Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nantes FC and Cardiff

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Yes it's a tragic accident, but hand on heart, the guy didn't kick a ball in anger for Cardiff, do not get the fuss. Nantes must be due the fee, as we say on here several times, football is now a business.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think there was a late change of pilot which took place AFTER the flight had been chartered. Ibbottson was drafted in at late notice for some reason, replacing the original pilot, and was not experienced at flying this aircraft over the sea at night. This could end up being a key factor.

This could end up as a complete shit storm !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You have to hope that both parties can eventually get round the table and sort this out face to face rather than this all being played out through the media ..which just sours the recent memorials of the player who died

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
That's just tough luck. They would see the other side in the same situation. Common sense should prevail, and if the insurance pays out that should be the end of it.

No it’s not. Nantes had sold Sala to Cardiff. The deal was done. What happens after that is nothing to do with Nantes. While a Nantes player Nantes would have insurance that they could claim against. As soon as the deal to sell him was complete Nantes would no longer have insurance for him but Cardiff would have. Therefore Cardiff pay Nantes and claim on their insurance.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's just tough luck. They would see the other side in the same situation. Common sense should prevail, and if the insurance pays out that should be the end of it.

This is a contractual dispute and Cardiff have already intimated that they are looking at the small print which strongly suggests they are looking to get out of the deal. Nantes sold the player so Cardiff should honour that agreement. If they subsequently find fault with the contract then deal with that through the courts. There are two issues, the contract between Nantes and Cardiff and then the insurance contract that Cardiff have in force. If Cardiff are looking to get out of paying the fee, that would suggest to me they have possibly already identified a potential problem with a claim under their insurance.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree with people who have said the following.

This should have been done behind closed doors and not using words such as demand
Cardiff surely have to pay Nantes and Bordeaux the money they owe
There's unlikely to be a significant delay in the insurance payout due to the reputational risk of the insurer

I don't agree that it's necessarily the agent who arranged a flight who is at fault. As far as we know, the plane hasn't failed any safety tests and the pilot was correctly licensed.

Total speculation on this (as I don't know whether football clubs set up their insurance collectively or for individual players), but it's also possible that Cardiff were setting the insurance up but the policy hadn't started yet. This could be because they hadn't had time to verify any medical etc details about the player in order for the insurer to individually underwrite the risk. Lots of life insurance has a limited amount of cover available for death through accident before policy starts, but this would totally depend on the insurer. If they have group insurance for all playing staff, then full cover should be in place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The insurance covers the players fee (16 mill). However, as I said earlier there is some technicalities that could see this being 30 mill. Cardiff losing out on 14 of that.
Yes, but if that £14M is bonuses for appearances, performances, getting promotion, etc. they obviously won't apply.

Sidwell Jnr

Jan 16, 2019
The clubs and the insurance company should go after Willie McKay, the agent. I believe he and his people were the ones who arranged the flight so it's their responsibility.

Mind you, it could also be that the player invalidated his own contract if there was a clause in it forbidding him to do dangerous things like chartering incorrectly licensed aircraft.

Yeah I read that McKay arranged the flight via messages with his son (who is a Cardiff player) and said there wouldn't be any charge for the flight.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/age...e-exchange-prior-to/w2vwnn9s9h2u15faa74xr1pn8

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
But its not just about Nantes and Cardiff and the £15 million transfer fee
Brokers fee, Willie Mckay.
Bordeaux, sell on fee.
Sala's agent's commission,
Nantes owner was due a fee according to The Mail on Sunday.
This is going to get very messy

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes, but if that £14M is bonuses for appearances, performances, getting promotion, etc. they obviously won't apply.

I shall, a little later, try and find the article, this wasn't anything to do with the extras.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Agree with people who have said the following.

This should have been done behind closed doors and not using words such as demand
Cardiff surely have to pay Nantes and Bordeaux the money they owe
There's unlikely to be a significant delay in the insurance payout due to the reputational risk of the insurer

I don't agree that it's necessarily the agent who arranged a flight who is at fault. As far as we know, the plane hasn't failed any safety tests and the pilot was correctly licensed.

Total speculation on this (as I don't know whether football clubs set up their insurance collectively or for individual players), but it's also possible that Cardiff were setting the insurance up but the policy hadn't started yet. This could be because they hadn't had time to verify any medical etc details about the player in order for the insurer to individually underwrite the risk. Lots of life insurance has a limited amount of cover available for death through accident before policy starts, but this would totally depend on the insurer. If they have group insurance for all playing staff, then full cover should be in place.

Be interested to see a French version of the "demand" the words demander and commander are frequently mis-used in english. Personally, this has everything to do with insurance, they should all have kept it quiet....

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
No it’s not. Nantes had sold Sala to Cardiff. The deal was done. What happens after that is nothing to do with Nantes. While a Nantes player Nantes would have insurance that they could claim against. As soon as the deal to sell him was complete Nantes would no longer have insurance for him but Cardiff would have. Therefore Cardiff pay Nantes and claim on their insurance.

So depends upon whether or not Cardiff ( it was certainly their shout ) had activated insurance cover by the time of the accident. So either way, Cardiff are still obligated to pay for the transfer. Interesting !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some saying they should have not done anything, Nantes dont really have a choice if they have bills to pay. some say it should have been done quietly, perhaps it was until some journalist poked his nose in. reading the article, it may not even be contentious, party A has "demanded payment" - technical term, party B is says they'll honour contract but checking details. there may not even be a story here.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm guessing Cardiff have leaked this story, so any accusations of disrespecting the dead should only be levelled at them. All Nantes have done is sent a reminder that payment was overdue, and a further reminder containing the appropriate legal language in case the situation escalates after that was ignored.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm guessing Cardiff have leaked this story, so any accusations of disrespecting the dead should only be levelled at them. All Nantes have done is sent a reminder that payment was overdue, and a further reminder containing the appropriate legal language in case the situation escalates after that was ignored.

In what way is Nantes' behaviour appropriate? They could wait for the body to be recovered, no? I know it's a lot money to them, and to Bordeaux, but do they really need to be panhandling already?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Assuming somebody at Cardiff didn't say "let leave the insurance paperwork until Monday, what's the worst that could happen"

This is exactly what I thought - would they naturally update their player insurance the same day the player signs ?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'll try to reserve judgement until I've seen an actual statement from Nantes, as the report is rather emmotively worded in that they have "demanded" the first instalment.

IF its true though, then it is very distasteful when they haven't even officially recovered or identified the bodie(s) from that wreckage yet. Its being paid over 3 years anyway, they should have a bit of class and wind their necks in for the time being when it comes to the finances over this tragedy. And it should certainly not be made public when the families are still grieving.

that .....!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here