Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Stadium Catering Prices Slashed

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Atlanta Stadium pricing revolution

I'm reasonably happy with the catering at the Amex which I find is better than many stadiums I've visited.
However the owner of Atlanta Falcons has certainly shaken things up in the US with many stadiums following his bold approach.

A fascinating article. Over to you PB.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I'm reasonably happy with the catering at the Amex which I find is better than many stadiums I've visited.
However the owner of Atlanta Falcons has certainly shaken things up in the US with many stadiums following his bold approach.

Lovely. Even longer queues. Most of the people in that queue will already give up queueing most of the time before they get served. Now DOUBLING the catering prices might just thin out the queues a bit. Tho many of the Amex Twickers crowd will simply take it in their stride and put it on their card :moo:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'd certainly eat at the ground if pricing was lower. In the early days when going to the football was a 'treat' I didn't mind being shafted. However, now I go regularly I eat before I get to the ground, and only have a hot chocolate or a tea if I really fancy one. Otherwise, no spend from me.

To quote the article.. "One other key is speed..."

Good Luck. The only way you'll achieve that is with a heavy slant on self-service.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Haven't read it apologies. But the Amex being better interests me. Have you been in a stadium other than ours as a home watcher? Or just away games where, generally, the catering and away fan experience is bloody awful? I once did a home game at Arsenal when I lived in North London and it was fantastic. Ok it was £13 for fish and chips, I didn't, no. They have padded seats and air con as I remember. And I was in the highest tier and in the back row but still had a very impressive view. No-one talked or sang though, library.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Haven't read it apologies. But the Amex being better interests me. Have you been in a stadium other than ours as a home watcher? Or just away games where, generally, the catering and away fan experience is bloody awful?

My own rule of thumb when running a business is to ignore what levels the competition are at. Set yourself the highest bar possible, then keep raising it as often as you possibly can. If you're behind the competition, you'll catch them up. If you're ahead already, you'll become uncatchable.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
One thing I would say is that in the US they already have a much higher price point than us. I went to a concert in Boston in the summer and it was 12$ for a beer. The article reads that the huge price cut is actually reducing beers to $4 and hot dogs to $2, which isn't actually that much lower than here anyway. Although it is slightly pricey at the amex, I would actually say it's probably about right, considering the amount we sell currently anyway.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Haven't read it apologies. But the Amex being better interests me. Have you been in a stadium other than ours as a home watcher? Or just away games where, generally, the catering and away fan experience is bloody awful? I once did a home game at Arsenal when I lived in North London and it was fantastic. Ok it was £13 for fish and chips, I didn't, no. They have padded seats and air con as I remember. And I was in the highest tier and in the back row but still had a very impressive view. No-one talked or sang though, library.

Why on earth do you need airconditioning at a football match?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My own rule of thumb when running a business is to ignore what levels the competition are at. Set yourself the highest bar possible, then keep raising it as often as you possibly can. If you're behind the competition, you'll catch them up. If you're ahead already, you'll become uncatchable.

I haven't got a scooby what you're on about.

I dunno!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If a football match was the same pace / length as NFL maybe. The problem with football is basically there is a mad 15-30min rush before the game, a 15min window at half time and that’s it.

NFL is 3 hours, can drink at seats etc

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If a football match was the same pace / length as NFL maybe. The problem with football is basically there is a mad 15-30min rush before the game, a 15min window at half time and that’s it.

NFL is 3 hours, can drink at seats etc

True.

So, getting extra staff in for 2 hours just for a couple of rushes isn't going to stack up. So, we're back to self-service.

Kudos to the hot dog company for having the girls wandering around with the little boxes of them. If you pay a flat minimum wage for say 3 hours then a bonus of every one sold, it'd make it worthwhile for the person selling them. Profit margins on food like this are very high, so it's not unrealistic.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A decent hot dog at the Amex would be a wonderful experience. A constituted sausage between some sugar filled bun with little to grab the taste buds other than a sachet of ketchup, all for a paltry 4 quid is pretty shit in my opinion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

to eat the £13 fish and chips in comfort silly.

now, why want £13 fish and chips at the football...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here