Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bong Today

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
They were about 5% better than the rest , hardly outstanding

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more Watford’s display yesterday has to b the worst prem performance yet and the usual few here are getting excited about how well some played . Shows how poor these players really are .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't get all the fuss about him. For many seasons he has shown his capabilities. CH must trust him to do a good job but understands he isn't the complete package, this is why he has signed other Leftbacks to replace him. Interestingly after a run in the side Bong is brought back in as CH knows he does the foundations very well and is reliable. In Bernardo we may have found a gem of a Leftback with plenty of strengths and positives about his game but it doesn't chance the fact that Bong is a decent, composed, disciplined and effective Leftback in the Premier league...and will continue to be a good option until he retires

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Played well, possibly had more of the ball than anyone else

Anyone who doesn’t think that was a tactical ploy by Watford, probably knows little about football. It’s telling that he was given that much of the ball and we didn’t score.

I like Bong when we play a narrow defensive line against good attacking sides as he’s a decent defender one on one and he sticks stringently to his CB so there’s little space to exploit, but the tactical implications of him being our left back yesterday were massive and not in a positive way. The quicker Bernardo is back, the better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone who doesn’t think that was a tactical ploy by Watford, probably knows little about football. It’s telling that he was given that much of the ball and we didn’t score.

Well that’s me told :rolleyes:

Must confess I’m still struggling to understand how Bong having so much of the ball was the reason we couldn’t score though.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't get all the fuss about him. For many seasons he has shown his capabilities. CH must trust him to do a good job but understands he isn't the complete package, this is why he has signed other Leftbacks to replace him. Interestingly after a run in the side Bong is brought back in as CH knows he does the foundations very well and is reliable. In Bernardo we may have found a gem of a Leftback with plenty of strengths and positives about his game but it doesn't chance the fact that Bong is a decent, composed, disciplined and effective Leftback in the Premier league...and will continue to be a good option until he retires

Bong’s back because Bernardo is injured. The difference in the offensive capability of the team with Bernardo in it is massive and if we’re serious about continuing to stay in this league then that personnel change will happen permanently, if it hasn’t already bar injury,

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought he was excellent.

Solid at the back, comfortable on the ball, positive in his passing (and I don't remember him giving the ball away). He also showed a fair bit of flair going forward.

After the dog's abuse he took from some after the Fulham game I think he deserves to be celebrated today.

I imagine the usual suspects will be on soon though, calling him 'an embarrassment of a footballer'.

100% agree.

Even Oliver Kahn, who is sat next to me, found little to criticize him for.

In fact, OK even thought Solly had a good game, so maybe he had a bang on the head.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Well that’s me told :rolleyes:

You can roll your eyes all you want, it’s just common sense. Give as much of the ball to the opposition player who’s worst on the ball - it also makes pressing traps much more effective.. For us, those players are Bong and Duffy. Our left hand side wasn’t really that effective yesterday going forward was it... all of the real chances came from crosses from the right bar the one for March in the first half and it was clear Locadia avoided using Bong on the overlap wherever possible.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can roll your eyes all you want, it’s just common sense. Give as much of the ball to the opposition player who’s worst on the ball - it also makes pressing traps much more effective.. For us, those players are Bong and Duffy. Our left hand side wasn’t really that effective yesterday going forward was it... all of the real chances came from crosses from the right bar the one for March in the first half and it was clear Locadia avoided using Bong on the overlap wherever possible.

So Watford gave the ball to Bong, getting more confused by the minute now.

Bong did absolutely nothing wrong and was very good at moving the ball to team mates but you have somehow managed to scrub what they did or didn’t do with it to try and promote your weird agenda.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Bong did absolutely nothing wrong and was very good at moving the ball to team mates but you have somehow managed to scrub what they did or didn’t do with it to try and promote your weird agenda.
I dont think you can rule out the possibility that he may be right. Bong is possibly the worst crosser of a ball I have seen so it makes sense for the opposition to push our attacks in that direction if they can

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Bong made an interesting comment during his post
match interview on radio Sussex
He said he has a lot more to offer going forward and if fans
think he hasn’t that’s not true.
He has to respect his instructions tactically.
He said he loves and enjoys getting forward and getting crosses into
the box.
He is restricted going forward from the instruction s
from the coaching staff

I heard that and he seem to say that CH puts the brakes on him going forward a lot of the time. For what it is worth, I’m not his biggest fan, but there was nothing to fault about him yesterday.
A bit worrying that CH is telling him not to get forward and he is obvious a little frustrated by this or he wouldn’t have mentioned it! How many of the players are under orders to hold there ground and not venture forward?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

There’s no agenda. He defended perfectly well yesterday, but he’s a big step down offensively from Bernardo.

I don’t know what you’re confused about. If an opposition team comes to the AMEX, their ideal is going to be to set up to allow as much of the ball to go to players in our team who are weakest on it. Bong’s the weakest player on the ball that we have, arguably in our whole squad. So it’s common sense for the opposition to not unnecessarily press him and waste energy as they know he’s unlikely to cause them issues on it, as he proved yesterday despite having plenty of said ball. Furthermore, there were 2 or 3 clear incidents yesterday where Watford didn’t press Bong on the ball, but surrounded the passing options that he had - once he’d made the pass into better players (Bissouma and Propper), they then pressed quickly, causing the ball to turn over. And that’s because they know where to waste their energy and where not to. It’s just common sense.

So no, there’s no agenda, just someone watching the actual football.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Bong’s back because Bernardo is injured. The difference in the offensive capability of the team with Bernardo in it is massive and if we’re serious about continuing to stay in this league then that personnel change will happen permanently, if it hasn’t already bar injury,

Agreed, Bernardo is the better option. But not being as good as Bernardo doesn't mean Bong is awful. He is a decent reliable option to play

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Couldn’t agree more Watford’s display yesterday has to b the worst prem performance yet and the usual few here are getting excited about how well some played . Shows how poor these players really are .

could you not attribute that poor performance of Watford to our players stifling them, controlling play, not giving the ball away in dangerous area etc?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I like Bong when we play a narrow defensive line against good attacking sides as he’s a decent defender one on one and he sticks stringently to his CB so there’s little space to exploit, but the tactical implications of him being our left back yesterday were massive and not in a positive way. The quicker Bernardo is back, the better.

You may be right. But some clown above claims Waftord's performance was the worst we have seen all season. Either they are master tacticians or utter chumps.

My money is on neither. There again I don't think that Trump is an extraterrestrial.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having an opinion IS NOT giving him abuse. I can imagine a fair few on here thought Locadia was dog shit until recently, oh and he can't make a header either... ask Foster.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You are referring to the Watford away game. I identify you as a bot, and submit this as my 'AI' coursework on 'how to spot a bot from the gormless inclusion of egregious nonsense' in an artificial conversation.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
could you not attribute that poor performance of Watford to our players stifling them, controlling play, not giving the ball away in dangerous area etc?

The gap is down to 5 . If the magic number is 36/37 where do you have us getting the remaining 10 points out of interest ?

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I heard that and he seem to say that CH puts the brakes on him going forward a lot of the time. For what it is worth, I’m not his biggest fan, but there was nothing to fault about him yesterday.
A bit worrying that CH is telling him not to get forward and he is obvious a little frustrated by this or he wouldn’t have mentioned it! How many of the players are under orders to hold there ground and not venture forward?
I’m sure there is a few with the same instructions unfortunately

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I guess the question is whether Bernardo is being given different instructions or if he's disobeying orders then because Bernardo has a lot more attacking freedom. Curious.

Regardless that was possibly Bongs best PL game ever coming off the back of probably his worst couple of PL games ever so it was a heck of a turnaround. Honestly though, barring Muzza everyone had a brilliant game IMO, on another day that was finishing 4-0.
Yes my thoughts exactly,I guess it could be a
“That’s handy”type of situation from bong and a “sod that@
approach from Bernado as he seems to get forward a lot more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here