Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "Frank Lampard's Derby Cup game - East Stand Upper + West Stand Upper OPEN

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Typical reply by Paul Barber choosing to make so much of Roger Lewis wanting to retain his own seat. The truth is nearly all of us who prefer to watch from upper levels whether West or East knew the game would attract over 18000 and therefore at a minimum East Upper would open. Appreciate not long to sell tickets but way tickets sales went to ST holders and members there was no excuse not to open East Upper by Sunday at latest. With vast money now coming into club mention about receiving only 45% of gate receipts and having to watch finances is a lot of crap. There is £160k prize money for this game and then one game for semis. ( I think loser takes majority of gate receipts). Would much prefer to have seen club show some enthusiasm and optimism for attendance at game . Refuse to believe that even with prices at reasonable £5/10/15 club would lose money with a gate of 18000 and so what if it did for a one off cup game. We must after all produce £800k plus for league games

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Roger is clearly a member of Ernie's ARS.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
"add in the fact that Frank Lampard is the manager of Derby and it all points to a bumper gate"

WTAF? I don't think I've ever considered the opposition manager when deciding whether to attend a match. Does this have any credibility at all?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"add in the fact that Frank Lampard is the manager of Derby and it all points to a bumper gate"

If Roger Lewis does actually exist, then he definitely posts on here as [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] ...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is amazing that we've gone from a dilapidated ground, to Gillingham, to the Withdean, to not being able to sit anywhere but an elevated position in an upper tier.

The drama football fans can express holds no bounds. Imagine what your 20 year younger self would say to you if he could hear you now having a right go at the club for not opening an upper tier over 6 days before a game. That would be an incredible conversation.

20 year younger you "I'm fighting for the very existence of my football club"

20 year older you "I'm fighting for the right to buy a seat in the upper tier where I want when I want"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is amazing that we've gone from a dilapidated ground, to Gillingham, to the Withdean, to not being able to sit anywhere but an elevated position in an upper tier.

The drama football fans can express holds no bounds. Imagine what your 20 year younger self would say to you if he could hear you now having a right go at the club for not opening an upper tier over 6 days before a game. That would be an incredible conversation.

20 year younger you "I'm fighting for the very existence of my football club"

20 year older you "I'm fighting for the right to buy a seat in the upper tier where I want when I want"

"I'm simply not prepared to pay £15 to watch the Albion try to reach the quarter finals of the FA Cup, if there's a possibility I might get wet"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The "sit in my seat" from some fans is clearly nonsense.

I don't think PB's reply covers why the club doesn’t at least open ESU on day one of sales. Surely they can predict a 18k+ crowd?!

The rush of sales in ESU today has PROVED many fans simply want to sit in upper. (No-one's rushing because of Saturday's result).

Anyway, you can't knock the pricing. Or the option to buy +3 tickets. Most of the FA Cup ticket policy is spot on.

When someone starts with respectfully, or with all due respect, it is translated as **** you!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
when FA Cup rules mean we retain just 45 per cent of net revenues, we must manage all of our costs wisely
Does this mean we made no money from the gate receipts at WBA. Having opened the whole ground it must have cost a fortune. A case of getting it wrong.

You forget that a home cup tie is effectively a free hit. Not in the budget as it can't be guaranteed. The club will be making a profit on this game. They won £180k for beating WBA plus 45% share of net revenue from two matches (the second live on TV). This week they will earn more due to the game being live (last year I believe a live 5th round tie had a tv fee of £247,500).

If they sell 27k at £15 (yes I know there are concessions but I don't know the split) so let's say an average of £12, that's gate revenue of £324k. Chuck in the money from concessions etc.

I don't really have a clue as to what the match day cost is of opening the whole stadium but let's say £150K. That's more than covered by the tv revenue alone!! I'm sure someone like El Presidente with have a better handle on the true costs.

With regard to opening the upper levels, common sense would suggest you open WSU first as it is the larger of the two but I suspect the club want the stadium to look full on the telly as that helps keep the sponsors happy!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You forget that a home cup tie is effectively a free hit. Not in the budget as it can't be guaranteed. The club will be making a profit on this game. They won £180k for beating WBA plus 45% share of net revenue from two matches (the second live on TV). This week they will earn more due to the game being live (last year I believe a live 5th round tie had a tv fee of £247,500).

If they sell 27k at £15 (yes I know there are concessions but I don't know the split) so let's say an average of £12, that's gate revenue of £324k. Chuck in the money from concessions etc.

I don't really have a clue as to what the match day cost is of opening the whole stadium but let's say £150K. That's more than covered by the tv revenue alone!! I'm sure someone like El Presidente with have a better handle on the true costs.

With regard to opening the upper levels, common sense would suggest you open WSU first as it is the larger of the two but I suspect the club want the stadium to look full on the telly as that helps keep the sponsors happy!!

You're not accounting for both VAT and the transport subsidy, both substantial.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My ST. Seat is in WSL and I like it very much. Being close to the pitch and seeing the players up close is good but I know it’s not my seat for cup games. I enjoy the chance to go somewhere else. Never been in ESU before so am delighted to get a different view, front row actually. Don’t understand all the angst about not getting “my seat” for cup matches. Enjoy the new view.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Roger Lewis : an someone please explain to me who took the idiotic decision not to open the upper east for the Derby FA Cup game. but I doubt very much they will respond.
Roger Lewis, Parkside, Shoreham

If Roger Lewis isn't a wind up then he's clearly not familiar with NSC Or Paul Barber. We all know that PB was always going to respond at length literally within minutes of The Argus sharing the letter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Like I said, I don't know the exact figures but I guess a lot would depend on the cost of opening the whole stadium. I may have over estimated or under estimated!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

It also doesn't take into account 1901 tickets. They are a fixed income for the club for the season no matter how may games we play, but (if I understand correctly) Derby and the FA will be entitled to 55% of whatever value the club put on approximately three thousand 1901 tickets for the match. So before any income is earned from this fixture the club are starting from a point of effectively being tens of thousands of pounds down. At these prices it's not inconceivable that the club would need to sell around 7 or 8 thousand tickets just to cover this.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If Roger Lewis isn't a wind up then he's clearly not familiar with NSC Or Paul Barber. We all know that PB was always going to respond at length literally within minutes of The Argus sharing the letter.

You are right paul, you are very quick to reply. Cheers mate

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
See: last 12 or so posts in this thread. Very, very easy to argue with his rationale.

I do understand that and can see both sides.

The underlying issue though is there seems to be a feeling in our support now that the club shouldn't be penny pinching in this way anymore given the size of the tv income. However PB clearly thinks he still needs to and by doing so maximises profits (or minimises losses) which is his job. At the end of day it's not our money, it's Tony Bloom's and we can't argue with the very decent prices for this game either.

As recent games have shown we are not yet certain to be in this league next season and therefore the club has to continue to run the business prudently where it can.

For what it's worth I agree that they should have opened the whole ground from day one and was very surprised they didn't, however I am struck by and admire the general cautious approach that they are still taking to running the club.

Don't get me started on the idea of a warm weather training break though.... (them and us).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
PB not worried about coming across as sarcastic and condescending, clearly.

I'd like to say "wind your neck in". In fact, I think I will.

I have no idea how PB stops himself from beginning every communication with:-

'oi nimrod shut the f**k up and this is why'...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
For what it's worth I agree that they should have opened the whole ground from day one and was very surprised they didn't, however I am struck by and admire the general cautious approach that they are still taking to running the club.

I don't want the club to lose money unnecessarily. I do think the club has been over-cautious (again), and that ESU could - and should - have been on sale on day one with zero risk.

That's the v last word I'm writing about it. Probably.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here