Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really? So why did he keep voting against labour policy?

Because that was in the 90s. As far as Corbyn's concerned the rot started with Kinnock and by the time Blair took over, it was Tory Party Mark 2

I've not checked but I bet he didn't vote against Foot's anti-EU, unilateral disarmament party many times (if at all)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because that was in the 90s. As far as Corbyn's concerned the rot started with Kinnock and by the time Blair took over, it was Tory Party Mark 2

I've not checked but I bet he didn't vote against Foot's anti-EU, unilateral disarmament party many times (if at all)

That might have been difficult as Foot resigned a few days after losing the election in which Corbyn first won his seat!!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Any other Labour MP thinking of joining the traitors will be having second thoughts after yesterday’s shambles . It just shows the Labour Party were better off without them

That’s the best one yet....

Labour Party in a far stronger position today than yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Any other Labour MP thinking of joining the traitors will be having second thoughts after yesterday’s shambles . It just shows the Labour Party were better off without them

Just like government is better off without idealogical fools like you :smile:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Corbyn's Momentum party has been masquerading under the guise of Labour for years. This is just revealing more of its true identity. Derek Hatton being readmitted on the same day is the icing on the cake. The whole system of government left and right is broken maybe a new party formed of people who feel marginalised by the extremes of both Momentum's 'Labour', and the Tories will work. It's time to take it away from activists who infiltrate these parties.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If there was any hunger for centrist policies in the last election, why did the Lib Dems nearly get wiped out?

The answer to your question is literally included in what you quoted... They were wiped out in the 2015 GE because they copped the blame for the Tory austerity policies (amongst other unpopular policies that originated during the coalition government).

They actually recovered a little ground in the 2017 GE, but that recovery was held back by their own severe leadership shortcomings (I can't even remember the blokes name now).

Early polling results from overnight (commissioned by the Daily Mail) suggest that there could be some traction. Whether or not that traction results in a bit of momentum building behind them probably depends a whole lot on whether or not they can lure some Tory defectors to join them (and what happens to the Lib Dems if this new group gets up and running).

The most important thing here, IMO, is that *if* this group can establish itself, I suspect they will have the ability to choose a leader who will actually be the strongest party leader of any of the parties. And that could make a big difference if they can get their numbers high enough. There's a lot still to shake out of this split before we start thinking about that, though.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
When the Labour Party swings left, right-wingers leave. Its (comparativly) easy as a small centre vacuum has appeared that they can jump into before being absorbed into the centrist middle ground. They were always going. What surprises me is that the Labour Party allowed them to choose the time of their departure rather than just kicking them out.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When the Labour Party swings left, right-wingers leave. Its (comparativly) easy as a small centre vacuum has appeared that they can jump into before being absorbed into the centrist middle ground. They were always going. What surprises me is that the Labour Party allowed them to choose the time of their departure rather than just kicking them out.

Kicking them out?

What for?

Daring to speak out against Antisemitism and wanting what the majority of their members want (remain in the EU)?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Kicking them out?

What for?

Daring to speak out against Antisemitism and wanting what the majority of their members want (remain in the EU)?[/QUOTE

]
52605892_1137813659723107_125468617625042944_n.jpg or perhaps we should be listening to the clearly racist Angela Smith.

I can only speak for my CLP (remainers to a man and woman) who voted unanimously against a second referendum. Not one of them in favour, all agree that majority needs to be respected.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Kicking them out?

What for?

Daring to speak out against Antisemitism and wanting what the majority of their members want (remain in the EU)?
View attachment 104744 or perhaps we should be listening to the clearly racist Angela Smith.

I can only speak for my CLP (remainers to a man and woman) who voted unanimously against a second referendum. Not one of them in favour, all agree that majority needs to be respected.

It's entirely possible with these sorts of things that he was telling the truth (as he saw it) when he made that statement, *and* is telling the truth now - having, in the intervening time, become aware of things he wasn't previously aware of.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
It's entirely possible with these sorts of things that he was telling the truth (as he saw it) when he made that statement, *and* is telling the truth now - having, in the intervening time, become aware of things he wasn't previously aware of.

Of course its entirely possible......................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The answer to your question is literally included in what you quoted... They were wiped out in the 2015 GE because they copped the blame for the Tory austerity policies (amongst other unpopular policies that originated during the coalition government).

i dont know why this particular story persist. Liberals got the blame for Tory policy, while the actual Tories won more seats. i dont know what the reasons are, but i know its not that. maybe a large proportion of Liberal voters simply decided there wasnt any point to the Liberals? i think they have had this problem for 100 years, what is their purpose in between the other parties, i dont think they have really made their case very well. any new "centre party" will have the same problem, to define themselves positively in a ground already covered by blue Labour and red Conservatives, what are they going to offer that is different?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
i dont know why this particular story persist. Liberals got the blame for Tory policy, while the actual Tories won more seats. i dont know what the reasons are, but i know its not that. maybe a large proportion of Liberal voters simply decided there wasnt any point to the Liberals? i think they have had this problem for 100 years, what is their purpose in between the other parties, i dont think they have really made their case very well. any new "centre party" will have the same problem, to define themselves positively in a ground already covered by blue Labour and red Conservatives, what are they going to offer that is different?

I think people are fed up with the blue/red ping pong and just want our elected MP's to actually do their jobs and run the bloody country. Maybe a centralist party that already has red/blue in its DNA is going to offer people a more pragmatic choice that is free from left/right squabbles?

The Labour Party and the Lib Dems are almost a wasted vote atm. Bring it on.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This antisemitism thing.. Really??
I'm not sure that it rings true.
I could belive there is plenty of pro palestinian feeling and opposition to some of the more confrontational aspects of the Israeli government.
But that isn't anti-semitism. is it?

Can someone enlighten me as to the nature of this anti-semitism?
Is it full on Mel Gibson type of stuff?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Paul Weller once said" the public gets what the public wants" and he was right.

In or Out, Left or Right. Nothing in between. Good luck with that.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Derek Hatton raising his ugly Scouse head is the very last thing Labour need right now. Field day for the Daily Mail demographic.

I stand to be corrected by evidence that Degsey as he liked to be known owned a small holding and drove a Rolls Royce we are going back to early 2000,s ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

After all, anti semitism from the left and right has really come to prominence in the last couple of years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here