Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crossing / shooting around the box

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The corner routine needs mixing up as well.

The other team get coached too, Duffy spinning round to beyond the far post is all a bit predictable.
It is and still should be used as a great tactic, just not every time.

Agree - said exactly the same myself during the game.

I do think our final ball / crossing frequently let’s us down. I particularly recall the game at West Ham during the first half (before we went 2-0 up) and thinking that we looked a real threat and dangerous every time we broke forward but then our final ball was poor and we failed to trouble their keeper.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought that we were too slow getting players in the box.
Many times the cross was for Murray only.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
20 plus shots in each of the last two home games against Watford and WBA would suggest we’re doing okay. The goals will come. We don’t need to resort to the antiquated and aimless theory of ‘putting it in the mixer’. Save that for non-league.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Commentators noted a few times how we were great at breaking away with pace on the wings but the final delivery was being wasted as we had no one to meet it. Not sure why we give them ten yards from the off by starting with Murray up front on his tod.

the commentators watching it on Goals on Sunday praised the delivery from Gross in particular.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There were a couple of whipped in crosses that were superb and practically unplayable. But overall we seem to make very VERY hard work of getting a clear shot in on goal. Tho much of that is down to PL quality defences, no matter how lowly their clubs league position. Mostly it's the same old thud and blunder in and around the edge of the box.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There were a couple of whipped in crosses that were superb and practically unplayable. But overall we seem to make very VERY hard work of getting a clear shot in on goal. Tho much of that is down to PL quality defences, no matter how lowly their clubs league position. Mostly it's the same old thud and blunder in and around the edge of the box.

In our last 3 games we've had 60 shots. And we had 14 against Liverpool and Man Utd.
Arsenal didn't have single attempt in the 2nd half v Man City yesterday

el punal

It's the first time this season we have failed to score at home in the league. That is a tremendous stat. It was going to happen before long where we blanked. We played ok but the ball didn't fall for us today. Move on.

Quite right. After Tuesday night’s second half debacle I was dreading the match against Watford. Which Albion and which Watford would turn up? Watford didn’t offer much and we, at least, looked solid in defence. We gained a point, and as you said, with a bit of luck could have got three. The important thing is that we didn’t lose - had we our confidence would have been shot to pieces. Onwards and upwards.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's the slowing down, cutting inside and then ball in the air that doesn't find anyone that drives me made. I want someone to get in behind the defence and put the ball in low which may come off anyone and go anywhere that causes mayhem

Like Solly March did multiple times in the 2nd half.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I thought that we were too slow getting players in the box.
Many times the cross was for Murray only.

They were highlighting this on MOTD for the Palace v Fulham match where Mitrovic was the only target to aim for for Fulham. Their midfield was too slow to follow balls into the box, very similar to us. Fulham did score 4 against us (and hit the woodwork 3 Times?) but generally these were long range attempts and goals by Mitrovic. They had their shooting boots well laced in that game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Commentators noted a few times how we were great at breaking away with pace on the wings but the final delivery was being wasted as we had no one to meet it. Not sure why we give them ten yards from the off by starting with Murray up front on his tod.

Again, totally agree. The moment we brought on Andone, their defensive structure totally changed.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
From memory, I counted 5 very good crosses/shots that created excellent chances:
- Propper far post volley from Gross cross
- Locadia strong header in top corner, well saved x2
- Duffy overhead going in far corner, brilliantly scrambled away by Foster
- Andone pace creates 1 on 1, shot well saved

Foster was easily Watford MoM. Their bench mobbed him as he came off the pitch.

More of the same, we'll be fine. Keep the Faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here