Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Always voted Labour but can't vote for Corbyn.

Everything's so toxic nowadays. The abuse I've seen from the Hard Left towards ANYONE who doesn't tow the party line is, quite frankly, disgusting.

To see it from a Party I used to identify with so strongly has been really tough to take. It's like history repeating seeing the nasty hard left take control. They spent 18 years in the wilderness as a result, and deservedly so.
It's so strange that we don't have a successful party between Labour and the Conservatives. On paper I'd think they'd walk it, as so few voters seem to want the left of Labour or the right of the Tories.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Go on... whatever you expected... it is even worse / more hilarious that you imagined possible :)
I literally can't do it. It just feels too wrong. It feels like I'm selling my children or something. If you feel like paraphrasing, I'll read your posts :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I literally can't do it. It just feels too wrong. It feels like I'm selling my children or something. If you feel like paraphrasing, I'll read your posts :)

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/watch-george-galloway-compares-journalist-to-goebbels/

George Galloway has just waded into Labour’s anti-Semitism row and it is safe to say his intervention won’t do much to calm things down. The firebrand former politician said the claims of anti-Semitism agains the Labour party were a lie – and he then compared the Sky News journalist interviewing him to Josef Goebbels. Here’s what he said:

GG: ‘It is really a black-op what is going on here. This is pure Goebbelian propaganda.’

Niall Paterson: ‘We’ve just mentioned Luciana Berger, do you think it is entirely relevant to talk about Goebbelian propaganda?’

GG: ‘I do.’

NP: ‘We’ve got a Jewish Labour MP leaving because of anti-Semitism.’

GG: ‘I don’t believe she is leaving because of anti-Semitism, I believe you want people to believe that and the Goebbels is you. And the Times. And the other organs that are pumping out this foul slander against the Labour party knowing that it is untrue’

Oh dear…

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It isn't.

Blair increased "per pupil" funding by 55%. He put in place plans for a 7% annual increase of NHS spending every year, from 1998-2008. That's staggering. He wasn't considered 'hard left' by any stretch.

I agree, Blair over leveraged PFI arrangements to benefit private businesses, their bosses and shareholders so that the taxpayer was given a right shoeing. The contracts agreed by the Govt were tantamount to free money, and we can see the effects of that policy coming home to roost with the collapse of Carillion and other outsourcers on the brink.

He wasn’t even “left” the war mongering Tory shithouse.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/watch-george-galloway-compares-journalist-to-goebbels/

George Galloway has just waded into Labour’s anti-Semitism row and it is safe to say his intervention won’t do much to calm things down. The firebrand former politician said the claims of anti-Semitism agains the Labour party were a lie – and he then compared the Sky News journalist interviewing him to Josef Goebbels. Here’s what he said:

GG: ‘It is really a black-op what is going on here. This is pure Goebbelian propaganda.’

Niall Paterson: ‘We’ve just mentioned Luciana Berger, do you think it is entirely relevant to talk about Goebbelian propaganda?’

GG: ‘I don’t believe she is leaving because of anti-Semitism, I believe you want people to believe that and the Goebbels is you. And the Times. And the other organs that are pumping out this foul slander against the Labour party knowing that it is untrue’

Oh dear…
Thank you. I despise that man/cat.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Oh dear…

What a twazzock.

I have only witnessed anti-semitism in the flesh once. At NUS conference. The national treasurer of NUS was audibly called (shouted at) 'baby killer' several times because he was Jewish - apparently because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. There wasn't one person doing this, there was a group of people.

He was talking on a matter of finance, entirely unrelated to Palestine or Israel.

This group were all wearing bright green t-shirts, t-shirts of the Respect political party (remember them?). The Party leader was George Galloway. I am not saying he is an anti-semite, however he does seem to attract them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Oh dear…

Just waded into? I've been debating that clip on Twitter for over 24 hours now. Christ.

Oh and he's spot on in one respect - Labour is no more antisemitic than any other mainstream party. What's more, he robustly backs up that point with FACTS - facts that you have not bothered to quote after the "controversial" text you have chosen to list.

Meanwhile, we are being led towards disaster, partly because smug Tories like you won't bother holding your own people to account. You'd rather just snort and guffaw at the latest Labour implosion.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Oh dear…

GG is a well known Islamophile and Israel/jew hater anyway.

Not surprising

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Just waded into? I've been debating that clip on Twitter for over 24 hours now. Christ.

Oh and he's spot on in one respect - Labour is no any more antisemitic than any other mainstream party. What's more, he robustly backs up that point with FACTS - facts that you have not bothered to quote after the "controversial" text you have chosen to list.

Meanwhile, we are being led towards disaster, partly because smug Tories like you won't bother holding your own people to account. You'd rather just snort and guffaw at the latest Labour implosion.

Calm down dear... I posted it yesterday at about 11 o'clock.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...n-parliament&p=8786667&viewfull=1#post8786667

Trigaaar commented on it a few minutes ago.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It isn't.

Blair increased "per pupil" funding by 55%. He put in place plans for a 7% annual increase of NHS spending every year, from 1998-2008. That's staggering. He wasn't considered 'hard left' by any stretch.

Tony Blair led Governments may have made some very bad decisions but they also made some incredibly good decisions the one they should feel most pride in was the funding of the Health and Social welfare SureStart was a fantastic innovation and the NHS as a whole benifited, I worked in the NHS for 35 years that spanned the Thatcher, Major Blair, Brown Coalition years Cameron and May and I have to say the only time the NHS was funded correctly was during Tony Blairs Premiership at all other times before and after the NHS was forced to make savings year on year

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a twazzock.

I have only witnessed anti-semitism in the flesh once. At NUS conference. The national treasurer of NUS was audibly called (shouted at) 'baby killer' several times because he was Jewish - apparently because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. There wasn't one person doing this, there was a group of people.

He was talking on a matter of finance, entirely unrelated to Palestine or Israel.

This group were all wearing bright green t-shirts, t-shirts of the Respect political party (remember them?). The Party leader was George Galloway. I am not saying he is an anti-semite, however he does seem to attract them.

I always had you down as considerably more intelligent than the sort of smug Tory that trots out Labour internal strife whilst his own party destroys the country. Did you click on the link? What he says is worthy of consideration. [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] didn't bother to quote his piffly fact things like:

In response to whether Goebellian was the right thing to say:
GG: Repeat a lie enough times and it becomes true
GG: I don't believe she is leaving because of antisemitism. I believe you want people to believe that, and the Goebels is you, and The Times.

GG: The Wavertree Labour party has a Jewish chair! Luciana Berger was 3 times elected as a Labour MP in Liverpool Wavertree! That doesn't sound like antisemitism to me.

In all honesty, do you believe the Labour party is any more antisemitic than any other mainstream party? Good on him for using Goebels I say.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I always had you down as considerably more intelligent than the sort of smug Tory that trots out Labour internal strife whilst his own party destroys the country. Did you click on the link? What he says is worthy of consideration. [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] didn't bother to quote his piffly fact things like:

In response to whether Goebellian was the right thing to say:
GG: Repeat a lie enough times and it becomes true
GG: I don't believe she is leaving because of antisemitism. I believe you want people to believe that, and the Goebels is you, and The Times.

GG: The Wavertree Labour party has a Jewish chair! Luciana Berger was 3 times elected as a Labour MP in Liverpool Wavertree! That doesn't sound like antisemitism to me.

In all honesty, do you believe the Labour party is any more antisemitic than any other mainstream party?

Good on him for using Goebels

The wavertree Labour party has a Jewish chair

Not a Tory at all, just relaying a story I saw with my own eyes about a particular ex Political Party and its' 'youth' movement.

But ta for the insult :kiss:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good on him for using Goebels I say.
I haven't watched it, and I don't know whether antisemitism is worse in the Labour party than in the Conservative party. But him calling our news outlets Goebellian is a bit rich when he's worked for RT.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't watched it, and I don't know whether antisemitism is worse in the Labour party than in the Conservative party. But him calling our news outlets Goebellian is a bit rich when he's worked for RT.
No it really isn't rich at all and he explains why he says as much in that very clip. And isn't it a bit rich to call him out for doing so without bothering to listen to his reasoning?

The thing is, I'm no fan of GG but I don't see why he shouldn't be subject to the same even playing field as anyone else. He's railing against the notion that Labour are any more or less antisemitic than any other party. I have yet to see any real evidence that they are.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Suspect there will be some interesting new polling results appear overnight. The polling since the Labour splinter group left has been positive for them (polls taken before the Tory group joined them had them at 14%), tonight will be the first opportunity to see what happens now there's a mixed group.

Was very interesting in one of last night's polls that there's been a significant shift towards "don't know". There's a good visualisation of it here: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/02/20/14-would-vote-independent-group. There's the potential, if they can leverage the initial good start they've had, for that 14% to grow significantly by drawing in the don't knows - maybe even pushing them into direct competition with Labour (in the polling) if they organise themselves effectively.

Even a moderate level of success could see the death of the Lib Dems as a party. Their polling has tanked since TIG has been added to the options.

Keen to start hearing some early policy thinking from them. My "natural" political position is slightly right on economics and slightly left on social / environment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here