Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you don't feel old at times.....

el punal

Pleased to see it's not just me.

They confirmed that our Brian and Jim Cannon absolutely HATED each other. :thumbsup:

Now THAT is good to know! Along with Mullers and Venners, us fans and their fans, I wonder who else around that time had a complete loathing for all things Palace. I must admit to having an intense dislike for John Burridge, the Palace goalie, after his pre-match circus monkey antics before one of our matches - cocky ******** show off. :sick:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now THAT is good to know! Along with Mullers and Venners, us fans and their fans, I wonder who else around that time had a complete loathing for all things Palace. I must admit to having an intense dislike for John Burridge, the Palace goalie, after his pre-match circus monkey antics before one of our matches - cocky ******** show off. :sick:

To be honest Mullers and Venners are the reason for the rivalry.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Cheers

Best ever Captain
Best ever midfielder (maybe apart from when Lawrenson played with him in midfield)
Best ever penalty taker
Most influential player
My favourite ever player
IMHO

el punal

To be honest Mullers and Venners are the reason for the rivalry.

Yes and no. The rivalry started well before they made their entrances to their respective clubs. I remember the clash with Palace on the opening fixture of 1974/75. We won 1-0 and it kicked off between the fans before, during and after the game. The following season it became more intense, us winning 1-0 at theirs, and then THE game. Some would argue, but the match that lit the blue touch paper was the one against Palace in February 1976.

It was the first time the chant of SEAGULLS was used en masse by Albion fans. Malcolm Allison was doing his Billy Big Bollocks impression by wearing a fedora hat only to be copied by all the Brighton directors in a mimicking piss-take. 33,000+ were packed into the Goldstone that night. We won 2-0, thanks Sammy Morgan!

Roll on to season 1976/77. Alan Mullery became our manager, Venables took over at Palace and that is when it all got really tasty. :albion2:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Yes and no. The rivalry started well before they made their entrances to their respective clubs. I remember the clash with Palace on the opening fixture of 1974/75. We won 1-0 and it kicked off between the fans before, during and after the game. The following season it became more intense, us winning 1-0 at theirs, and then THE game. Some would argue, but the match that lit the blue touch paper was the one against Palace in February 1976.

It was the first time the chant of SEAGULLS was used en masse by Albion fans. Malcolm Allison was doing his Billy Big Bollocks impression by wearing a fedora hat only to be copied by all the Brighton directors in a mimicking piss-take. 33,000+ were packed into the Goldstone that night. We won 2-0, thanks Sammy Morgan!

Roll on to season 1976/77. Alan Mullery became our manager, Venables took over at Palace and that is when it all got really tasty. :albion2:
Well said, I was going to post something similar.
The rivalry was definitely up and running before Mullery became manager.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

I remember those games well (apart from the first one as I had a Saturday Job. That didn't last long).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My favourite Albion skipper. A real full-on blood and guts leader.
Met him in a Walsall hotel once, when he was Man. City boss. Think they were due to play Villa that evening.
Great bloke; had a good chat about the old days.
Happy Birthday, Brian.
Nothing wrong with 70 and at least you are about 6 months younger than me!

Me too, with an August birthday.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
a couple of memories for me

last game at Chesterfield (yeah,that one)
watched the Brighton coach pull up,I looked at Nobby and gave him a fist pump
and he gave me a big smile back

another was a Luton night match,great game,won 3-2
Nobby recieved the ball and gave this Luton player the best dummy I've ever seen
it must have been good,because I still remember it

he epitomized what a professional player and captain should be
absolute legend

Happy Birthday Nobby!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I remember all those high pressure penalties. He must have missed one or two but he was our best penalty taker - no-one like him since

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I admit this era is the Best Ever in the Albion's history for me, 20 years old in 1977, nothing will beat that period when we went from the Third to the First division. Wonderful times with our wonderful captain.

Happy birthday Sir Brian.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Pleased to see it's not just me.

A few of us used to have a cheeky pint with Graham Moseley and Gerry Ryan (they lived in our town).

They confirmed that our Brian and Jim Cannon absolutely HATED each other. :thumbsup:

Interesting.
I met Jim Cannon quite a few years ago and had a chat about the rivalry between our two clubs. Came over as quite a decent bloke. Lucky I didn't mention Nobby! Anyway, I did tell him that he pissed me off sometimes when we played Palace , because he was usually pretty good at marking Wardy! He laughed!

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Also my favorite player. Always laughed when he went in for crunching tackle that would leave the opponent almost dead and he would just walk up tap them on the shoulder to say sorry and then walk away with a smile on his face. Loved that!:bowdown:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I remember that: a miserable. drizzly, misty day. Poskett scored IIRC but don't remember any rendition of Happy Birthday.

But what a player Nobby was - hope he has a great birthday

Well remembered about the miserable day. Yep Poskett I think as well. It was in the warm up that we sang. You were still in the pub?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Definitely this, The walk to Hove station after the 74 game was very scary to a 15 year old..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well remembered about the miserable day. Yep Poskett I think as well. It was in the warm up that we sang. You were still in the pub?

Yeah probably. I used to get to away games in time to visit a couple of pubs in the Good Beer Guide and get to the ground by kick-off. I don't think the pubs in Hull were much to write home about either

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here