Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fibre availability help

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm a bit confused about my fibre availability. Figured there's bound to be some wise person(s) on NSC with some insight on it.

I live up in Queens Park and I've used the Openreach checker dealy (https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre) which is saying fibre is unavailable at my address. Yet other people on my street are able to get it and we're all connected to the Kemptown exchange. A friend of mine lives up past the Hanover, even further from the exchange, and is fibre enabled.

I can't work out how / why properties connected to the same fibre enabled exchange have different fibre availability.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm a bit confused about my fibre availability. Figured there's bound to be some wise person(s) on NSC with some insight on it.

I live up in Queens Park and I've used the Openreach checker dealy (https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre) which is saying fibre is unavailable at my address. Yet other people on my street are able to get it and we're all connected to the Kemptown exchange. A friend of mine lives up past the Hanover, even further from the exchange, and is fibre enabled.

I can't work out how / why properties connected to the same fibre enabled exchange have different fibre availability.

Are all the people who have got it the same side, or are you between them ? It could be that you are fed a different way from houses further down the street and theres no fibre there yet.

Are you fed from a pole or underground ? ISTR most of that area being overhead fed.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

It's not really anything to do with the exchange, it's the cabinet that you are connected to. Give the fibre team a call on 0800 587 4787, but chances are what you see on openreach is the right answer. It is some times wrong though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Are all the people who have got it the same side, or are you between them ? It could be that you are fed a different way from houses further down the street and theres no fibre there yet.

Are you fed from a pole or underground ? ISTR most of that area being overhead fed.

Yeah it does look like my side is the affected side. Doesn't look like we're fed from the cabinet down the street so I guess we're connected directly to the exchange.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The cabinet will not necessarily be directly between you and the exchange. You might not even be off the nearest one of there are two near you.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not really anything to do with the exchange, it's the cabinet that you are connected to. Give the fibre team a call on 0800 587 4787, but chances are what you see on openreach is the right answer. It is some times wrong though.

I missed a bit of info on the checker thing that says it's pending an EO line. Did a Google and apparently it means I'm connected directly to the exchange rather than the cabinet.

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/exchange-only-line-fibre-broadband.html

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I think Bran Flakes are available in most supermarkets. Good luck in your search...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
See, they're saying I can get fibre.

I don't know what to believe; up is down, black is white, we're a strong attacking team with cracking away form.

Found this on Google - different networks?

In the UK, optical fibre isn't available everywhere just yet. In the next few years, though, it should be available to 95% of the country. BT has their own fibre network and broadband, called BT Superfast. ... Virgin Media is not part of Openreach and instead use their own cable network.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Found this on Google - different networks?

In the UK, optical fibre isn't available everywhere just yet. In the next few years, though, it should be available to 95% of the country. BT has their own fibre network and broadband, called BT Superfast. ... Virgin Media is not part of Openreach and instead use their own cable network.

Oh, that's very interesting! Thanks!

I may be able to save money, f**k off Plusnet and get decent internet in one fell swoop!

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I'm not an expert but I've had Virgin at a couple of addresses. Have you got a little black circle cap about 5cm wide outside your front gate in the street on the pavement. Most addresses where Virgin cable have these and it's where they feed the cable from into the house.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not an expert but I've had Virgin at a couple of addresses. Have you got a little black circle cap about 5cm wide outside your front gate in the street on the pavement. Most addresses where Virgin cable have these and it's where they feed the cable from into the house.

I shall check that when I get home, thanks.

I'm in a basement flat which might be a problem.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Aaron31

Dec 31, 2015
Try buying some bran flakes. They'll help get things moving. I'm able to go every morning and more! All hail bran flakes.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I shall check that when I get home, thanks.

I'm in a basement flat which might be a problem.

I think you might be me, 6 months ago?

I was on Plusnet, wanted Fibre. The capacity was full in my area through BT. Virgin came round for a free viewing thing, and said it would be easy. I'm in a basement flat. All fine and easy through Virgin (though it did help that someone in my building already had it, so they didn't have to rip up the street to plug it in)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
See, they're saying I can get fibre.

I don't know what to believe; up is down, black is white, we're a strong attacking team with cracking away form.

I would trust Virgin (they're by far the best high-speed supplier and you don't need to pay for phone line hire with them) and check your views on the Albion's form.

If they say you can get fibre, they will be able to supply you with fibre

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I would trust Virgin (they're by far the best high-speed supplier and you don't need to pay for phone line hire with them) and check your views on the Albion's form.

If they say you can get fibre, they will be able to supply you with fibre

Marvellous!

Thanks everyone, another shining example of NSC being brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here