Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have no time for those MPs who were elected as Labour Party candidates who have now spat the dummy and left.

They have disenfranchised those who elected them as Labour Party candidates and if they want to assume the moral high ground they should apply for the CHiltern Hundreds, resign as MPs and stand as Independents in by-elections.

On a lesser scale, I voted for the Labour Party candidate in my Ward in the last Council elections. He was elected. A few months later I wanted to contact him and when I looked up his contact details I found he was sitting as an Independent on Worthing Council having been suspended by the Labour Party. Three times I have written to the leader of the Labour Party on Worthing Council to request an explanation and she has refused to provide any.

People generally vote for a Party, rather than an individual. If you vote for, say, a Labour Party candidate and they are elected then IMO the successful candidate should continue to be a member of the Party they stood for in the election. If they then decide to spit the dummy they should be obliged to immediately resign their seat and create a by-election.

Shocking behaviour by individuals who are undermining our democratic process.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have no time for those MPs who were elected as Labour Party candidates who have now spat the dummy and left.

They have disenfranchised those who elected them as Labour Party candidates and if they want to assume the moral high ground they should apply for the CHiltern Hundreds, resign as MPs and stand as Independents in by-elections.

On a lesser scale, I voted for the Labour Party candidate in my Ward in the last Council elections. He was elected. A few months later I wanted to contact him and when I looked up his contact details I found he was sitting as an Independent on Worthing Council having been suspended by the Labour Party. Three times I have written to the leader of the Labour Party on Worthing Council to request an explanation and she has refused to provide any.

People generally vote for a Party, rather than an individual. If you vote for, say, a Labour Party candidate and they are elected then IMO the successful candidate should continue to be a member of the Party they stood for in the election. If they then decide to spit the dummy they should be obliged to immediately resign their seat and create a by-election.

We vote for individuals. If we voted for parties we'd have PR - which would be a much better state of affairs

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Finally a mention of politicans defecting in PMQs - and it is when Maria Caulfield raises the Labour Brighton & Hove council member joining the Tories. :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This breakaway group is exciting. For the first time in quite a while i feel hopeful about the future of politics. Hopefully they will stand for similar values to me because between May's Conservative party and Corbyn's Labour, i feel politically homeless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We vote for individuals. If we voted for parties we'd have PR - which would be a much better state of affairs

We vote for individuals? Cloud cuckoo land! We vote for the candidate who represents the party we want to see in Government, pretty much regardless of whether or not we like the individual (or whether we know anything about them at all, other than that they're the Labour/Tory/Lib Dem party candidate).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so in favour of PR and party lists? technically we vote for the candidate, the party affiliation is suppose to simply give support to them. suggesting it undermines democracy goes too far, they are still representing their constituents and will still have views as they did before. though i would be all for removing the party system in elections, i'm not sure how you'd remove it all together.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We vote for individuals? Cloud cuckoo land! We vote for the candidate who represents the party we want to see in Government, pretty much regardless of whether or not we like the individual (or whether we know anything about them at all, other than that they're the Labour/Tory/Lib Dem party candidate).

Err...Caroline Lucas is a superb constituency MP, caring, compassionate and committed, who I would always vote for, regardless of her being a Green party candidate.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Err...Stephen Lloyd is a superb constituency MP, caring, compassionate and committed, who I would always vote for, regardless of him being a Lib Dem party candidate.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This. Definitely at general elections, unless the leading candidate for a constituency is embroiled in controversy, where the swing of some voters keeps them out.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Indeed. Most people vote for a party and by extension its policies and manifesto. If a dustbin was the candidate, those that are strong believers in labour or tory would vote for the dustbin.
The exception might be people like Caroline Lucas whose supporters will link as an individual as no one wants to admit to actually supporting a green party manifesto........would they all still vote for her as an individual if she stood as a Tory candidate........probably not

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Err...Stephen Lloyd is a superb constituency MP, caring, compassionate and committed, who I would always vote for, regardless of him being a Lib Dem party candidate.

Err...Stephen Lloyd may be a superb constituency MP, caring, compassionate and committed, but as a Lib Dem candidate he would not get my vote, not if hell was freezing over and he was the only candidate standing.

I suspect the number of people who vote for a nice bloke, regardless of what party he or she represents, is a very small minority of the electorate.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

SL is, you’re right.

But he is helped because Eastbourne is not a staunchly Labour or Tory seat. He wouldn’t have a hope in say Hackney or Kensington & Chelsea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here