Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Offside

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes, goalhangers but more room for football as the players get more spread out. And no more, "well it was given but it shouldn't have been" or "it was a perfectly good goal but the lino was blind".
It still works in Hockey (Ice), perhaps because it is less complicated. With VAR coming in next season there will be less 'blind linesmen' decisions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It still works in Hockey (Ice), perhaps because it is less complicated. With VAR coming in next season there will be less 'blind linesmen' decisions.

True, but we've reached the point where half the fans don't even know the offside rules anymore. Seen regularly on here. And anything that means less VAR is good in my book.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am not sure if it would work, but I would like to see off sides only be active from the goal line to 18 yard line.

Would stretch the pitch

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There is that Subbuteo line........ surely saying his foots offside shows where we have got to is confusing. What about the trackers they use nowadays cant they be adapted to show who is off?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

You cant play a pass the entire length of the ice to them though. An alternative to offside and just as annoying. Thats why it works. I cant believe people would consider this as it would mean at least one striker sat permanently in the penalty area. You should only be able to be offside beyond the 18 yard box not as it currently stands where you can be offside in your own half now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d like to see any part of the body in line with the last defendeir when the ball is played as being onside rather than having to be level or behind.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True, but we've reached the point where half the fans don't even know the offside rules anymore. Seen regularly on here. And anything that means less VAR is good in my book.

Which is the problem.

There's nothing wrong with the law, just the beast it's morphed into.
It really shouldn't be difficult:-

No attacking player is allowed beyond one or both of the last 2 defenders without the ball or before the ball is played to them.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
They should allow up to one yard offside. Murray would benefit.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
You cant play a pass the entire length of the ice to them though. An alternative to offside and just as annoying. Thats why it works. I cant believe people would consider this as it would mean at least one striker sat permanently in the penalty area. You should only be able to be offside beyond the 18 yard box not as it currently stands where you can be offside in your own half now.

Unless somethings changed recently, no you can’t.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, they really created a hornet’s nest when they started tinkering with the rules. It leaves defenders not knowing their arses from their elbows when trying to defend and creates even more with the fans, especially if it’s your side on the receiving end. I have no idea why they changed something that wasn’t broken. Another example of the football authorities making changes because they haven’t anything else more important to make their mark with.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes we need offside and nothing wrong with it, except the crappy "active" or "interfering with play" nonsense.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How about having 4 linos rather than VAR or abolishing offside?

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
yes we need offside and nothing wrong with it, except the crappy "active" or "interfering with play" nonsense.

This, if you're on the pitch you are active, as it's possible a defender has pushed up beyond where he might be, to catch you off. Regardless of whether the ball goes to you or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here