Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you offer Bruno and Bong new contracts?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would offer Bruno a contract which combined playing and coaching. I think at a technical level he is one of the best players we have ever had and that combined with his health/work effort would make him a brilliant role model for our younger players.

Bong is a bit trickier and to me it would come down to whether we could get someone who is better. If so then time to move on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Keeping Gaetan Bong will be a very clear marker that we do not have any ambition for next season either and that we should accept thinking 13th is brilliant, rather than par.

We should be striving to improve, year on year. Keeping Bong would be accepting a low standard and that shouldn't be acceptable.

I love Bruno, and always will. But it would be a mistake to keep him for another season.

Of course we are ambitious and striving to improve, but l think we need to temper this with a little bit of realism, We were only promoted to the Premier League the season bere last, we only have a finite amount of money in the budget, and there are, and l fear always will be, much much bigger players in this division than us.

Can we really expect to rise much about mid table? l personally doubt it, and for me, just retaining our Premier League place season on season is a triumph.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No.

Bruno should be given a pathway to an ambassador/coaching role however.

If many of the posters on NSC had their way, the entire coaching set up at the club would be occupied by past legends of the Albion, nearly all of whom have no coaching badges whatsoever.

Just as well they don't get their way me thinks.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Bruno has so much to offer off the pitch and has class that is permanent. If Bong plays like he did on Saturday for the rest of the season then maybe but he won't. He's a passenger and if we want to improve he shouldn't be anywhere near the team given his contributions these past two years. Playing games doesn't mean he is contributing loads to points on the pitch.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Of course we are ambitious and striving to improve, but l think we need to temper this with a little bit of realism, We were only promoted to the Premier League the season bere last, we only have a finite amount of money in the budget, and there are, and l fear always will be, much much bigger players in this division than us.

Can we really expect to rise much about mid table? l personally doubt it, and for me, just retaining our Premier League place season on season is a triumph.

That's just garbage. Wolves are currently 7th. There's no reason why we can't break into the top 10. For that we might have increase the playing budget. On top of that having players like Bong and I'm afraid to say Kayal and Stephens we won't. All 3 have seved there purposes now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's just garbage. Wolves are currently 7th. There's no reason why we can't break into the top 10. For that we might have increase the playing budget. On top of that having players like Bong and I'm afraid to say Kayal and Stephens we won't. All 3 have seved there purposes now.

You are probably one of those posters who thinks we should be playing in Europe within ther next few seasons! Yes Wolves are indeed 7th at the moment, but it has been a long long time since a newly promoted club did that well, and the season is far from over yet..

In any case, even if we did break into the top ten, well tenth is mid table is it not?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You are probably one of those posters who thinks we should be playing in Europe within ther next few seasons! Yes Wolves are indeed 7th at the moment, but it has been a long long time since a newly promoted club did that well, and the season is far from over yet..

In any case, even if we did break into the top ten, well tenth is mid table is it not?
No I just happen to understand some players have limitations and are holding back our progress as a club.
We can improve on that and we should.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bruno has so much to offer off the pitch and has class that is permanent. If Bong plays like he did on Saturday for the rest of the season then maybe but he won't. He's a passenger and if we want to improve he shouldn't be anywhere near the team given his contributions these past two years. Playing games doesn't mean he is contributing loads to points on the pitch.

That is just nonsense. Your anti-Bong agenda is tiresome.

Bong was excellent last year, and has generally been fine this year too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd sooner both of those got an extension instead of Murrayoffside.

Too late :facepalm:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No I just happen to understand some players have limitations and are holding back our progress as a club.
We can improve on that and we should.

You mention Dale Stephens in your earlier post as being surplus to requirements, well for me (and fortunately Chris Hughton), he should be one of the first on the teamsheet.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Bruno to hang up his boots and take up a full time roll as God.

Bong to retire in due course, stand for election and lead Cameroon to a glorious future.

It’s the obvious outcome of the “no dickheads” policy.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I absolutely agree with your post !

As you say, and given that Montoya and Bernardo are doing so well, it will depend upon new signings !

Much has been suggested about Bruno perhaps having a further role to play for the Albion in a coaching role and I wouldn't be averse to that.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Totaly inappropriate question to be asking mid season both have contracts until June 2019 until then they are very important members of the squad fighting to retain the teams position in the worlds toughest league

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
That is just nonsense. Your anti-Bong agenda is tiresome.

Bong was excellent last year, and has generally been fine this year too.
'Generally been fine'. What games have you been watching? At a push he's been 'fine' in half the games. The other half he's giving away penalties, no stopping crosses, offering nothing going forward etc etc etc. I want a better sub left back than that please.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Ideally Bruno would be three years younger and Bong three years more experienced, but that's not the case so the answer has to be No!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
'Generally been fine'. What games have you been watching? At a push he's been 'fine' in half the games. The other half he's giving away penalties, no stopping crosses, offering nothing going forward etc etc etc. I want a better sub left back than that please.

I watch all the games.

I then come home and read the match threads where you and a couple of others have slagged Bong off throughout. It doesn't matter how well he plays, if he makes one mistake you are all over him like a rash. You also criticise him when he is not at fault.

I have ONLY noticed you as a poster when you are ripping Bong apart.

Mistakes by other players are ignored. You have a strong agenda against Bong, and I find it sad.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
No and No.

Bong I think is a Championship quality player, Bruno is simply too old.

Time to move on with best wishes to both of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here