Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Oh My Word! JD Salinger!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
When he died there were rumours that despite not publishing anything for 50 years, he had continued to write. His son is now confirming this as true and saying that the work will be published. If this is true and there are short stories half as good as those in his other collections, this could be very exciting.

A weird one. I didn't read 'Go Set A Watchman' as I was really uncomfortable with the way it was published pretty obviously against Harper Lee's intent, but this feels different. Salinger may not have ever wanted it read, but neither did Kafka and Max Brod knew better and did the world a favour.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...seen-writings-to-be-published-family-confirms

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
When he died there were rumours that despite not publishing anything for 50 years, he had continued to write. His son is now confirming this as true and saying that the work will be published. If this is true and there are short stories half as good as those in his other collections, this could be very exciting.

A weird one. I didn't read 'Go Set A Watchman' as I was really uncomfortable with the way it was published pretty obviously against Harper Lee's intent, but this feels different. Salinger may not have ever wanted it read, but neither did Kafka and Max Brod knew better and did the world a favour.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...seen-writings-to-be-published-family-confirms

His son sounds like a very principled fellow. I've come to JDS very late - remember reading Catcher in the Rye in 6th Form I think, but after catching everyone's favourite Brighton-based comedian Simon Evans reviewing To Esme with Love and Squalor on R4's Books and Authors (it's in podcast form still and an excellent listen), I got that and read it slowly so as not to finish it too quickly. I thought it was amazing. Sounds like though I've got ten years to read his others before the archive is released!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I enjoyed Go Set A Watchman. You’re depriving yourself of some wonderful writing.

I couldn’t bring myself to read it, as To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite book of all time.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
More of a JD Wetherspoon man myself

Have you read his latest work?

image.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ham and Rye by Charles Bukowski is good follow up.

Seriously, have you read Post Office by Charles Bukowski. Enjoyable beatnic stuff by an LA postman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here