Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you offer Bruno and Bong new contracts?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Bruno and Bong are our only two major first team players who are out of contract at the end of the season. So far in 18/19 Bong has played eighteen league games, Bruno only eight. They are both probably not first choice anymore, but have seen off Schelotto and Suttner, who were at one point thought to be their replacements in the starting XI.

I'm a big fan of both, el Capitan is still in great shape and Bong has played really well in place of Bernardo most of the time. He's had a few bad games but overall I think he's a class LB.

There is still a fair amount of this season to go, but no matter if we finish top half or below seventeenth I think these fellas have earned another year apiece.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
100% no

Time to step up in quality

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't have an issue with both having 1 year extensions based on them being squad players. That said, I have no idea who we might have lined up. If they're a big improvement, then it might be that we say goodbye to one or both of Bruno and Bong.

Will miss Bruno, at his best - toying with Championship opposition - he was an absolute joy to watch. A player always determined to take the most classy course of action, even if it was sometimes to the team's detriment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I fear that the day that Bruno leaves the Albion, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will shut down NSC for a week of mourning :eek:

As for the question, yeah, give 'em an extra year, unless there are very capable replacements (or replacements for the regular starters) lined up. If not, they've both proved they are capable deputies.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bong certainly. Burno certainly not.
This for me. Although Bruno is still quality, it looks like his back could be packing up. He has had to come off more than once and whilst that isn't an issue for a sub, it is if you need him long term for injury cover. If Bong is happy to stay as backup then I would be happy to see him stay. I genuinely believe that if he didn't have these mad moments where he gets dragged out of position horribly, he would be a top left back in this league. A bit like those keepers that pull off world class saves and then let one through their legs every so often. When he is good, he is very good as his one on one stats show. Wingers very rarely get past him. I don't think these mad moments can be coached out of him at his age but he would still make a very good backup.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Yes, both one year contracts as squad players. We haven't filled up our 25 man squad anyway, why not have the cover in place.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
1 year deal but only if they were going to be third choice behind two new signings & behind Montoya & Bernado.

Would like Bruno to be kept at the club as either a coach or an ambassador when he decides to hang up his boots. Bong although an OK defender I dont rate him very highly and would be glad to see him drop down the pecking order or leave. All my personal opinion of course.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Definitely Bong. Bruno is a tricky one, value you him as a player and as a leader. I think it mostly depends on how the great man himself feels, how his body is feeling to him. I’d be delighted for him to sign on again, but I’d understand if it was time to move on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's get the games up to Cardiff out of the way before speculating who needs booting out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bruno has the footballing and personal qualities to remain at the club in some role and I see that as a positive, whether it being as a,player, coach or whatever, imagine him working with u18's and or youth . . . A touch of class.

Bong is good to a point, it depends where that point is at the end of the season and who else is vying for the same position

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, both one year contracts as squad players. We haven't filled up our 25 man squad anyway, why not have the cover in place.

This. We need full backs in the squad for cover if Montoya and Bernado get injured. The only way I would release them, was if we knew we could get replacements in and signed up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that CH will make a decision based on their ability or otherwise to perform next season if needed rather than sentiment which influences most opinions on NSC.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Bong: I would give a one-year extension. I'm not his biggest fan and at times, I don't rate him, but, if he comes on as a sub or used as rotation for cup games, he can be effective.

Bruno: No. Unfortunately, the dog has had his day. He can't keep up with today's PL standards but my god what a run and approaching his 40s. However, I think he'd be an excellent fit for a coaching role or backroom stuff, great leader and respected by all within.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
With a very heavy heart I would say Bruno is ready to step aside. I think signing a top class right back that really pushes Montoya for his place with take the whole team forward. Of course Bruno should be offered a position within the club. I personally really like Tavenier at Rangers and think he could step up if given the chance.

Bong is more difficult, he is clearly second choice now and if Bernado is fit will remain so. If there was another option that pushed him for his starting spot that would, as above with Bruno, improve the team and potentially drive Bernado onto greater things

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bong certainly. Burno certainly not.

If Winstanley has identified an upgrade on Bong, no, but otherwise yes. In all likelihood, Bruno's ability to contribute decreases, and even he has started talking about the possibility of retirement. As another poster indicated, though, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] should shut down NSC for a week if it does happen.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bruno and Bong are our only two major first team players who are out of contract at the end of the season. So far in 18/19 Bong has played eighteen league games, Bruno only eight. They are both probably not first choice anymore, but have seen off Schelotto and Suttner, who were at one point thought to be their replacements in the starting XI.

I'm a big fan of both, el Capitan is still in great shape and Bong has played really well in place of Bernardo most of the time. He's had a few bad games but overall I think he's a class LB.

There is still a fair amount of this season to go, but no matter if we finish top half or below seventeenth I think these fellas have earned another year apiece.

Most definately, providing of course Bruno doesn't make the decision to retire at the end of the season, as he indicated he might do in the Argus last week.

Bruno could effectively become Montoya's deputy in the team next year as we have no other right backs in the squad currently. Bong and Bernardo are both dependable left backs and could compete for a place in the starting line up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here