Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] They Shall Not Grow Old

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
AIF but I searched and couldn't find it...

I'm feeling rather shaken, having just watched "They Shall Not Grow Old" on BBC4.

If you've already seen it you'll understand: if not, the film director Peter Jackson took thousands of hours of WW1 footage, cleaned and colourised it, and cut it in with genuine recordings of WW1 soldiers.

The result is, to me the most extraordinary film I've ever seen.

I imagine that many of the regulars on this site will have had close family members who experienced this war or were lost in it.

The film is a very immediate way to understand a what they suffered and how they endured it, and as a way to honour them I cannot recommend it enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old not sure how long it'll be available - I hope for ever!

I've bought DVD copies to give to my kids and my friends.

Yours faithfully

exKT17

PS My grandfather Matthew Henry Davies OBE (M), DFC - his job was to lie on the floor of a biplane crate, peeking through a spyhole, looking at and recording the battlefields to send military intelligence back to Army Command. He never spoke of it nor ever wore his medals. We only found out on recently discovered diaries. He survived the war but died a few months before I was born. I was named after him.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My apologies - I searched but must have got it wrong - M

Easily done. I remembered the thread because it prompted me to watch it. Thought you might like to read some of the comments on them:)

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I came to this late when Mark Kemode called it as one of his films of the year.

Jaw droppingly good.

Hesitate to say I am "looking forward" to watching it later but pleased to have another opportunity - it is on "catch up" for 28 days. Grateful that, to the best of my knowledge, the names of none of my ancestor's appear on a war memorial.

Grandfather lied about his age to join up at 17 toward the end of the conflict. He must have been aware by then of some of the horrors and I wonder what motivated him to do that.

I had a great uncle who was 16 and died. He was a steward on a troopship that was sunk off Turkey.
My great uncle was also 16 when he was killed on the Western front. Apart from his death, 1 of the worst things was his mates could see him hanging on the wires in no man's land and couldn't do a thing about it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had a great uncle who was 16 and died. He was a steward on a troopship that was sunk off Turkey.

My grandfather was captured in the Aegean......ended up in POW camps in Austria and Germany for years. I’ve been entrusted with all his memorabilia including a handwritten diary of that time, letters from home etc.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
To add to my previous post, I have an 18 year old Son. To think of him going through what those lads his age (and younger) went through choked me up. :down:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I saw it last time it was on but watched it again. Incredible movie.

It was hearing the voices of the kids who signed up at 15,16,17 years old that I found most upsetting. For me, I've always remembered them every home game, when the Albion come out.

SS Royal Edward.

Gosh, never heard of that one but on looking it up it was considerably greater than the sad toll on HMS Hythe. Great grandfather was on that but was one of the lucky ones who survived.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here