Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our centre midfield

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
We have an incredible opportunity to build a solid spine in this team. Duffy and Dunk at the back, Pröpper and Bissouma in the midfield. Just need to keep maintaining PL status!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All our midfield players (all our players, in fact) have flaws or they would be playing for top-six clubs. I was just a little concerned when CH said the other day that we wouldn't be doing any transfer business because we have a full squad. If you stand still in this league, you fall behind.
Or slip backwards as everybody else is strengthening.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
People seem to have huge blind-spots with Stephens:

* Many think he is poor and thus totally miss the breaking up of play and getting the attacks started.

* Many think he is superb and 'never gives the ball away' and miss the fact that, well, he is often doing just that, spraying passes about all game......to the opposition.

The truth sits somewhere in the middle, he is a good but limited midfielder in the PL.

This and I agree that Propper is becoming a class act. The jury is out on Bissouma - he hasn't had many opportunities so it will take him some time to acclimatise.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Stephens is ok until a player has the beating of him and then the giving away of free kicks in dangerous areas and mistimed lunging in tackles come into play. He always has a red card in him but also does his job well when he does. I think he just lacks the pace for the highest level.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I like Stephens, but the issue you have with both he and Gross in the same midfield areas is a lack of pace and dynamism. Fine having one in those deeper areas, but two? It's just too easy to bypass and too slow to transition. But he's a decent to good Premier League midfielder who definitely has his place in our squad.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with the two previous comments, and the more nuanced approach to Stephens. Beyond up front and full back, if we're going to strengthen anywhere in the summer, I'd like to see a serious rival to, or even replacement for, Stephens and the DCM role. He lacks pace, is too static, and gives away too many free kicks around the box, while also twice having red card tackles in him this season. The dynamism and touch that Propper brought to that role on Saturday spoke volumes in terms of the contrast; he's willing to carry the ball and is just classier on it too. That said, Stephens is a better shield and tackler than Propper, and does a lot of dirty, unnoticed work; he's also much better at heading the ball. Think back to the space that Propper allowed Brooks for his first, Stephens would have handled that better.
Next season, I'd be delighted if we continue with this new formation, and have Gross, Propper, Bissouma and perhaps Mac Allister vying for the two more advanced positions, and a rival/replacement for Stephens.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It’s all about evolving the squad. Better players come in year on year. Last summer Bernardo and Montoya cane in as replacements long term to bong and Bruno. Both and now settled in and playing well, and was a shame about Bernado’s injury.
Midfield is no different. 1st PL season Propper and Grob came in and were upgraded to what we have. Now the system has been tweaked a bit and we have 3 CM i expect in the summer if we stay up we would be looking to add some more quality in there. A DM is Likley to be top of that list as an upgrade on Stephens who I like as a DM as he breaks play up well but despite the song does dwell and give the ball away at the highest level.
Would like to see a DM with Bissouma and Propper slightly more advanced. Be interesting to see how the Argentine signing fits in as well as I doubt he will settle for warming the bench as he looks a real talent.
But we are doing it the right way. Some clubs do to much and change to much when they are promoted and the team takes to long g to gel

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saving his money for a striker for next season :)

Don't forget we've already got Percy Tau tucked away at Union SG in Belgium. Seems to know where the net is, tho obviously a huge step up to the PL. Be good to see him get a run out in the stripes.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Don't forget we've already got Percy Tau tucked away at Union SG in Belgium. Seems to know where the net is, tho obviously a huge step up to the PL. Be good to see him get a run out in the stripes.

I honestly be very surprised if he ever kicks a ball for us

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All our midfield players (all our players, in fact) have flaws or they would be playing for top-six clubs. I was just a little concerned when CH said the other day that we wouldn't be doing any transfer business because we have a full squad. If you stand still in this league, you fall behind.

It seems if you stand still, in this league, you're offside :lol:.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephens and Propper are our first choice midfield [pairing and rightly so. I think that Bissouma will take over from Kayal as their cover with perhaps Kayal leaving in the summer to get first team football possibly with a top Championship side. I think that Bissouma is the future for the latter part of next season but not as a regular 1st choice this season. As he showed against Watford he has some very positive moments but is still m making mistakes and learning.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'll admit Im very "meh" about Stephens these days. A bit ponderous on the ball and gets caught out quite easily, a bit rash in the challenge, and doesn't often seem to drive on with the ball, preferring instead to primarily go sideways or backwards. I would prefer to see Bissouma & Propper getting a decent run together (I also think Kayal is a better player than Stephens tbh) but Stephens will be straight back in the starting 11 as soon as he is ready, just like last time. Hes Hughtons first choice, and I cant see that changing anytime soon - especially as CH is reticent to change from what he knows and trusts.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Stephens and Propper are our first choice midfield [pairing and rightly so. I think that Bissouma will take over from Kayal as their cover with perhaps Kayal leaving in the summer to get first team football possibly with a top Championship side. I think that Bissouma is the future for the latter part of next season but not as a regular 1st choice this season. As he showed against Watford he has some very positive moments but is still m making mistakes and learning.

Except we haven't played a midfield 'pair' for some weeks now, it's a midfield 'trio', with 1 holding.

I had to put up with the normal morons behind me in the North Stand saturday moaning about Locadia being played 'out of position' as he is a centre forward apparently, but I expected better of you, BG :wink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Except we haven't played a midfield 'pair' for some weeks now, it's a midfield 'trio', with 1 holding.

I had to put up with the normal morons behind me in the North Stand saturday moaning about Locadia being played 'out of position' as he is a centre forward apparently, but I expected better of you, BG :wink:

I accept what you are saying but I was working on the basis of which 2 of 3 as stated Stephens and Propper or Propper and Bissouma. I do not agree 100% but Gross seems unmovable and an automatic selection. I wonder if we could play DS as holding DM and both DP and YB in a more advanced role but then that means somebody has to make way for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Re. Bissouma he is still very raw. I maintain he will be the first player we are forced to sell, that's how much I rate him but we need to be careful.

Him or Bernardo.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I accept what you are saying but I was working on the basis of which 2 of 3 as stated Stephens and Propper or Propper and Bissouma. I do not agree 100% but Gross seems unmovable and an automatic selection. I wonder if we could play DS as holding DM and both DP and YB in a more advanced role but then that means somebody has to make way for them.

From my perspective, Stephens is the better player at reading and breaking up play when he is DM, however Propper is far more positive going forward. Personally, I prefer Propper in one of the more advanced roles, together with either Bissouma or Gross (probably Gross at the moment because of his dead ball expertise). So Stephens in the holding role.

Going forward, I think we could look to improve on Stephens but I think that applies to every player. We now have an excellent squad with options so a couple of Summer signings who are regular starters anywhere in the first team would do for me. (Although, of course I would still love THAT striker).

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

This sideways and backwards obsession people have with Stephens.. I just don't get it on two fronts :
1) In his role, which tends to be deeper, he will be receiving the ball in positions, often under pressure whereby keeping possession is key and often that will be sideways/backwards. People cry out for more possession and that in reality means greater patience, moving the ball simply for passages of play to move the opposition around more. . Are DS passes anymore sideways than Dunks for example?
2) Its just wrong! He doesn't only pass sideways and backwards. He switches play, links play as much as anyone, but he has to be cautious because of the area of the pitch he plays in..
Are these the same people who bellow at defenders to "Get rid of it" in one breath, but then "Don't just hoof it" in the next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here