wants to move to 433 as the default?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The ball is up in the air to the left of Andone/Field. The ref is following the flight of the ball and isn't looking at the two players, which is why he didn't see the incident.

I see, he’s got no field of vision, that will explain him missing the pen, not giving corners, and other mistakes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has anyone ever seen a referee's report. What is it - is it a blow-by-blow account of the 90 minutes as far as he can remember. Or just an account of bookings, sending-off's, goals, and so on. For instance, last night's incident, would he put something like 'coming together of a few players in front of me - didn't see anything wrong'? Surely not, because there will be a hundred incidents where he 'didn't see anything wrong'. If he wrote 'Andone, possible elbow - okay in my view', fair enough - but merely not mentioning something doesn't mean he didn't see it. I don't mention every car I pass on the way home - because it's normal. Are they lengthy? And so on. I'd be interested to know if anyone does know.

I've had a look online, but the only guidance I can find is 'misconduct reports', and obviously if the ref thinks there was no misconduct, he won't mention it. Which strikes me as a bit of a circular argument really - and the only way a ban could be avoided would be if the ref did see something and awarded a free kick or yellow card or something. But even if he awarded a free-kick, I doubt if he'd remember after the match all the reasons why.

The ref must have been aware of something because Field went down, and stayed down. The ref walked over to him to see what was wrong.

The ball is up in the air to the left of Andone/Field. The ref is following the flight of the ball and isn't looking at the two players, which is why he didn't see the incident.

He isn't looking up in that still. His head is straight, not tilted back.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thought the ref missed several naughty fouls including a penalty and I agree plead guilty hope to get of with a warning or not.
I do want see more of him as I think he could be a great player for us.

A warning would be great but can you recall a similar situation with the same sort of video evidence lead to a player getting off with a warning?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
The whole retrospective thing is absurd IMHO , had the ref seen it and been a red card its a one match suspension , as the ref didnt see it (no fault of Andone's the ref didnt see it) he gets a 3 match ban which suggests Andone was able to do it on purpose knowing the ref could not see.

The system has been good for clearing unwarranted cards but to use it to give an increased ban simply because the officials had no view of an incident is wrong and unfair especially when you look at incidents like Lukaku's against Bong last season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If proven, is it a 3 match ban ?

I agree plead guilty hope to get of with a warning .

The fact he has been charged, means that the FA have already considered the footage and have found him guilty.

He has a right to appeal that guilty verdict, but history suggests that is a waste of time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The whole retrospective thing is absurd IMHO , had the ref seen it and been a red card its a one match suspension , as the ref didnt see it (no fault of Andone's the ref didnt see it) he gets a 3 match ban.

It’s considered violent conduct. Would be a three match ban if given at the time, too.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The ref must have been aware of something because Field went down, and stayed down. The ref walked over to him to see what was wrong.

Besides, we’re supposed to believe that an experienced ref at the top of the profession isnt keeping his eye on the two players contesting the ball?

We’ve been stitched up on this one. No doubt ref saw it, and like the rest of the ground didn’t think anything of it in real time. Sees it after and dishonestly to my mind as it looks a lot worse on replays, he’s gone with he hasn’t seen it.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I see, he’s got no field of vision, that will explain him missing the pen, not giving corners, and other mistakes.

I always thought the ref does not ball watch but looks at the area where the ball is expected to arrive. This is quite noticeable at corners and set pieces.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fact he has been charged, means that the FA have already considered the footage and have found him guilty.

He has a right to appeal that guilty verdict, but history suggests that is a waste of time.

While you’re probably right on appealing, I’d be tempted to send in footage and stills and ask for clarification as to how exactly the ref hasn’t seen it when he’s a few metres away looking at the incident.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
While you’re probably right on appealing, I’d be tempted to send in footage and stills and ask for clarification as to how exactly the ref hasn’t seen it when he’s a few metres away looking at the incident.

‘The ref should have seen it and sent me off at the time’, isn’t a great defence, though!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I always thought the ref does not ball watch but looks at the area where the ball is expected to arrive. This is quite noticeable at corners and set pieces.

Exactly, don’t forget Andone has already taken one in the face in this tussle, no way the ref has his attention on these two, even if for a split moment he looks at the ball.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He didn't notice Button getting belted in the face, resulting in a cut which bled, Specsavers has an appointment made for him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The whole retrospective thing is absurd IMHO , had the ref seen it and been a red card its a one match suspension , as the ref didnt see it (no fault of Andone's the ref didnt see it) he gets a 3 match ban which suggests Andone was able to do it on purpose knowing the ref could not see.

The system has been good for clearing unwarranted cards but to use it to give an increased ban simply because the officials had no view of an incident is wrong and unfair especially when you look at incidents like Lukaku's against Bong last season.

As someone pointed out, your interpretation is wrong as it is violent conduct whether at the time or retrospectively. Personally there should be more retrospective action, especially for diving, whether or not the referee saw it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This whole ''missed by the ref'' business is a farce. The ref may have seen something but in the cold light of day after watching countless for a load of different angles may feel that they got it wrong after more time to consider it and away from the pressure of baying fans an both sets of players in his face. What exactly are they trying to achieve with this nonsense rule?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here