Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our centre midfield

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They are all right footed, some more so than others.

This seems to have three effects:

1) play drifts to our right side
2) easier pass played right footed rather than best pass
3) play held up whilst the ball is transferred to the right foot, or played sideways

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This sideways and backwards obsession people have with Stephens.. I just don't get it on two fronts :
1) In his role, which tends to be deeper, he will be receiving the ball in positions, often under pressure whereby keeping possession is key and often that will be sideways/backwards. People cry out for more possession and that in reality means greater patience, moving the ball simply for passages of play to move the opposition around more. . Are DS passes anymore sideways than Dunks for example?
2) Its just wrong! He doesn't only pass sideways and backwards. He switches play, links play as much as anyone, but he has to be cautious because of the area of the pitch he plays in..
Are these the same people who bellow at defenders to "Get rid of it" in one breath, but then "Don't just hoof it" in the next?

Over the Christmas period Dale was playing some of the best through-balls, over the top passes and sweeping crossfield balls that we've seen in the Prem. The arsenal game particularly stands out. He's been a bit off form of late

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They are all right footed, some more so than others.

This seems to have three effects:

1) play drifts to our right side
2) easier pass played right footed rather than best pass
3) play held up whilst the ball is transferred to the right foot, or played sideways

Is it not easier if you're right footed in the centre of midfield to play it out to the left than it is to the right? It's certainly not any harder.

Go out in the garden or park and give it a go. :cheers:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I rate Stephens and for me the sideways stuff is him following instructions. He has proved he can be creative when he’s allowed to be.
My only slight problem with Stephens is his potential to make brain dead challenges now and again, he losses control of himself and needlessly gives the ref a decision which with some of these EPL refs is an excuse to get in the limelight.
Ridiculous red v Cardiff cost us at least a point and gave them 3.
Potential red v Fulham cost us all 3 IMO because he stopped making tackles after that (and should have been subbed).
Both those tackles were near the half way line when there was no real threat.
He needs to cut those out but I don’t think he will now.

theboybilly

People seem to have huge blind-spots with Stephens:

* Many think he is poor and thus totally miss the breaking up of play and getting the attacks started.

* Many think he is superb and 'never gives the ball away' and miss the fact that, well, he is often doing just that, spraying passes about all game......to the opposition.

The truth sits somewhere in the middle, he is a good but limited midfielder in the PL.

I think this is where I sit as far as Dale is concerned. I've been a big fan ever since his arrival but I now struggle to see anything but a 'red card in waiting'. Yes he breaks up opposition play and (mostly) passes well but our opponents seem to get a lot of possession from Dale's wayward passing. His own press comments recently seem to suggest that he feels himself that he is on the way down in the midfield pecking order. He's still a decent player though

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
For me I would prefer Stephens in the deep role, Propper and Bissouma together in the more advanced of the v. Gross has not had the same impact as last year. I thought Bissouma and Propper played very well saturday I dont get this "weak" performance. Its a matter of time but we will be aiming for more of Bissouma game time he is a raw unrefined talent but he will be a star.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is it not easier if you're right footed in the centre of midfield to play it out to the left than it is to the right? It's certainly not any harder.

Go out in the garden or park and give it a go. :cheers:

Under challenge, I veer to the right, not under challenge e.g. a penalty, I would by first choice shoot to the left though with my right foot (although I found it almost as easy to pass with the outside of my right foot to the right side). Bridcutt and latterly Dale Stephens do the same.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm no expert on midfield subtleties like so many of you. But I do know that we saw nothing of that perennial thorn in our side, the albino Will Hughes, on Saturday. Whilst Bissouma may have had a quiet game offensively, he completely snuffed out Hughes. Sacrificing his natural inclination to attack in order to do the job the manager asked him to is a very good sign.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This sideways and backwards obsession people have with Stephens.. I just don't get it on two fronts :
1) In his role, which tends to be deeper, he will be receiving the ball in positions, often under pressure whereby keeping possession is key and often that will be sideways/backwards. People cry out for more possession and that in reality means greater patience, moving the ball simply for passages of play to move the opposition around more. . Are DS passes anymore sideways than Dunks for example?
2) Its just wrong! He doesn't only pass sideways and backwards. He switches play, links play as much as anyone, but he has to be cautious because of the area of the pitch he plays in..
Are these the same people who bellow at defenders to "Get rid of it" in one breath, but then "Don't just hoof it" in the next?

Personally. I’m not criticizing all of his backwards and sideways passes. It’s more that he goes for these when there is a much better positive options on offer. He also takes a while to decide to do this, therefore not only missing the chance but also slowing play down. Then there’s his rash tackles. And his attitude when angling for a move. No issue with him wanting to go but his “apology” was breathtaking in its selfishness. We all have opinions and Stephens is not for me I’m afraid.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’d be amazed if CH risked Propper tonight.

Who would you play tonight? We're not awash with midfielders at the best of times, and Stephens might still be injured.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Who would you play tonight? We're not awash with midfielders at the best of times, and Stephens might still be injured.

All the more reason not to play Propper tonight.
Sadly Saturday is much more important.

I’d go back to 4-4-2 just for tonight. Only play 2 CM. It might surprise WBA too.

Button, Bruno, Balogun, Burn, Bernardo, AK, Bissouma, Kayal, Ali J, Andone, Gyrokes.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Dale Stephens fan club have got to wake up, he’s been dire again tonight. Totally done by Ashley Barnes for their goal. His positioning is dire and lack of pace embarassing.

We have no transition from defence to attack as we basically have no midfield.

Absolutely mystifying and almost criminal he’s started this game ahead of the vastly superior Bissouma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here