Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think plenty of commentators would say that what Corbyn and co are standing for now is fairly centrist compared to what the left wing of the labour party would have wanted 40 years ago.

But isn't one of the main things at the moment the vicious nature of much of the party faithful - sensible and moderate politicians being threatened with deselection, or just threatened, or bullied and being subjected to vile abuse and so on and so forth. I am aware it goes on around here and it doesn't hit the headlines or necessarily become common knowledge.

Your second para is spot on - once in government the mob will become ever more emboldened, and what might be now viewed as centrist, will inevitably fall by the wayside as the extremist's grip gets ever tighter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
i dont know why this particular story persist. Liberals got the blame for Tory policy, while the actual Tories won more seats. i dont know what the reasons are, but i know its not that. maybe a large proportion of Liberal voters simply decided there wasnt any point to the Liberals? i think they have had this problem for 100 years, what is their purpose in between the other parties, i dont think they have really made their case very well. any new "centre party" will have the same problem, to define themselves positively in a ground already covered by blue Labour and red Conservatives, what are they going to offer that is different?
Not so much wiped out because of the Tory policies, more due to the fact that they got into bed with the tories in the first place. A huge number of Lib Dem votes came in ultra-safe Tory seats where voters realised a vote for Labour was pi$$ing in the wind, and used the chance to vote Lib Dem - or more accurately, to vote anti-Tory, which was the only perceived chance of upsetting a Tory stronghold. Then the alternative-to-the-Tories party got into bed with said Tories. Result - 1). some Lib Dem MPs actually got token jobs in Government (wonderful achievement, highlight of ther political careers, and ambitions (more or less) fulfilled; 2). death of the Lib Dem party as a trusted or viable alternative to anything.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The problem now is that both main parties - but Labour to a far greater extent with Momentum - have become riddled with political purists, obsessed by the means of politics rather than the ends. They are entirely consumed with fighting and winning the the ideological battle within their own parties, rather than seeking political solutions to domestic and international issues that will benefit and advance our society as a whole.

These people are extremisits in every sense who recognise no middle ground, seek no compromise and would rather win the battle and lose the war. Politics will never be perfect but has never been more imperfect and disfunctional than it is now.

The problem now is that both main parties - but Labour to a far greater extent with Momentum - have become riddled with political purists, obsessed by the means of politics rather than the ends. They are entirely consumed with fighting and winning the the ideological battle within their own parties, rather than seeking political solutions to domestic and international issues that will benefit and advance our society as a whole.

These people are extremisits in every sense who recognise no middle ground, seek no compromise and would rather win the battle and lose the war. Politics will never be perfect but has never been more imperfect and disfunctional than it is now.

Well said Mr. N.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...breaking news... another Labour MP, Joan Ryan, quits the party.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This antisemitism thing.. Really??
I'm not sure that it rings true.
I could belive there is plenty of pro palestinian feeling and opposition to some of the more confrontational aspects of the Israeli government.
But that isn't anti-semitism. is it?

Can someone enlighten me as to the nature of this anti-semitism?
Is it full on Mel Gibson type of stuff?

yes it is. sadly

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not so much wiped out because of the Tory policies, more due to the fact that they got into bed with the tories in the first place. A huge number of Lib Dem votes came in ultra-safe Tory seats where voters realised a vote for Labour was pi$$ing in the wind, and used the chance to vote Lib Dem - or more accurately, to vote anti-Tory, which was the only perceived chance of upsetting a Tory stronghold. Then the alternative-to-the-Tories party got into bed with said Tories. Result - 1). some Lib Dem MPs actually got token jobs in Government (wonderful achievement, highlight of ther political careers, and ambitions (more or less) fulfilled; 2). death of the Lib Dem party as a trusted or viable alternative to anything.

Except that the Tories didn't have a majority, it was in the national interest for the Lib Dems to enter into a coalition and in 5 years they put a break on Tory excess.

I don't understand the hatred towards the Lib Dems when ever since they've been removed from the political equation things REALLY started going tits up.

Chuck 50 Lib Dems in the HoC and I guarantee we'll have reached a Parliamentary consensus on the way forward with Brexit.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Another one who lost a vote of confidence

There are potentially up to 100 Labour MPs up for de-selection since Momentum have infiltrated local parties. Like I said, purist ideologues who would rather win the battle and lose the war.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except that the Tories didn't have a majority, it was in the national interest for the Lib Dems to enter into a coalition and in 5 years they put a break on Tory excess.
No, it was in the interest of ambitious Lib Dem politicians. It did nothing particularly worthwhile for the country. They did 'achieve' delaying of the referendum for 5 years - we could have been through Brexit and safely out on the other side and moving forward by now if it hadn't been for the Lib Dems.

Chuck 50 Lib Dems in the HoC and I guarantee we'll have reached a Parliamentary consensus on the way forward with Brexit.
You'd just have had 50 more MPs trying to find ways to wriggle out of Brexit. Consensus with a lot of the politicians already there who hate the idea of implementing the democratic will of the electorate and leaving the EU certainly, but no help to the Brexit process whatever. They certainly wouldn't have helped anything, sorted anything, or been remotely useful.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No, it was in the interest of ambitious Lib Dem politicians. It did nothing particularly worthwhile for the country. They did 'achieve' delaying of the referendum for 5 years - we could have been through Brexit and safely out on the other side and moving forward by now if it hadn't been for the Lib Dems.

You'd just have had 50 more MPs trying to find ways to wriggle out of Brexit. Consensus with a lot of the politicians already there who hate the idea of implementing the democratic will of the electorate and leaving the EU certainly, but no help to the Brexit process whatever. They certainly wouldn't have helped anything, sorted anything, or been remotely useful.

The UK economy was in far better shape in 2015 than 2010. Take your blinkers off and give them some credit. One thing they are entirely free of blame for is the EU Referendum and Brexit shambles.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The UK economy was in far better shape in 2015 than 2010.

Yes, we were recovering from the global crash of 2007-8. Natural cyclical economic ebb and flow. No thanks or cfredit to the Lib Dems (or any other politicians).

One thing they are entirely free of blame for is the EU Referendum and Brexit shambles.
Well, yes, as they're practically non-existent in the current corridors of power; they are not an active or significant part of the current shambles. The Monster Raving Loony party is blame free in much the same way. The Lib Dems did however delay the process; no referendum was part of the deal in 2010 - you can't deny that, no matter how you twist the facts. If it wasn't for them, Brexit could all be done and dusted by now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, we were recovering from the global crash of 2007-8. Natural cyclical economic ebb and flow. No thanks or cfredit to the Lib Dems (or any other politicians).

Well, yes, as they're practically non-existent in the current corridors of power; they are not an active or significant part of the current shambles. The Monster Raving Loony party is blame free in much the same way. The Lib Dems did however delay the process; no referendum was part of the deal in 2010 - you can't deny that, no matter how you twist the facts. If it wasn't for them, Brexit could all be done and dusted by now.

I don't think there's any chance that Brexit would even have been done and dusted as you say. The country has been split on the issue for years and political parties can't work together to achieve consensus. They're hard wired to hate and oppose. But carry on blaming the Lib Dems for all our ills if it makes you feel better.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If Labour are losing MP’s how many potential voters are they losing? Corbyn and the hard left need to leave and perhaps set up their own party, maybe call it Momentum?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can't be long before Rudd, Soubry, Wollaston et al make their move too.

In time for the 10 o'clock news?

#interestingtimes

perhaps in time for PMQs today? probably not Amber Rudd yet, but Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen, and Anna Soubry seem very likely.

With 11 onboard, the 'Independent Group' would have as many MPs at the LibDems :)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
perhaps in time for PMQs today? probably not Amber Rudd yet, but Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen, and Anna Soubry seem very likely.

With 11 onboard, the 'Independent Group' would have as many MPs at the LibDems :)

Announcement at 11am apparently. Ms Soubry and Dr Wollaston have already removed references to the Tory Party from their Twitter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here