Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do hope there's some kind of basic entry criteria for The Independent Group. Else it could end up as the new home if alm sorts of flouncing self-serving monsters with not an idealistic bone in their body.

It may need some form of control by its MP’s, otherwise it could be hijacked by opponents joining as members, aiming to crush or fatally embarrass it in its formative years. We saw the manipulation that went into the last US Presidential Election.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Any news from the unprincipled new IP group? Anyone got any ideas on their opinions on Civil investment, NHS, police, immigration, HS2, Fracking, climate change.....anything? No? still just brexit then. A one dimensional group. Laughable.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Rubbish. They are all remainers and EVERYONE knows it, yet you haven't checked! Yeah ok we believe you. There is nothing extreme about the ERG. They represent the referendum winners.

Fair enough. I was fairly sure they were all Remainers, but had not gone back to check. My main point, though, was that it was most certainly not the only reason they were doing what they have done, whether they are Labour or Conservative.

I would have to agree that the ERG is upholding the Leave side. I am not privy to the precise views of each and every member of the ERG, but when it comes down to it I think anyone who tries to push the notion that leaving with "No Deal" should be seen as extreme.

If we end up with a no deal on March 29th, I hate to think how things will turn out. Even if it doesn't work out too bad, the amount of money that the current fiasco has already cost business in this country is devastating, although things about Nissan and Honda and others are said not to be about BREXIT (and yes, there are plenty of other factors in play), the uncertainty will not have made those decisions any more difficult.

But basically, those who have let things come to a point where we are little more than a month away with no idea of what will be in place on March 30th are a total waste of space.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Any news from the unprincipled new IP group? Anyone got any ideas on their opinions on Civil investment, NHS, police, immigration, HS2, Fracking, climate change.....anything? No? still just brexit then. A one dimensional group. Laughable.

Any one of them has got more in the way of principles in their little finger than Boris Johnson has in his whole body.

They are not a political party. They do not have policies. They may become a political party, in which case they will need to have policies. Considering that all they have done so far is resign from their current parties, they already seem to have a fair amount of support from various quarters. It may all come to nothing, but who knows. The one thing they DO have is Principles.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It's so strange that we don't have a successful party between Labour and the Conservatives. On paper I'd think they'd walk it, as so few voters seem to want the left of Labour or the right of the Tories.

Trigg, I’m with you but our system prevents it, it only works for a two party system. For what you and I, and I think most people, want in terms sensible politics require a new system.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Any one of them has got more in the way of principles in their little finger than Boris Johnson has in his whole body.

They are not a political party. They do not have policies. They may become a political party, in which case they will need to have policies. Considering that all they have done so far is resign from their current parties, they already seem to have a fair amount of support from various quarters. It may all come to nothing, but who knows. The one thing they DO have is Principles.

As you say, just Brexit then. I don't agree about the principles otherwise they would submit to Bi elections wouldn't they.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I’m ready, please justify the splurge of PFI contracts to the tune of £300bn......

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...arillion-capita-financial-crash-a8202661.html

Blair a leftie........lmfao.

The explosion in PFI was down to Gordon Brown imo. It didn’t show on UKs debt even though it was backed by public money, It made him look like a prudent Chancellor. It was smoke and mirrors like his stopping tax relief on pensions. Nobody noticed, who looks at their pensions until it is too late?
He made a great play of not increasing Income tax rates, even introducing a 10% rate at one time. What no-one noticed was the threshold for paying tax stayed the same for years. The Lib Dems campaigned on that and the increase was introduced under the Coalition. Of course the Tories took the credit for that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The explosion in PFI was down to Gordon Brown imo. It didn’t show on UKs debt even though it was backed by public money, It made him look like a prudent Chancellor. It was smoke and mirrors like his stopping tax relief on pensions. Nobody noticed, who looks at their pensions until it is too late?
He made a great play of not increasing Income tax rates, even introducing a 10% rate at one time. What no-one noticed was the threshold for paying tax stayed the same for years. The Lib Dems campaigned on that and the increase was introduced under the Coalition. Of course the Tories took the credit for that.

No it didn't. Threshold was £4045 when they came to power in 1997 and when they left it was £6475 with steady increases during that period generally above the rate of inflation.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
No it didn't. Threshold was £4045 when they came to power in 1997 and when they left it was £6475 with steady increases during that period generally above the rate of inflation.

Thank you for the figures which sound right to me. I remember thinking some time before New Labour left, why is anyone paying income tax for earning more than 6475 gbp per annum.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Stop digging. GG brought up the Nazi comparison comparing 21st century UK news coverage about anti Semitism with Nazi Germany propaganda. If you really believe the two are comparable or it's an acceptable reference you are beyond hope.

George Galloway was competely right to make this comparison. The stakes are extremely high. He is very well informed on these matters and does not make them lightly. The main stream media is full of this type of deep-state propaganda directed against those who don't toe the prescribed line on geo-political issues affecting Israel and USA foreign policy. The USA and Israel will not countenance a leader of the the UK such as Corbyn who is opposed to the neo-con consensus and their grabs for resources, so they`ll concoct any slurs and smears at him and his wing of the Labour party, and if ultimately this does not succeed I suspect assassination, as they probably did with David Kelly, and Robin Cook who stood in their way in their ambitions in Iraq.

You watch, the bogus anti-semitism slurs will next be directed to the presidetial Bernie Sanders (even though he is Jewish!) and Tulsi Gabbard in the USA who dare to step out of line.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

robbing the pensions estimated to cost £280bn last figure i saw. crafty fellow was Brown.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm amazed people voted for these people in the first place

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Anyway this is just another cover-up, just like brexit is, keeps us all thinking politicians are worth having..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

PFI is an unmitigated scandal yet to be truly exposed, the only reason the Tories don’t make much of it is that they would be criticising their own model of Government.

The fact is that private outsourcing companies, their bosses and shareholders have already and will benefit financially for decades to come to the tune of many billions of pounds of taxpayers money. This money (profit) is way in excess of the projects capital costs.

https://www.newstatesman.com/staggers/2014/07/save-nhs-labour-must-face-ugly-truth-pfi

Under Labour in the Blair/Brown years analysis indicates that from circa £50bn of capital expended by private companies the taxpayer is in hoc to the tune of £200bn a shocking waste, as explained by the NAO.

http://www.infrastructure-intelligence.com/article/jan-2018/nao-questions-value-money-pfi-contracts

I generally can’t abide Tories with their free market capitalism, it’s why Labour under Blair and Brown was so excruciating. Blairites could justifiably certainly point to investment in the NHS etc. but at what cost? As with the Tory playbook 1.01 banks and private business are balls deep in Govt arrangements, and the taxpayer takes it up the arse.

Sadly this corporate excess and greed never ends well, it’s why Carrillion has gone, along with some NHS trusts unable to bear the burden of PFI. In short more workers taking it up the arse.

Of course I could be wrong........I look forward to someone justifying PFI and why it’s “left wing”.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
robbing the pensions estimated to cost £280bn last figure i saw. crafty fellow was Brown.

And what about the companies that took pension holidays. Unilever did more to damage their pension scheme than Brown ever did.

An extract from an article in 2004

Unilever, the maker of Wall's ice cream and Persil enjoyed seven years of pension holidays. It not only saved millions of pounds but in 1999 also swiped the fund's £270m "surplus", adding it to Unilever's profits. Since 1992 it has stripped £1.2bn from its fund and about two thirds, £726m, was handed back to shareholders in the form of higher profits and bigger dividends. Bitter? Unilever pensioners certainly are. They have run a long-term campaign for the money to be used to boost their pensions rather than directors' salaries, but without success.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2004/jul/10/pensions.jobsandmoney

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And yet...

Your graph is meaningless as it gives no indication of inflation, population etc. As a % of gdp it’s been going down...

health-care-spending-percent-gdp.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
PFI is an unmitigated scandal yet to be truly exposed, the only reason the Tories don’t make much of it is that they would be criticising their own model of Government.

The fact is that private outsourcing companies, their bosses and shareholders have already and will benefit financially for decades to come to the tune of many billions of pounds of taxpayers money. This money (profit) is way in excess of the projects capital costs.

https://www.newstatesman.com/staggers/2014/07/save-nhs-labour-must-face-ugly-truth-pfi

Under Labour in the Blair/Brown years analysis indicates that from circa £50bn of capital expended by private companies the taxpayer is in hoc to the tune of £200bn a shocking waste, as explained by the NAO.

http://www.infrastructure-intelligence.com/article/jan-2018/nao-questions-value-money-pfi-contracts

I generally can’t abide Tories with their free market capitalism, it’s why Labour under Blair and Brown was so excruciating. Blairites could justifiably certainly point to investment in the NHS etc. but at what cost? As with the Tory playbook 1.01 banks and private business are balls deep in Govt arrangements, and the taxpayer takes it up the arse.

Sadly this corporate excess and greed never ends well, it’s why Carrillion has gone, along with some NHS trusts unable to bear the burden of PFI. In short more workers taking it up the arse.

Of course I could be wrong........I look forward to someone justifying PFI and why it’s “left wing”.

On your very last sentence, Brown/Blair/many others justify PFI because it accelerated the building of new school and hospital buildings.

[That’s not an argument by me. Just relaying what has always been said].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here