Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Supermarket self service checkouts

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It’s a question I always ask myself when I walk away but does anyone know why none of them dispense 10p pieces in the Change? It’s only ever 20p, 5p, 2p and 1p coins.
I know it’s an odd thread but I need an explanation please.???

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Probably because I've just dumped all my 5p, 2p, 1p coins in them and it's trying to sick them out again. It's a perpetual battle.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I neither know, nor care.

That being said, I will probably notice if it happens to me (although unlikely as I would usually pay with a card).

Great thread though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's just pure incomtenpencey.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It’s a question I always ask myself when I walk away but does anyone know why none of them dispense 10p pieces in the Change? It’s only ever 20p, 5p, 2p and 1p coins.
I know it’s an odd thread but I need an explanation please.???

Because shrapnel is a pain in the ass to keep hold of, that's why they give it out in change.
As for 10p pieces, it's a mystery to me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They don't give out any coins as change that customers put into them. As most machines only have 5 coin slots to be loaded tod dispense as change, as they're based on US coinage, the most efficient types of coins for the purposes of change have to be put in those 5 slots. Therefore they're only loaded with denominations of coins that best cover all eventualities of payment for efficiency of use. 10p and 50p coins aren't efficient as others.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Probably because I've just dumped all my 5p, 2p, 1p coins in them and it's trying to sick them out again. It's a perpetual battle.

Ha! Me too! I used to put my change in an old bottle and periodically take it to the bank. Now I just wait until I've got £2-£3 in shrapnel and buy a sandwich or something. Saves all that tedious bagging and weighing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ha! Me too! I used to put my change in an old bottle and periodically take it to the bank. Now I just wait until I've got £2-£3 in shrapnel and buy a sandwich or something. Saves all that tedious bagging and weighing.

I did this the other day. £140 worth of silver shrapnel, counted out into bags of £5 and £10 which I took to pay into Lloyds. There must've been about 15 bags, but to my seething RAGE (ok, mild irritation) they won't take any more than 10 bags a time in any one day. So 2 separate trips then, ffs.

Why must life be a constant struggle ?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I did this the other day. £140 worth of silver shrapnel, counted out into bags of £5 and £10 which I took to pay into Lloyds. There must've been about 15 bags, but to my seething RAGE (ok, mild irritation) they won't take any more than 10 bags a time in any one day. So 2 separate trips then, ffs.

Why must life be a constant struggle ?

Maybe it is. But isn't it also one of life's triumphs that you have actually counted the coins correctly when the counter staff weigh the bag and confirm it is the correct weight :)??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe it is. But isn't it also one of life's triumphs that you have actually counted the coins correctly when the counter staff weigh the bag and confirm it is the correct weight :)??

That is certainly a 'punch the air' moment, I must admit. A bit like that moment when you finally finish a thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle.

Buzzing.

el punal

It's just pure incomtenpencey.

It’s people like you! Euro always going to make a drachma out of of a crisis, mark my words. To be franc I’m surprised you and your kronas didn’t take a punt at having a quick lire at the attractive sales assistant when you were at the cheque out, but then again you’ve got no cents. Oh well, I suppose you could go and put your loose change in the zloty machine and win enough for a dinar or maybe a rouble murray takeaway. Pound to a penny you’ll lose the lot.

I shall now retire to my darkened room. :drink:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
They don't give out any coins as change that customers put into them. As most machines only have 5 coin slots to be loaded tod dispense as change, as they're based on US coinage, the most efficient types of coins for the purposes of change have to be put in those 5 slots. Therefore they're only loaded with denominations of coins that best cover all eventualities of payment for efficiency of use. 10p and 50p coins aren't efficient as others.

Weirdly interesting, that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Greatest invention EVER.

There's an old Doris in my local Tesco's Expressgos who calls everyone:-

My lovely
Darling
Babe

etc etc etc.

I dream of the day when the store is completely automated.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I avoid them like the plague. A case of tech being used to make someone else's life easier, not mine.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I avoid them like the plague. A case of tech being used to make someone else's life easier, not mine.

Not if there´s a queue at the manned tills and you just want to buy a thing or two. I avoid them for a big shop and I hate how they push you to use them at WH Smith at the airport.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I rarely use the self-service checkouts, unless I'm only mincing in for a paper for something and there's a queue at the kiosk/till.

Self-scan though, now THATS where its at for the big shop. Pack as you go along, rarely any queues to wait in, removes the tedious faff of having every item run through by a bored spotty teenager before re-packing it all into bags at the end - its already done, dusted and ready for the boot after a single zap and a quick jab of the pin number. Happy days.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Incredible. The answer to a question I didn't know existed but now I'm glad I know.
Never use self serve myself. Thought it funny recently in poundland (one assistant on till and 5 selfserves) and a long queue of 'older' customers waiting to be served whilst youngsters just jumped the queue for selfserve.
Only time I use it is Ikea where it's a lot quicker, except that the four tills need someone to run them plus security checking your receipt on exit.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
There's an old Doris in my local Tesco's Expressgos who calls everyone:-

My lovely
Darling
Babe

etc etc etc.

I dream of the day when the store is completely automated.

You'll miss her when she's gone more than you'll ever be able to admit to yourself.

This is a very interesting thread in general though.

I don't really like the self service thing, but today on the way home I bought a tin of Branston baked beans and a pint of semi-skimmed milk using one, paying via the magic of contactless and engaging the 'skip bagging' function.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here