Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you offer Bruno and Bong new contracts?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know many on here don't rate Bong, but in my view he is a relatively reliable left back and provides reasonable support to Bernardo for next season. I wouldn't be wholly unhappy if he had to slot in the left back role for a few games here and there to cover for injury, cup ties etc. Far more pressing will be to strengthen the midfield and forward areas so for me a new deal for Bong makes sense.

Yep, agree with that. get singled out for FAR too much stick on here IMHO. He's a good left back, provides decent squad depth, and will put in a shift. We could do - and have done - a whole lot worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Bong gets a one year extension, Bruno really should also.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1123602984951341056[/TWEET]

Intriguing - suggest Gaetan was looking elsewhere for first team football.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think after the last few months of football, there are a lot of fans who would be crying out for Bong :smokin::smokin:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Disappointing. Team is screaming out for quality after a shocking season.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
When he signed the contract, did he pass it backwards or hand it sideways to his agent. That's the question. ???

As they approached him with the contract he back off and backed off until he hit the wall......then he did the above.
Nice to see we are preparing for the Championship...
Doesn't say much for our U23 left back if we are offering this kind of deal to a player like this.

Think Bruno will be aware we are after a younger right back (Reece James) so won't want to be a third choice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, of course. Even if they don’t play that often they are part of the spirit this club has shown for a few years and are always very reliable when brought in

As long as they are happy being bit part players it would work for them and the club. Bruno might be happy, especially if they give him some sort of coaching role. I think Bong is good enough and young enough to get into a good championship team as a starter though so not convinced he’d be happy with a deal like that

We definitely need younger full backs with pace though. I’ll really miss Bruno on the pitch and his amazing ball control and little tricks :down:

I have only quickly dipped into this thread so most of the above may have already been posted

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Given the options were- Sign a young fullback for at least £5m who may compete with Bernardo or keep Bong for another season and invest funds on other areas of the squad I think the club have got this one right.

Yes, it may be desirable to get a better fullback than Bong if we were at the Watford/Wolves level of competing around the top half of the table but realistically defence is the least of our worries and so it's probably wise to save money for other areas.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wouldn't have offered either but Bong is not a bad option as a back up but I would've preferred to have seen a younger player who might've threatened Bernardo's place in time...

Bruno would be a mistake as a player but a great choice to join the coaching team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm convinced Bruno will retire, so we need to concentrate funds on a striker ( 2 if Locadia leaves and no permit for Tau ), a central midfielder ( 2 if Pröpper does go to Ajax ), and a rightback.

That should use all the budget - quality rather than quantity needed - and we can't do everything in the summer window.

And Well done to Bongy. Keeps seeing off his critics.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As they approached him with the contract he back off and backed off until he hit the wall......then he did the above.
Nice to see we are preparing for the Championship...
Doesn't say much for our U23 left back if we are offering this kind of deal to a player like this.

Think Bruno will be aware we are after a younger right back (Reece James) so won't want to be a third choice.

Bruno might be aware of it, but I'm intrigued as to how you know that we're after Reece James.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here