Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Offside

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This, if you're on the pitch you are active, as it's possible a defender has pushed up beyond where he might be, to catch you off. Regardless of whether the ball goes to you or not.

Agree, keep it simple, if you're in an offside position, you're offside. Running the line at kids football is a bloody minefield. He's not interfering, he's offside because of Phase f***ing 27!

We need offside otherwise I'd have no reason to stay for a beer and discuss things. We also don't want hoofball instead of football and we must take into account the "alleged" FA policy of making it the same for the park as we do at Wembley, so that's four lino's out as you can't even rely on getting a ref these days

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think the biggest problem isnt the rule itself, but the fact that now virtually everygame is recorded and can be viewed from multiple angles instantly and action frozen so people can measure to the millimetre if someone's nose is in front of or behind someone else's toe on the other side of the pitch. The matchday officials have to make instant decisions and are expected to get all of them correct, when we are talking about minute distances when players and ball are all moving at speed. The same goes for fouls , technology enables everything to be frozen and analysed time and again from every conceivable angle apart from the one angle that actually matters-the view that the official making the call has. Of course mistakes are made, some glaring and obvious but most of the time these decisions are very fine margins and should be accepted, otherwise the game will be ruined as every incident is examined in minute detail. VAR will solve a lot IF its implemented using "Clear and Obvious" but I fear it wont be used that way. If it takes a computer to work out that Knocky was offside because of the length of his nose and the goal disallowed its not "Clear and Obvious" . The game is doomed!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You should only be able to be offside beyond the 18 yard box not as it currently stands where you can be offside in your own half now.

Unless somethings changed recently, no you can’t.

Can't remember the game, but we actually had a free kick given against us in our own half for offside quite recently at the Amex.

I think this was down to blind, rank steaming incompetence on behalf of the officials though, as opposed to an actual rulechange.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can't remember the game, but we actually had a free kick given against us in our own half for offside quite recently at the Amex.

I think this was down to blind, rank steaming incompetence on behalf of the officials though, as opposed to an actual rulechange.

Nice one :thumbsup:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Which is the problem.

There's nothing wrong with the law, just the beast it's morphed into.
It really shouldn't be difficult:-

No attacking player is allowed beyond one or both of the last 2 defenders without the ball or before the ball is played to them.

I agree. I think it's just morphed into something unsustainable and impossible to interpret. For example, everyone moaned about Liverpool's goal at the weekend, but in the old days West Ham's goal would've been ruled out too. This phases of play thing, for example, is another issue where players can be between defenders and goalkeeper, right in the middle of the goal, but because the ball is played slightly beyond them to another player they aren't offside until they are actually passed the ball, despite the fact that they're interfering with the opposition's defence.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

That was discussed on here and the placement of the kick was verified by a couple of local refs. Baffling to most at The Amex but correct. Apparently.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
It really is not that difficult. Offside only becomes an offence when the player interfers with play eg by coming back from an offside position into his own half and tackles an opponent. The free kick is then given at the point of the tackle. That is why offside can be penalised in your own half.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Attwell ?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It really is not that difficult. Offside only becomes an offence when the player interfers with play eg by coming back from an offside position into his own half and tackles an opponent. The free kick is then given at the point of the tackle. That is why offside can be penalised in your own half.

Sorry to be a pedant, but you can't be offside tackling an opponent. That would mean that the opposition are in possession of the ball. It would only work if you come from an offisde position to recieve a pass.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That was discussed on here and the placement of the kick was verified by a couple of local refs. Baffling to most at The Amex but correct. Apparently.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I can't keep up with all these obscure, absurd little rulings.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’d quite like to see football with no offside tried by proper players. I’m not totally convinced that it would have the negative effects that you would think …..

Yes, there would be some teams, that would immediately stick a 6 foot 8 player on the goalie and one or two feeding off the knock downs, but there are problems with this strategy …..

• Those players have to come from somewhere on the pitch you are going to leave yourself outnumbered in other areas of the pitch, most importantly the midfield.
• The rest of your team are going to get nowhere near your strikers which means most long balls won’t work
• You’re also going to concede a lot of possession which means you’re going to have to defend a lot of counter attacks through the midfield.

I don’t think it would take long for teams to realise the Peter Crouch option isn’t going to work for them.

Instead I think you would see more mobile strikers making earlier runs in anticipation the midfield winning possession and playing them in. (Andone, would do better than Murray with this rule change I think). Defenders and strikers would have to move up and down rather than hold a line most of the game, and so fitness would be a greater determinant of who will win the game.

Midfielders will generally have more space and will have to look for the forward ball quicker. Keepers would have to player further off their lines.

If offside was abolished, loads of the contentious decisions could be removed, the games only complicated rule would be consigned to the history books, play would speed up, Linos would be irrelevant (and could go and man the VAR instead) and football fans might just wonder why they spent so much time watching a version of the game compressed into the middle third of the pitch.

Or I could be totally wrong and it could be rubbish. I don’t know. That’s why I’d like to se it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’d quite like to see football with no offside tried by proper players. I’m not totally convinced that it would have the negative effects that you would think …..

Yes, there would be some teams, that would immediately stick a 6 foot 8 player on the goalie and one or two feeding off the knock downs, but there are problems with this strategy …..

• Those players have to come from somewhere on the pitch you are going to leave yourself outnumbered in other areas of the pitch, most importantly the midfield.
• The rest of your team are going to get nowhere near your strikers which means most long balls won’t work
• You’re also going to concede a lot of possession which means you’re going to have to defend a lot of counter attacks through the midfield.

I don’t think it would take long for teams to realise the Peter Crouch option isn’t going to work for them.

Instead I think you would see more mobile strikers making earlier runs in anticipation the midfield winning possession and playing them in. (Andone, would do better than Murray with this rule change I think). Defenders and strikers would have to move up and down rather than hold a line most of the game, and so fitness would be a greater determinant of who will win the game.

Midfielders will generally have more space and will have to look for the forward ball quicker. Keepers would have to player further off their lines.

If offside was abolished, loads of the contentious decisions could be removed, the games only complicated rule would be consigned to the history books, play would speed up, Linos would be irrelevant (and could go and man the VAR instead) and football fans might just wonder why they spent so much time watching a version of the game compressed into the middle third of the pitch.

Or I could be totally wrong and it could be rubbish. I don’t know. That’s why I’d like to se it.

Are you Our Glenn and what do I win?

Murrayoffside appears to agree with you.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
yes we need offside and nothing wrong with it, except the crappy "active" or "interfering with play" nonsense.

Agreed.

"If any one of my players isn’t interfering with play, they’re not getting paid." Brian Clough

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry to be a pedant, but you can't be offside tackling an opponent. That would mean that the opposition are in possession of the ball. It would only work if you come from an offisde position to recieve a pass.

Sorry, but I don’t follow your point at all. You’re completely incorrect. Absolutely you can be coming back from an offside position, and be flagged when becoming active by making a challenge on an opposing player’s :shrug:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sorry, but I don’t follow your point at all. You’re completely incorrect. Absolutely you can be coming back from an offside position, and be flagged when becoming active by making a challenge on an opposing player’s :shrug:

This.

And for the record. Keep offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here