Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Liam neeson

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Dude, your turning what I said into something else, you should not be bothered, I should not be bothered, I am not bothered particularly, but there is a subtle difference to me that I noticed, and I mention it precisely because it should not make a difference. Stop acting fully formed and the finished paragon of virtue and fair mindedness, do some work on yourself, it starts by finding the faults.
Well said Liam. I thought Non Stop was brilliant btw. [emoji6]

I actually totally agree with what you've said. We all have prejudices that we either try to deny, embrace, promote or supress in different ways depending on who we are.

"I'm not racist but....." Etc.

Nothing wrong with admitting what is human nature when you're realising it and trying to do the right thing.

Wrong target TC.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well said Liam. I thought Non Stop was brilliant btw. [emoji6]

I actually totally agree with what you've said. We all have prejudices that we either try to deny, embrace, promote or supress in different ways depending on who we are.

"I'm not racist but....." Etc.

Nothing wrong with admitting what is human nature when you're realising it and trying to do the right thing.

Wrong target TC.

He's not a "target", he's just wrong on one particular detail. Do I have prejudices? Yep, all humans do. BS is correct on this point. Is one of my prejudices blaming an entire race for one man's actions? Nope.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You said you’d feel differently to someone calling themselves Mohammed rather than Mo. I don’t have that prejudice. You do. Get over it. Being honest about something doesn’t excuse it.

I feel differently, I can work on that, it doesn't need excusing and I was not making one for it. but consciously I have to make sure this minor prejudice doesn't hold sway over my rational mind. You are missing the point, you will have some prejudice or bias somewhere, it's up to you to prevent that irrational thought or feeling interfering with your rational mind and be fairer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
he's not a "target", he's just wrong on one particular detail. Do i have prejudices? Yep, all humans do. Bs is correct on this point. Is one of my prejudices blaming an entire race for one man's actions? Nope.

when the **** did i say that!!!?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I feel differently, I can work on that, it doesn't need excusing and I was not making one for it. but consciously I have to make sure this minor prejudice doesn't hold sway over my rational mind. You are missing the point, you will have some prejudice or bias somewhere, it's up to you to prevent that irrational thought or feeling interfering with your rational mind and be fairer.

I have to say I think the Mo/Mohammed thing is more than a slight prejudice, it’s borderline racist.
But you are right, we all have prejudices. I for example can’t abide the blacks.

TBTC

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nuanced but incorrect. I simply do not hold a group of people responsible for one man's crime. BS (how appropriate) can repeat it in as many nuanced (for nuance read waffle)forms as he likes, he's wrong and it's rather daft of him to assume that I feel the same way as he does. People spouting half baked, cod psychology and genealogy about how we feel subconsciously about those who differ from us due to ancient genes signalling threat should also give equal credence to the notion that actually homo sapiens also welcome those who differ as it increases the gene pool and increases the survival rates of a group.

Perhaps my ancestors were in a group that welcomed the full spectrum of the human race (slags) and BS's ancestors were a closed off group of racist inbreds?

Food for thought.

TBTC

It's not cod psychology, Yes we humans do welcome a bit of difference in the gene pool, but not too much, third cousins is about the perfect amount of difference in most mammal species genetically speaking, and most species do favour this degree of relatedness in choosing a mate, tests with humans rating the smell from a sweaty shirt from a member of the opposite sex, found the same degree of relatedness was the most favourable or least detestable, and there is also a preference for physical appearance being somewhat similar to that of our parents. You can read Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers by Dr. Robert Sapolsky or watch his lectures online if you want some one more credible than a **** on a football forum telling it.
Where have I blamed a race for the crime of one man? I don't assume you have the same prejudices as I have, I just assume you have some because I assume you are human.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have to say I think the Mo/Mohammed thing is more than a slight prejudice, it’s borderline racist.
But you are right, we all have prejudices. I for example can’t abide the blacks.

TBTC

The difference is slight, Mo and Mohammed are the same man, but it feels ever so slightly different to have him introduce himself as Mohammed than Mo, daft but it's there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The difference is slight, Mo and Mohammed are the same man, but it feels ever so slightly different to have him introduce himself as Mohammed than Mo, daft but it's there.

I think that's actually quite a serious issue you have there.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think that's actually quite a serious issue you have there.

It's a minor issue because I noticed it, and so it doesn't intefere for more than a moment. Would you care to address my question of where you think I have blamed a race for the crime of one man?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's a minor issue because I noticed it, and so it doesn't intefere for more than a moment. Would you care to address my question of where you think I have blamed a race for the crime of one man?

I didn't say you did, I said Liam Neeson did.

I think the very fact that the Mohammed issue enters your mind is more serious than you think. I really, really don't think most people are racist like that, to that degree.

Prejudice is thinking “oh, Mohammed, must be a Muslim”

Racist is thinking “Mohammed? I’m not comfortable with that. I’d have rather he said Mo”.
That’s a very negative thought and something I would want to address were I having those thoughts, whether I voiced them or not.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, it was pretty clear it was me you were refering to in posts 201 and 203. Call it racism, prejudice, whatever, when I notice it I am addressing it. This is getting to be like a to and fro with Pastafarian, however I put it, you insist on misunderstanding. You have helped me come to realise another fault of mine I need to remedy urgently, wasting time engaging in debate with bellends. Thanks for helping me evolve.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, it was pretty clear it was me you were refering to in posts 201 and 203. Call it racism, prejudice, whatever, when I notice it I am addressing it. This is getting to be like a to and fro with Pastafarian, however I put it, you insist on misunderstanding. You have helped me come to realise another fault of mine I need to remedy urgently, wasting time engaging in debate with bellends. Thanks for helping me evolve.

Shame, I felt you were on the cusp of making a breakthrough there. I gave you more credit than name calling etc, I usually agree with and enjoy your posts.

Another time,

TBTC

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I believe now that the new film Cold Pursuit will not see the light of day. The red carpet premiere was pulled last night and I expect the studio to take a £ 50 m hit on this rather than be associated with the " racist " Liam Neeson. It will go straight to dvd. Unlikely any UK cinema will show it either. Also will Schindler's List be shown again ? I see the morally outraged middle class Piers Morgan has waded in not really understanding the context of the interview, ironic when he went ape at Ross Greer for pointing out Churchill was a racist during his lifetime. Liam basically lost the plot, not in what he said bar the " find a black bstard " bit why he used those words he is probably asking himself now. honest yes, sensible no. His views were deplorable 40 years ago and they are now

Now that everyone in the world is a part time judge and can speak with certainty what is going on in someone elses head 40 years ago and twitter witch hunts Liam is not going to recover from this. His career is over. At least we have intelligent people like John Barnes speaking on this, sadly he also is now being accused of being a racist apologist after spending the last decade fighting racism. Now in this day and age debates are CLOSED.

The lesson here is not to tell the truth. The dark experiences and feelings of our past are among those things that shape us. I don't understand why we require our pasts to be squeaky clean. we have all made mistakes and done stupid shit..... hopefully we learn from that stuff and grow as a person. It seems clear to me that the rape of his friend was such a shock and so abhorent to him that he accessed so dark shit in his mind. He is now embarrassed about his behaviour, realises it was stupid and has presumably becomes a better person (maybe even because of that experience). Our culture currently says that we cannot share some of the experiences that shaped us. I am not sure why sharing these dark experiences from our past is wrong, why don't we listen to people and congratulate them for becoming better. Maybe we can learn more about what happens when we are struck by cronic shock or grief or anger because that understanding may help when it happens to us.

Not talking about shit doesn't mean that the shit didn't happen and it doesn't mean that the shit isn't there. It just means that we can't deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epDi1s8jfN0

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

punish: Charming....thanks for putting me in the same bed as NSC`s biggest bigot

TBTC

Interesting you say you are aware of racial prejudice.
There are a number of people that say the word Gammon is a racial slur in the context it is currently used, as by its definition it is deliberately meant to apply to white people only.
You dish Gammon out frequently yourself even though you are already aware some people consider it to be just another form of racial hate speech.
What does that make you whilst you are on your moral high horse?
Interesting question isnt it.....Is the legitimacy of a racial slur determined by who is issuing it or by those that say they are being subject to one?
And before you drop a nibble, note I am just telling you here what others have said (its documented) about the gammon slur, not what I have said.
Perhaps you might be one of those that says its just comedic effect, banter and satire.......who knows.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's true. And it's not at all correct that that group of pork faced people are the only racists.

I've been on the end of racist abuse from a group of Asian lads while walking home from the pub on my own many years ago. Thought I was going to get a proper kicking until the rest of the lads realised that it was the ringleader who was actually the racist, not me.

But that's not the point. The VAST majority of racists in this country are white. And they are those fat, bald, pink faced "lads" and the people who agree with them. A stereotype isn't just a stereotype when it's true.

Everyone should be careful what they say if what they really want to say if f'ng offensive. And then we get the "freedom of speech" straw man again.

Does my nut in.

Agree. And don’t forget the “if he’s black, and he’s a ****, why can’t I call him a black ****?” brigade.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some very interesting posts here. I suppose one message for me is that just because someone struggles with a particular issue that I don't struggle with doesn't mean they are a bad person. There is a big difference between struggling with something, knowing what 'the right thing' looks like, and working towards it, than accepting the something, or even wallowing in it. Few things are more odious than people wallowing in their own prejudices.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find it baffling that some people are insisting that all of us have a racist internal dialogue and that it’s okay because we manage to control the urge to vocalise such thoughts of racism and prejudice.

However, I do actually feel secure enough that upon being introduced to someone called Mohammed I genuinely do not think ill of him or feel uncomfortable. But I’ve yet to be introduced to anyone calling themselves Mohammed “Bomber” Macmood so I suppose it not really been tested yet. Now, Bomber Mo would be fine.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I find it baffling that some people are insisting that all of us have a racist internal dialogue and that it’s okay because we manage to control the urge to vocalise such thoughts of racism and prejudice.

I don't see this as baffling and most of us can find an internal example. In my case, I wasn't particularly keen to stand next to chaps of Asian decent with rucksacks on the London Underground in July 2005. Whilst my rational brain recognised that it was very, very low risk that anything would happen it didn't stop me getting off a stop early and walking on one occasion. The city was a bit jumpy and understandably so - People had been killed in horrific circumstances. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't have some internal bias around that time, it took people time to adjust to what happened.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't see this as baffling and most of us can find an internal example. In my case, I wasn't particularly keen to stand next to chaps of Asian decent with rucksacks on the London Underground in July 2005. Whilst my rational brain recognised that it was very, very low risk that anything would happen it didn't stop me getting off a stop early and walking on one occasion. The city was a bit jumpy and understandably so - People had been killed in horrific circumstances. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't have some internal bias around that time, it took people time to adjust to what happened.

Fair play. What about people that didn’t share that anxiety?

I suppose my lifelong impression of all Austalralians, without exception , as bigoted, brash, loud, blaggers who spend their lives attempting to solicit free beer, cigarettes, weed and places to sleep may count as a prejudice? My only doubt is that this assertion has never been proved wrong.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fair play. What about people that didn’t share that anxiety?

I suppose my lifelong impression of all Austalralians, without exception , as bigoted, brash, loud, blaggers who spend their lives attempting to solicit free beer, cigarettes, weed and places to sleep may count as a prejudice? My only doubt is that this assertion has never been proved wrong.

It may be true that your experiences and perspectives have not proven it wrong, but it is.

So yes what you describe is a good example of what you are discussing, even if a little tongue in cheek.

Actually, I think what you are describing here are backpackers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here