Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nantes FC and Cardiff

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I suppose there could be an argument that if the clearance from the French FA to the English FA has not gone through then he is still a Nantes player as he would not be eligable to play for Cardiff. Im not sure how that would stand in a court though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think Cardiff have a legal leg to stand on, as the player had already signed the contract, and wouldn't have been travelling back to Wales on that plane otherwise.
Although it is very soon after the tragedy, Nantes have every right to ask for the first instalment of money.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I just assumed all money transactions were null and void after the tragedy occurred.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can see Cardiff's point of view. This was a trip to go back to Nantes, Cardiff offered a commercial flight, but this was done seemingly though the player's or Nantes agent. Cardiff could argue they wouldn't have wanted any such risk with their new player, and so may well feel they have a legal case for that risk being taken without their consent. Are there exclusions in players contracts about what they can and can't do, how they can or can't travel? I don't suppose you spend £15m and £4m per year on a player then let them ride around on motorbikes or go on skiing holidays or other dangerous outdoor pursuits.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Oh dear.

I was hoping that Cardiff City and Nantes could play each other every pre-season and I know half-and-half scarves get a bad press but it would be lovely to be knitted and sold for free. Maybe season-ticket holders? In the colours of blue and yellow.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh dear.

I was hoping that Cardiff City and Nantes could play each other every pre-season and I know half-and-half scarves get a bad press but it would be lovely to be knitted and sold for free. Maybe season-ticket holders? In the colours of blue and yellow.

Are you feeling better now?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The insurance should pay to both parties then. They shouldn't be making demands to Cardiff at this sensitive time.

The insurance covers the players fee (16 mill). However, as I said earlier there is some technicalities that could see this being 30 mill. Cardiff losing out on 14 of that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The insurance should pay to both parties then. They shouldn't be making demands to Cardiff at this sensitive time.

It might be sensitive but it is legal. A lot of French clubs don't have very much money unlike the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here