Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you be happy for the Albion to lose the match if it stopped Palace winning a trophy?

Who would you want to win?

• Albion win

Votes: 45 42.1%
  • Albion lose

Votes: 51 47.7%
  • Draw/Don't care etc.

Votes: 11 10.3%

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A more likely scenario then:

If it was the final day of the season, and we were already safe, and our last game of the season was vs Cardiff, and Palace needed us to beat them to have a chance of staying up....

...I'd laugh my tits off if we lost and sent them down. Sorry. I just would.

I was at St Mary’s on freebies, the day Saints got relegated from the Prem in 2005. As well as their own, the result that sent them down, was Portsmouth losing at West Brom. Apparently the Portsmouth fans celebrated the West Brom goals as much as any they’d ever scored themselves.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
They've discontinued the Full Members' Cup, so what trophy could we be talking about?

I remember in 1995 Liverpool had it their power to deny Manchester United the title by letting Blackburn win or draw at Anfield. As it happened they went 1-0 down but hit back to win 2-1. Fortunately for them the Red Filth could only draw at West Ham so Blackburn won the title anyway and Liverpool kept their integrity.

Everton have to go all out to beat City. Anything else is unacceptable. As New York Jets head coach Herm Edwards once said, "You play to win the game."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was at St Mary’s on freebies, the day Saints got relegated from the Prem in 2005. As well as their own, the result that sent them down, was Portsmouth losing at West Brom. Apparently the Portsmouth fans celebrated the West Brom goals as much as any they’d ever scored themselves.

I do vaguely recall that now you mention it. Didn't West Brom stay up at Stains expense that day ? Bryan Robson was in charge IIRC. Must've been a great party at the Hawthorns that day.

Its good, this type of thing, because it is genuinely funny (if you're not on the receiving end of course).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Robbing Palace of a trophy would be remembered for years at both ends of the A23 :thumbsup:

But wouldn't it be better if we could always remind them that they only won it because of us? We win, Palace win too but are forever in our debt?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why are you so obsessed with Palace?? there's more chance of hell freezing over than them winning anything.

Well not whilst they are in the Premier League...I would be gutted if they won League Two in a few years though.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Depends on the circumstance. Normally Albion win. In some special unusual circumstances - such as a loss leading to Palace being relegated... well, I wouldn't be too unhappy.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I dont understand the continued Palace hate , they are just A.N.Other team we have to beat to stay in the prem . Its fine to make fun of how their club is run , banter between fans is fine and its great to not like them but to hate another team so much you want your own team to lose its just sad.

Lets win our own games and not worry ourselves or work ourselves into unnecessary lather about other teams.

Quite.
Am bored with the anti Palace obsession.
Likewise with the 'Smug Eddie' digs and with no disrespect to CH, I would love to see what he could do with our squad.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Brighton win. Not particularly bothered about Palace really.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I mistakenly voted for a Brighton defeat.

Apologies for misunderstanding the the vote, a lifelong automated response got their before the brain kicked in and I realised what i’d done.

Enjoy.

:shootself

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I wasn't there when we won promtion at Newcastle in 1979 (too young), but heard that Newcastle fans were cheering us on as it meant Sunderland couldn't get promoted, anyone know if that's true?

Fwiw i would be delighted if us losing a game sent Palace down, especially if they had played their hearts out, won their game and were relying on Brighton getting at least a point to keep them up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here