Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Supermarket self service checkouts

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You'll miss her when she's gone more than you'll ever be able to admit to yourself.

This is a very interesting thread in general though.

I don't really like the self service thing, but today on the way home I bought a tin of Branston baked beans and a pint of semi-skimmed milk using one, paying via the magic of contactless and engaging the 'skip bagging' function.
No I won't.
I'm just amazed she has tried to sell people some lucky heather or a palace shirt.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Greatest invention EVER.

There's an old Doris in my local Tesco's Expressgos who calls everyone:-

My lovely
Darling
Babe

etc etc etc.

I dream of the day when the store is completely automated.

You wait until the machines start doing that as well.......

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Greatest invention EVER.

There's an old Doris in my local Tesco's Expressgos who calls everyone:-

My lovely
Darling
Babe

etc etc etc.

I dream of the day when the store is completely automated.
I love it when shop staff are friendly like that. Sad I know but it makes my day. Nice to be nice and I find it quite respectful

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They don't give out any coins as change that customers put into them. As most machines only have 5 coin slots to be loaded tod dispense as change, as they're based on US coinage, the most efficient types of coins for the purposes of change have to be put in those 5 slots. Therefore they're only loaded with denominations of coins that best cover all eventualities of payment for efficiency of use. 10p and 50p coins aren't efficient as others.

[/
100 percent I am gonna lead a conversation somewhere that I can squeeze that fact in. Brilliant. Right up there with the origin of the word " tip(s) "

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's the people who use the self service very slowly that I can't stand. The ones who don't pack as they go and only think about pack after making the transaction. They should Foff back to the normal tills for people with two left feet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They don't give out any coins as change that customers put into them. As most machines only have 5 coin slots to be loaded tod dispense as change, as they're based on US coinage, the most efficient types of coins for the purposes of change have to be put in those 5 slots. Therefore they're only loaded with denominations of coins that best cover all eventualities of payment for efficiency of use. 10p and 50p coins aren't efficient as others.

Great knowledge [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's the people who use the self service very slowly that I can't stand. The ones who don't pack as they go and only think about pack after making the transaction. They should Foff back to the normal tills for people with two left feet.

I would like to pack the stuff into my rucksack but that sends the dippy thing mental with unexpected item in the bagging area. Hardly encourages people to take their own bag.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire

Or the people who go to the self service till with a massive trolley full of goods and then wonder why they cant fit it all on the bagging shelf :facepalm:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No I won't.
I'm just amazed she has tried to sell people some lucky heather or a palace shirt.
I hope one day or evening you go in desperate for alcohol or tobacco and have to go to her at the counter and she tells you to f#ck off "me lovely" go get the electronic assistant to serve you if it can

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Ha! Me too! I used to put my change in an old bottle and periodically take it to the bank. Now I just wait until I've got £2-£3 in shrapnel and buy a sandwich or something. Saves all that tedious bagging and weighing.

But some of the supermarkets have/had machines which would take the shrapnel and dispense it as 'something else' larger denominations I am sure ? Perhaps that was when I was a boy !

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, guilty. The reason for that is if I try and pack as I go, no matter how carefully I follow the instructions it always says "Unexpected item in bagging area" and the 'Warning, Potential Thief' red light flashes. I then have to wait until a service droid has come over and re-programmed Tesco's entire POS system before I can continue.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
But some of the supermarkets have/had machines which would take the shrapnel and dispense it as 'something else' larger denominations I am sure ? Perhaps that was when I was a boy !

Yeah, ASDA have a machine like that. You can put in all your loose change and it gives you back notes and/or larger denomination coins - but it charges a fee for doing it!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah, ASDA have a machine like that. You can put in all your loose change and it gives you back notes and/or larger denomination coins - but it charges a fee for doing it!

Thanks, wasn't aware they charge for that, just get rid of mine at the self service check the pay the balance by card !

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Or the people who go to the self service till with a massive trolley full of goods and then wonder why they cant fit it all on the bagging shelf :facepalm:

FOREVER THIS

As someone who works part-time in retail and occasionally supervises the checkouts, the amount of times customers complain about the self-service till not recognising their bags when they are trying to put through their entirely weekly shop makes me want to skull them with a 4 pack of tuna (in spring water, not brine...i'm not a savage).

The self-service is for small amounts of shopping, not when you're spending the equivalent to the GDP of a small country.

I could literally spend HOURS complaining about things customers do that makes me want to go postal...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I would like to pack the stuff into my rucksack but that sends the dippy thing mental with unexpected item in the bagging area. Hardly encourages people to take their own bag.

There is a solution but it involves being middle class. Waitrose do not have the weighted bagging area albeit the queue in mine is still slower than an articulated lorry turning round as the elderly clientele struggle to press the right button. I can't talk though, I had a Weston-super trying to find grapefruits the other day much to the annoyance of those behind me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, guilty. The reason for that is if I try and pack as I go, no matter how carefully I follow the instructions it always says "Unexpected item in bagging area" and the 'Warning, Potential Thief' red light flashes. I then have to wait until a service droid has come over and re-programmed Tesco's entire POS system before I can continue.

Exactly. I'd love to pack as I went along, but the machines don't let you. The minute you put your bag in the packing area, the system shuts down. Symyjym has the wrong target there

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here