Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players not knowing the rules - Part 93001

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Taken from the link below:

'A player in an offisde position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence'

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Wow thanks for that

Mind you as I put the first offence is considered the infringement however in this case wow again.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'll admit I had to look it up. But almost to a man, the Watford players complained when the lino made them retake a free kick that didn't leave the area. Turns out it isn't just goal kicks that applies to.

If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

Don't know if that is a recent change or is long standing but it is concerning how often professional footballers don't know the laws of the game.

The commentator on the stream I was watching didn't know either. He made some sort of comment to the effect that the linesman must have thought it was a goal kick.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Wow thanks for that

Mind you as I put the first offence is considered the infringement however in this case wow again.

Yeah, it seems a ridiculous rule. Clearly the defending player wouldn’t commit the foul if they knew the attacking player would be flagged offside but how are they supposed to know for sure that the player was in an offside position and that the assistant ref would call it correctly?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wow thanks for that

The first infringement is the foul, not the offside.

As it clearly states '... is fouled BEFORE playing or attempting to play the ball...'. In other words, the offside infringement hasn't occurred before the foul.

Being in an offside position - i.e. in a position closer to the opposition goal line than up to two defenders - (not an infringement), and being offside - the act of the ball being played to you when you are in an offside position, and that pass meaning you become 'active' (an infringement) are clearly not one and the same.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Right down to the last decision it’s now obvious the premier league want Liverpool to win it. Never seen so many offsides go one way..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The first infringement is the foul, not the offside.

As it clearly states '... is fouled BEFORE playing or attempting to play the ball...'. In other words, the offside infringement hasn't occurred before the foul.

Being in an offside position - i.e. in a position closer to the opposition goal line than up to two defenders - (not an infringement), and being offside - the act of the ball being played to you when you are in an offside position, and that pass meaning you become 'active' (an infringement) are clearly not one and the same.

The interpretation is attempting to play or interfering with the opponent. The likelihood is any player who is in an offside position and moves to the ball or is in line of the ball and the opponent and thus stops him from progressing toward it is offside first. Too wish washy though.

Let’s wait for VAR and idiot video refs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah I believe its always been around. However some of the new FIFA game changes coming in whenever that is, apparently includes not having to kick it out of the box, goal or free kick. I read that on some footy page recently. Could be right, could be wrong.

Tremendously helpful. Thanks for that.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Interfering with play is defined as touching the ball so unless he touches the ball he is not intefering with play (according to the definition in the offside law).

Which is crazy in itself, isn't it? I'm in an offside position and running with a player who has the ball, the keeper is coming out to stop a shot he must consider both players, i.e. will the player with the ball shoot or pass to me.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
But a player blocking the goalkeepers view/path from an offside position position is deemed offside even if they don’t touch the ball aren’t they ?

Surely they could get in the way and make a defender change course to get past and thus delay him being able to clear the ball without actually touching the ball themselves. Surely that is interfering with play. :shrug:

I’d never make it as a ref!

That is interfering with an opponent, not interfering with play - they are different things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here