Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you don't feel old at times.....

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
At our lowest point at Gillingham, Brian came back and performed a miracle, he put some life back into us, and started to re-float the titanic, it co en-sided with (the internet i.e one needed a name and avatar) and two young women that would walk around the touch line of the ground just before half time. This happened at every game, they would walk around three sides of the pitch starting at the Priestfield Road end, along the Gordan road side, in front of the Rainham End and then up the tunnel on the Redfern Avenue side, just before the halftime whistle went.

One always carried one of those sack money bags (I assume with the takings) the other always had a clingfilm wrapped iceberg lettuce. It showed how awful the games could be, that we ever noticed this. I then realised that this lettuce was somehow brought at Mr Hortons request and that he would both throw, kick and flail the iceberg lettuce around the changing room during his halftime rant-motivational speech. I imagine as it was so terrifying this is why we have never heard, Kerry Mayo or Gary Hart ever mention it in interview, although they may never have been asked.

I now read this back and it seems so surreal (like a Meades Ball post) in this age of £35 million training centers and a week where we spent over £12 million pounds on three youth players no one gets to see play. But I am sure somewhere in the AMEX museum perhaps out the back their is a display cabinet with both Brian Horton's no 4 shirt and alongside it one of those plastic food fibre glass imitation lettuces the kind you get displaying food in restaurants.

Unimaginable I know - but its the truth and story behind the online name, I do hope he got an iceberg lettuce for his birthday and I like to think he blasted a penalty or two with it into the grand kids football nets in the garden perhaps while no one was watching. So even though he is a Wolves fan he loves Brighton and Hove Albion and says that the two promotions he won with us were the highlights of his career. Forever our captain marvel.

Oh and vegster says the one on my avatar is not a iceberg lettuce but something like a batavia lettuce, but it took ages back in the day to make it fit around the ball in the photo of him tackling Jerry Murphy in one of his Palace derby games, so the incorrect one stayed.

your avatar and the reason for it and name,is I think the best on NSC :thumbsup:

I'd argue with Veg in saying it's probably not curly enough for a Batavia
I'm always delivering the things down here
possibly a feuille de chene blonde (roughly translated as oak leaf)
but,it's all grass to me :lol:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What a great story. To be filed under 'Stranger Than Fiction'. Thank you for taking the time to post.

When our club was crashing down and on its knees and people were chasing MP's and owners around the country, it seemed quite a normal story. Only the other day in a thread Stewart Weir was talking about waiting outside Bill Archers house, and some Albion supporters a father and his kids were playing football in his garden, like it was quite normal and back then it was so upside down, it sort of was the norm.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
your avatar and the reason for it and name,is I think the best on NSC :thumbsup:

I'd argue with Veg in saying it's probably not curly enough for a Batavia
I'm always delivering the things down here
possibly a feuille de chene blonde (roughly translated as oak leaf)
but,it's all grass to me :lol:

You know at the time I think Vegster did call it right, its just I have forgotten and for the life of me cannot remember what one he said. I hope I am not dishonoring Mr Horton and his veg (is lettuce a veg) based Priestfield charades.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Witch at Lindfield. Sadly not.

He is not well at all. He has gone home to Dublin I believe.

I read this the other day and I've managed to get an update on Gerry's situation; suffice to say that he has been in quite poor health over the past few years, he's "not to bad now" and in good spirits. He is indeed living back in Ireland, and still travels to Brighton to see his son.

Good news really for one of my favourite all time Brighton players - I'll never forget him coming on as sub in the 83 Cup Final and playing his socks off!

Here's to you Gerry Ryan!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read this the other day and I've managed to get an update on Gerry's situation; suffice to say that he has been in quite poor health over the past few years, he's "not to bad now" and in good spirits. He is indeed living back in Ireland, and still travels to Brighton to see his son.

Good news really for one of my favourite all time Brighton players - I'll never forget him coming on as sub in the 83 Cup Final and playing his socks off!

Here's to you Gerry Ryan!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

That is good news. Thanks for the update FG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At our lowest point at Gillingham, Brian came back and performed a miracle, he put some life back into us, and started to re-float the titanic, it co en-sided with (the internet i.e one needed a name and avatar) and two young women that would walk around the touch line of the ground just before half time. This happened at every game, they would walk around three sides of the pitch starting at the Priestfield Road end, along the Gordan road side, in front of the Rainham End and then up the tunnel on the Redfern Avenue side, just before the halftime whistle went.

One always carried one of those sack money bags (I assume with the takings) the other always had a clingfilm wrapped iceberg lettuce. It showed how awful the games could be, that we ever noticed this. I then realised that this lettuce was somehow brought at Mr Hortons request and that he would both throw, kick and flail the iceberg lettuce around the changing room during his halftime rant-motivational speech. I imagine as it was so terrifying this is why we have never heard, Kerry Mayo or Gary Hart ever mention it in interview, although they may never have been asked.

I now read this back and it seems so surreal (like a Meades Ball post) in this age of £35 million training centers and a week where we spent over £12 million pounds on three youth players no one gets to see play. But I am sure somewhere in the AMEX museum perhaps out the back their is a display cabinet with both Brian Horton's no 4 shirt and alongside it one of those plastic food fibre glass imitation lettuces the kind you get displaying food in restaurants.

Unimaginable I know - but its the truth and story behind the online name, I do hope he got an iceberg lettuce for his birthday and I like to think he blasted a penalty or two with it into the grand kids football nets in the garden perhaps while no one was watching. So even though he is a Wolves fan he loves Brighton and Hove Albion and says that the two promotions he won with us were the highlights of his career. Forever our captain marvel.

Oh and vegster says the one on my avatar is not a iceberg lettuce but something like a batavia lettuce, but it took ages back in the day to make it fit around the ball in the photo of him tackling Jerry Murphy in one of his Palace derby games, so the incorrect one stayed.

Brilliant post. Fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here