Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ashley Barnes

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes but.....that's the old 'if you hadn't spilled my pint I wouldn't have headbutted you' argument. :shrug:

So, the officials started the whole debacle by making a quite ridiculous decision. As someone else has pointed out, officialdom really is dire in this time and moment.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
My take is that this demonstrates what is wrong with the game and I put the blame for that right at the door of the referees and the PGOL. It was of course a poor decision by the ref but they do of course make mistakes. The ref and the lino have then compounded that by not sending off Barnes for his behaviour as that sends a mixed message to footballers about what is and what isn't allowed. If referees exercised the powers they have they could make a significant difference to player behaviour but they don't. The PGOL then pretty much always stand behind a wall of silence.

We all too frequently get football compared to Rugby when it comes to players behaviour and it is cited that rugby players respect officials but I put that down to the powers the referees can take, eg sin bins, moving penalties forward at the first sign of dissent etc.

I would like to see referees starting to book players for dissent like clapping and most certainly sending Barnes of for his reaction. I would also like to see them face the media when they make errors. But I doubt nothing will change.

There was a period when they answered questions by sky after the game but it just turned into a rinsing of their performance. A referee will make at least one mistake every game. I can see why they stopped doing them. The refereeing standard has gone down but I am not surprised, voilence abuse and assault in the lower leagues makes many decent people quit. We have ended up with elephant skinned prima donnas as a result. This kind of behaviour against a decision good or bad doesnt help.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In last week's cup game, Knockaert went up to the East side official and cupped his hands to his face to make a pair of binoculars. None of the officials had caused any controversy in the game.

Officials are only human and will obviously review and discuss these incidents. Both players at some point in the future will be berating their harsh treatment, when a ref reaches for a red card. What goes around comes around.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lucky to stay on the field, at least he didn't trip the ref this time

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
How has he not been sent off there? Poor decision or not on the penalty how does ref and linesman allow/accept that reaction? Should have been off.

I agree with Wenger. “I didn’t see it”.

Barnes gets a pass from me. If he did that in a game against us, I would naturally want him sent off, but against anyone else it’s perfectly acceptable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The game is finished as a sport if Barnes is allowed to literally scream c words in the face of officials like that, with no sanction of any kind, whilst a black bloke gets sent off for a mild bit of sarcastic applause. It is completely indefensible regardless of how bad the referee's mistake was. Racism is alive and flourishing in football and this is 100% directly racist.

Zaha was sent off for a cast iron second yellow. Every ref in the country would have produced that second card.

Barnes ought to have been sent off too. My view is that the genuine ferocity of Barnes’ reaction made the ref realise that he’d probably got the original call wrong, so bottled compounding his own error with further action.

Your attempt to bring race into it is ridiculous and pathetic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Zaha was sent off for a cast iron second yellow. Every ref in the country would have produced that second card.

Barnes ought to have been sent off too. My view is that the genuine ferocity of Barnes’ reaction made the ref realise that he’d probably got the original call wrong, so bottled compounding his own error with further action.

Your attempt to bring race into it is ridiculous and pathetic.

My thoughts exactly, the ref felt he’d blundered and didn’t want to rub salt into the Burnley wound.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nailed on penalty turned down and a totally unjustified yellow card for simulation in a bottom of the table clash, hardly surprising a volatile player goes apeshit. Probably should have got a red (2nd yellow) from a Brighton perspective it may have been best if he did :smile:

Comparisons to serial cheat Zaha are pointless.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Horrible, diving tosser:wanker:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A big part of why we lost yesterday. Just the type of player a battling team needs. i still like him and you just knew he’d be influential and intent on giving Dunk and Duffy torrid games, which he did

Chris Wood however, I really dislike for some reason :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The game is finished as a sport if Barnes is allowed to literally scream c words in the face of officials like that, with no sanction of any kind, whilst a black bloke gets sent off for a mild bit of sarcastic applause. It is completely indefensible regardless of how bad the referee's mistake was. Racism is alive and flourishing in football and this is 100% directly racist.

BS. Why drag racism into it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Loved his pre match interview on screen and him saying that his son is an Albion fan as he was born in Brighton.

Anyone who has ever met Ashley will confirm he’s a nice lad, friendly, humble, a bit shy and just wants to do what’s best for his family’s future so good luck to him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A big part of why we lost yesterday. Just the type of player a battling team needs. i still like him and you just knew he’d be influential and intent on giving Dunk and Duffy torrid games, which he did

Chris Wood however, I really dislike for some reason :shrug:

Very much the same. Never warmed to Woods when we were at Withdean.

However, he has been impressive with his physicality whenever he's come to the Amex. I remember him battering El Abd and by half time yesterday, neither Duffy or Dunk fancied a 50/50 in the air with him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loved his pre match interview on screen and him saying that his son is an Albion fan as he was born in Brighton.

Anyone who has ever met Ashley will confirm he’s a nice lad, friendly, humble, a bit shy and just wants to do what’s best for his family’s future so good luck to him.

Top post.

Which won’t alter the mindset of a bizarrely spiteful bunch of middle aged haters. Weird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here