Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crossing / shooting around the box

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It feels to me like today was the culmination of something I've been thinking for a while, that we're too ponderous around the box. Several times today there was scope for either wingers or full-backs to cross the ball but took extra touches and lost the chance, or they tried to over-play it when someone having a pop might have been a better option. Is this just me or have we started being a bit less keen on "putting it in the mixer" in these circumstances?

The short corner routines also fall into this.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's the first time this season we have failed to score at home in the league. That is a tremendous stat. It was going to happen before long where we blanked. We played ok but the ball didn't fall for us today. Move on.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That shot by Locadia that went out for a throw in :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The corner routine needs mixing up as well.

The other team get coached too, Duffy spinning round to beyond the far post is all a bit predictable.
It is and still should be used as a great tactic, just not every time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Actually we blanked at home to Liverpool. Still a decent record. Scored against Utd,Chelsea,Spurs and Arsenal.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
It's the first time this season we have failed to score at home in the league. That is a tremendous stat. It was going to happen before long where we blanked. We played ok but the ball didn't fall for us today. Move on.

Watford were woeful and we couldn’t score. We haven’t played well for 90 minutes this season apart from Utd so let’s not kid ourselves and if we carry on we will be in a relegation battle.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Watford were woeful and we couldn’t score. We haven’t played well for 90 minutes this season apart from Utd so let’s not kid ourselves and if we carry on we will be in a relegation battle.

We were excellent against Palace

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It's probably due to the fact that most of the time when our wingers or full backs get into crossing positions we only have one player (Murray or Andone) in the box. Hughton needs to allow the centre midfielders to get further forward.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I thought on a couple of occasions a few players hesitated to shoot at the edge of box as well, then the opportunity was gone, I think Locadia was one of them. Maybe its a lack of confidence or nervousness? Im not too bothered if the odd shot flies over the bar etc just as long as we are shooting.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I didn't see today's game, but Tuesday was the same, and the WBA game a classic, too much dithering and fancying about, if there's no juicy outlet and you have a clear sight of goal, ****ing shoot! Make the keeper work, miss, get the fans going . . . Dithering and losing possession is dire.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's the slowing down, cutting inside and then ball in the air that doesn't find anyone that drives me made. I want someone to get in behind the defence and put the ball in low which may come off anyone and go anywhere that causes mayhem

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's probably due to the fact that most of the time when our wingers or full backs get into crossing positions we only have one player (Murray or Andone) in the box. Hughton needs to allow the centre midfielders to get further forward.

Nailed it.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Nailed it.

Commentators noted a few times how we were great at breaking away with pace on the wings but the final delivery was being wasted as we had no one to meet it. Not sure why we give them ten yards from the off by starting with Murray up front on his tod.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yep. Spot on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I didn't see today's game, but Tuesday was the same, and the WBA game a classic, too much dithering and fancying about, if there's no juicy outlet and you have a clear sight of goal, ****ing shoot! Make the keeper work, miss, get the fans going . . . Dithering and losing possession is dire.

We were much better yesterday and their keeper saved them on at least 3 occasions, including a 1 on 1 with Flozza. As [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] said, move on.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Fair point. Their goalie saved them with some fine work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here