Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford: A point gained or two points dropped?

Was Watford a point gained or two points dropped?

• A point gained

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • Two points dropped

Votes: 78 65.0%

• Total voters

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I predicted a draw but think they were there for they taking if we had got our arses out of first gear! 2 points dropped

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
**** me Dave, you’re becoming a grumpy old bugger.
I’m not surprised you’re thinking of giving up your season ticket, you are obviously not enjoying it anymore.

I only go because it's a sociable time at the ground.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Since neither team took the lead, my usual philosophy can't be applied. So I look at the fact they offered nothing going forward, they came for the draw and they got it. We were at home, the talk coming out from the club was about maintaining our fabulous home form, about wanting a positive reaction after the capitulation v Fulham and the dull dull dull drudgery of the West Brom game. It was a frustrating disappointment. So two points dropped.

I also don't get this idea that there was a rot that needed stopping.

Beat Everton at home - decent result
Draw away with West Ham - decent result
Narrow home defeat v Liverpool - decent result, perhaps better than expected given last season's result
Narrow away defeat v Man Utd - decent result especially given their current form
Capitulation v Fulham - awful result, they're adrift at the bottom of the table, we took a two goal lead with a dominating performance and then forgot to come out for the second half.

When two of the three losses were against Man U and Liverpool you're stretching to consider it 'rot'. Really, the only thing that needed a reaction was the Fulham second half. For me, grinding out a frustrating and dull 0-0 draw at home when your opponents show little to no attacking threat is not how you react to conceding 4 away goals in a single half of football, having taken a two goal lead.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Since neither team took the lead, my usual philosophy can't be applied. So I look at the fact they offered nothing going forward, they came for the draw and they got it. We were at home, the talk coming out from the club was about maintaining our fabulous home form, about wanting a positive reaction after the capitulation v Fulham and the dull dull dull drudgery of the West Brom game. It was a frustrating disappointment. So two points dropped.

I also don't get this idea that there was a rot that needed stopping.

Beat Everton at home - decent result
Draw away with West Ham - decent result
Narrow home defeat v Liverpool - decent result, perhaps better than expected given last season's result
Narrow away defeat v Man Utd - decent result especially given their current form
Capitulation v Fulham - awful result, they're adrift at the bottom of the table, we took a two goal lead with a dominating performance and then forgot to come out for the second half.

When two of the three losses were against Man U and Liverpool you're stretching to consider it 'rot'. Really, the only thing that needed a reaction was the Fulham second half. For me, grinding out a frustrating and dull 0-0 draw at home when your opponents show little to no attacking threat is not how you react to conceding 4 away goals in a single half of football, having taken a two goal lead.

Very fair comments, although it certainly felt like we’d stopped the rot to me, just looking for positives as we are reeled in :smile:i

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
With hindsight two dropped, although one point from them would have been reasonable before the start.

Real problem is the capitulation against Fulham who should gave been a walk over.

sleeper_service

Jan 26, 2019
Seven dials
hello NSC, after 10 years of lurking on this site my partner finally persuaded me to sign up. so my first post is thus: i thought Solly March was on fire yesterday, he was exhilarating to watch, taking on full backs round the outside, a glimpse of the player we've hoped he'd become. We should have won, and Burnley is a big game now. Anyway, as it's the first post just wanted to add, i bloody love this community; spent many hours following the most surreal threads. respect to you all

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
On paper, it was the 2nd hardest home game out of 7 remaining. They’ve got a reasonable away record this season (17 from 11 games) so a draw is probably par, so voted point gained. Although with the chances in the last 20, I can understand that it feels like 2 points dropped.

Keeping a clean sheet will be a huge psychological boost though. And the chances created gives reason for confidence against the 5 weaker teams that we have left to play at home.

Edit: We have 6 teams weaker than Watford to play - I forgot we’ve only played Muff the once in the league.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Watford's main aim was to not concede, as was ours. Therefore both teams got what they wanted and therfore a point gained for both teams.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Next six home games Burnley,Huddersfield,Cardiff , Southampton, Bournemouth and Newcastle. Only Bournemouth ahead of us. We have 27 points. How many more needed for safety? My guess nine will be enough. Must be 10 or more points from those six !!

el punal

After Tuesday’s calamitous collapse of soufflé proportions I was fearful of yesterday’s result and performance. The thing that bothered me was if our confidence had taken a major hit. Fortunately, with a glass half full view, we got a point, kept a clean sheet, and the wrong Watford turned up, i.e. they were not a threat. With other results generally going our way, yesterday’s performance was not the disaster it could so easily have been. We move on, hopefully with a more positive outlook than we might have seen.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Next six home games Burnley,Huddersfield,Cardiff , Southampton, Bournemouth and Newcastle. Only Bournemouth ahead of us. We have 27 points. How many more needed for safety? My guess nine will be enough. Must be 10 or more points from those six !!

9 will be plenty, as it’d mean Cardiff would have to gain 15 points from 13 (6 home; 7 away). Sporting Index has a spread of 31.5-33. Our spread is 40-41.5, which I reckon is about right. I can see us winning 4 at home, and law of averages says that we’ll pick up a couple of undeserved points from our 6 aways - I have a good feeling about Palace away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here