Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Labour party break-up ?

I can’t understand why they don’t just join the party that already exists and seems a good fit for them all - the Liberal Democrats. Is it for the same reasons the SDP didn’t do the same (nobody would notice)?

I’ve never understood why so many slightly left of centre politicians think the Lib Dem’s aren’t the party for them and try to make the left wing Labour Party change to suit them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why would there be a by-election?

A Labour MP is in prison and there's no up coming by-election in her constituency.

Each of the MPs were elected under the Labour Party manifesto under Corbyn's leadership which they are saying they don't believe in anymore – Labour's stance hasn't actually changed since 2017. So democratically you have been elected to represent something, which you are now saying you no longer do.

The MP in prison is under Parliamentary rules in regard to her position as a sitting MP. It is a different set of circumstances. The Labour Party are trying to act within those rules to create the situation where she can be challenged.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I doubt Nus Ghani is aware of Brighton and Hove Albion FC having been parachuted in from Birmingham.

I bet she'd heard of Waitrose in Uckfield, Crowborough, Heathfield and Hailsham though - that's whats most important in her constituency of Wealden. She'll know where it's at.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As much as young people reaching voting age are likely to be naive enough to swallow Corbyn bribes, just as many are reaching their mid 30’s and realising that idealism does not pay the bills. The UK has an ageing population, in the long term Labour are fxxked.

I would have agreed with you pre-2017, but that election and the swing share of the vote from the previous shocked everyone. For many, the current politics isn't paying the bills either. As with the EU, the electorate, regardless of the perceived damage, may wish to try a different view. Perhaps the electorate is no longer scared of any form of project fear?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Each of the MPs were elected under the Labour Party manifesto under Corbyn's leadership which they are saying they don't believe in anymore – Labour's stance hasn't actually changed since 2017. So democratically you have been elected to represent something, which you are now saying you no longer do.

SOME people place their vote based on the party ..... you know, the idiots that say "my grandfather voted x, my father voted x, and I will always vote x" ...... SOME voters have more intelligence and vote for the PERSON that will best support their constituency.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
SOME people place their vote based on the party ..... you know, the idiots that say "my grandfather voted x, my father voted x, and I will always vote x" ...... SOME voters have more intelligence and vote for the PERSON that will best support their constituency.

That is entirely true. And of course a by-election would establish that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't see the point of this. Political suicide for them surely? What are they going to achieve from this? If they set up a new party with their policies I could understand it better but otherwise what is the purpose? It won't bring Corbyn down because his party membership heavily supports him so what is the end goal that they are trying to achieve?

If you get a chance to watch in full what they all said this morning, you'll see that question answered. Whether you agree with them or not, they have all been made to feel that the Labour party has changed from under them, and can no longer after three years bite their lips and pretend they agree with certain key policies and leadership decisions. Maybe it is rash, maybe it is hopeless, but if you were in a job supporting something every day you didn't believe in and were having to lie through your teeth in public, could you do it?

They have reached breaking point and feel this is the only solution.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

So, you’re basically ruling out the possibility that anybody votes based on the content of a party’s manifesto.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No idea. You seem to have some obsession with him though. Maybe you're after a threesome with him and Amber Rudd ?

No, I'm not, but that's funny you should mention threesomes and Peter Kyle though - the only one I ever had was in 1998 in Portslade - his constituency. I was 19 and my girlfriend at the time, and her friend in Portslade, were older than me and took advantage of my youthful vulnerability and coerced me into it. Despite the consumption of alcohol, I'm sure you can understand I was very much against the idea. Portslade means many things to many people, I don't know what it means to you Westdene, but to me it always means 1998 and that.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
If you get a chance to watch in full what they all said this morning, you'll see that question answered. Whether you agree with them or not, they have all been made to feel that the Labour party has changed from under them, and can no longer after three years bite their lips and pretend they agree with certain key policies and leadership decisions. Maybe it is rash, maybe it is hopeless, but if you were in a job supporting something every day you didn't believe in and were having to lie through your teeth in public, could you do it?

They have reached breaking point and feel this is the only solution.

Calling Justin Welby.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So, you’re basically ruling out the possibility that anybody votes based on the content of a party’s manifesto.

How many of the 47 million registered to vote look at manifestos? Most people have the herd instinct of “My Dad always voted Labour and ‘ates Tories, so do I.” Or similar. From a drip-drip-drip of parental influence over a childhood.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
No, I'm not, but that's funny you should mention threesomes and Peter Kyle though - the only one I ever had was in 1998 in Portslade - his constituency. I was 19 and my girlfriend at the time, and her friend in Portslade, were older than me and took advantage of my youthful vulnerability and coerced me into it. Despite the consumption of alcohol, I'm sure you can understand I was very much against the idea. Portslade means many things to many people, I don't know what it means to you Westdene, but to me it always means 1998 and that.

Ha ha ...... pull the other one !!!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Brexit is undoubtedly a political force that neither main party could have a leader who could meld the factions within their party. Labour has more MPs committed to fulfilling the will of the referendum as it does those prepared to split because they are not getting their 2nd referendum. He took the parliamentary party into the 2017 general election full of doubt, and delivered a bloody nose to the government, and a share of the vote not seen since 1997.

Did the leaderships of William Hague, Iain Duncan Smith and Michael Howard pass you by? William Hague managed to deliver the biggest majority to a sitting government in history outside the war years.

4 MPs threatening to leave is the same if not less than the same amount threatening to quit the Tory party. I'm not actually a Corbyn fan believe it or not, but he is hardly destroying a party with whom he has grown membership to record levels. To have won 2017 would have been an unprecedented turn around in a short space of time for the previous election. They didn't win, but the result was a surprise, especially to the government.

Convince yourself all you want that it's not the case, but the issue that was always looming, that would split the Tory Party has actually split the Labour Party as well.

As for the likes of Hague, he was up against a very popular Government, whereas, I don't believe you can possibly say that of the current lot.

Anyway, each to their own, you see it how you see it, that's what opinions are all about.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

My two 'SOME voters' don't add up to 100%. That said the parties publish manifestos and rarely carry them out when they win.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here