Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T "Fleecehold" scandal - Please sign this petition and support fellow Albion fans

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
O/T "Fleecehold" scandal - Please sign this petition and support fellow Albion fans

Please take two mins to sign and share:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/238071

Albion fans have a great track record in fighting injustice and greed so it would be great if you would sign the petition to support the thousands of people trapped in the "fleecehold" scandal.

This is affecting Albion fans in Sussex, although the greatest hit area is the North West.

In a nutshell, there are tens of thousands of people unable to sell their "un-mortgageable" new build leasehold flats and houses, as a result of cleverly hidden clauses inserted by the big developers such as Taylor Wimpey, which double their ground rents every 5 or 10 years. Mortgage lenders and solicitors have now clocked on to this and will not lend on such properties because of "onerous ground rents", making them unsalable.

Conveyancing solicitors did not highlight this issue to prospective buyers (nor to their mortgage lenders) at the time of purchase and the issue has only come to light in the last year or so. Most affected are young people who struggled to buy their first home and are now trapped, thanks to the greed of developers, lack of awareness by the legal profession and inaction by Government.

Campaign group "National leasehold Campaign" want Government action. Disappointingly, Conservative MP Heather Wheeler, at Ministry of Housing, doesn't think so,instead blaming buyers "excitement" at buying their first home and "failing to check their leases properly".No doubt her private education makes her far superior to ordinary folk trying to get on the housing ladder.

Thanks and don't forget to sign.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If I have read it correctly this petition is advocating that leaseholds should be abolished generally, not this specific case you highlight, i.e. the "doubling of ground rents every 5 or 10 years".

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Yes you are right. Because the current leasehold system is not fit for purpose, as evidenced by the scandal I have highlighted. Making this an agenda for Government will help force the issue and get redress for those ripped off under the current system.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Doubling of a £100 per month ground rent every 5 years, means that in 50 years it is an eye watering £102,400 per month.

Ouch.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
respectfully, the clauses are not hidden, they are just overlooked. a lot of solicitors should be liable for not drawing homeowners attention to them. some sort of legal case to target them may have a more productive resolution.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Support fellow Albion fans?

I guess we're in the era whereby anything can be sensationalised by attaching it to a group people care about, however tenuous. Feel free to flame me, I will sign the petition, but not in support of Albion fans but for leaseholders

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
respectfully, the clauses are not hidden, they are just overlooked. a lot of solicitors should be liable for not drawing homeowners attention to them. some sort of legal case to target them may have a more productive resolution.

This. It’s extremely distressing for those who didn’t read the lease &/or those whose advisers didn’t, but I’m not convinced it’s a government issue, save perhaps for looking to see if they should bring in legislation to ban such clauses.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex

Hidden or overlooked? Why have thousands of people missed this issue? Agree that a legal case may bring resolution, in 5 or 10 years. In the meantime growing families are trapped. in unsaleable homes. Lets have our Government focused on reform/redress.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

This. It’s extremely distressing for those who didn’t read the lease &/or those whose advisers didn’t, but I’m not convinced it’s a government issue, save perhaps for looking to see if they should bring in legislation to ban such clauses.

These are my thoughts, there are some legal people who will need to be making a claim on their professional indemnity insurance given their negligence in not correctly advising their clients of the onerous terms of the leasehold contract

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Another 'this' from me. Any decent solicitor should have pointed out these clauses, hell it's not actually difficult to read and understand the paperwork yourself.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex

"Help to buy" was a Government scheme. Massive earning opportunity for big developers like Taylor Wimpey, who weren't content with the profit on the new builds but flogged their investment making freeholds to offshore investors at the expense of their customers. Government failed to include guidance on fair leases in its initial registration requirements. It is a Government issue.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
"Help to buy" was a Government scheme. Massive earning opportunity for big developers like Taylor Wimpey, who weren't content with the profit on the new builds but flogged their investment making freeholds to offshore investors at the expense of their customers. Government failed to include guidance on fair leases in its initial registration requirements. It is a Government issue.

It looks like the government are already working on this and will introduce a ban on new build leaseholds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/implementing-reforms-to-the-leasehold-system

Admittedly this wont help those already affected by the doubling of ground rent and its a pretty scummy situation to find yourself in, but I am not sure this petition will help?

Either way have signed as I generally disagree with leaseholds.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd be taking action against my solicitor for not highlighting this at time of purchase. Surely it was known. How can it be a 'hidden' clause ?

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I'd be taking action against my solicitor for not highlighting this at time of purchase. Surely it was known. How can it be a 'hidden' clause ?

Well that's what I thought at first. Then you realise that your solicitor also acted for mortgage company as well and will no doubt be obligated to make mortgage company aware that they have loaned against a property with "onerous ground rent" which is against their lending criteria. You run the risk that mortgage company won't allow a mortgage renewal. Can't re-mortgage elsewhere as lenders won't now lend on these properties. It could take many years and lots of legal fees for a successful case. If Government forced the hand of these developers to convert to share of freehold or renewed leases with non-escalating ground rents, redress could happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here