Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Snow Matches

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As for the game, we fluked a two all draw in shocking conditions, before going on to beat them in replay on actual grass.

My recollection is that there was a load of snow at our place for the replay as well. It was certainly piled up around the pitch, but I think the pitch itself was far from clear. My minds eye sees Dean Saunders stabbing home the winner on a snow covered Goldstone pitch, but maybe that's just how the memory plays tricks because I remember how cold and snowy it still was the night of that replay.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Still think of Peterborough away every time I see an orange ball.

What felt like days travelling on the coach only to be held back in a convoy on outside of town. Snowball fight with the cops. Finally get to London rd to be packed in like sardines behind the goal.

F##ing freezing, horrible, dump of a ground, terrible food, shocking facilities that made the Goldstone look civilised. Only thing keeping us warm was the army of people pissing down the bottom of the terrace as too hard to make it to the tiny cowshed masquarading as a toilet up the top.

As for the game, we fluked a two all draw in shocking conditions, before going on to beat them in replay on actual grass.

So yeah, proper bloody football -non of this premier league padded seats rubbish.:tantrum:
Fashnau and Biley upfront looking like Bambi on ice all game

We had a great night out in Northampton afterwards though

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I remember a game on a cold Friday night in December either 09 or 10 whilst we were at Withdean. I drove home from Hastings which took almost 2 hours in those conditions having left work early and I parked the car only to hear it announced on the radio that the match was called off.

December 17 2010 against Notts County. I was visiting for Christmas and staying at my sister's place in Eastbourne. Had literally just set off in the car with my brother-in-law, niece and nephew when we heard it had been called off.

I recall that one, as I had driven down to pick up my son from Bristol Uni for the Christmas break, we got to the services at Reading and a blizzard started, took us 4 hours from Reading to reach Brighton, with the clock clicking closer and close to kick off time. Then the postponement was announced on the radio, followed by a big cheer from within the car, as we headed straight home

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
3rd round F A Cup away at Norwich. Got all the way up to Norwich and, first of all it started snowing then the floodlights failed so the game got called off. I know we lost the rearranged match and I didn't take advantage of Norwich City's kind offer to attend the rearranged mid week fixture. Early 2000s
I remember the Peterborough match too when great play was made by the Albion's marketing arm that we'd be playing in red so buy your red scarf. That was when we had Fashanu playing for us and he'd never been good on a snowy or frosty pitch

I remember a comment about Fashanu that day which still amuses me “ “**** me Fashanu looks like Bambi on Ice”

Edit, just seen I was beaten to the punch by [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION]

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Still think of Peterborough away every time I see an orange ball.

What felt like days travelling on the coach only to be held back in a convoy on outside of town. Snowball fight with the cops. Finally get to London rd to be packed in like sardines behind the goal.

F##ing freezing, horrible, dump of a ground, terrible food, shocking facilities that made the Goldstone look civilised. Only thing keeping us warm was the army of people pissing down the bottom of the terrace as too hard to make it to the tiny cowshed masquarading as a toilet up the top.

So yeah, proper bloody football -non of this premier league padded seats rubbish.:tantrum:

Had a little jog around the town centre to keep warm after though! :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I went to that one and thought it was just rain, or do you mean this season's game?

No, last season:

ots.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm confused now because I only went to the league game, and don't remember snow, whereas my husband went to both and said it was snowing hard in the FA cup game. It doesn't really matter much either way.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My recollection is that there was a load of snow at our place for the replay as well. It was certainly piled up around the pitch, but I think the pitch itself was far from clear. My minds eye sees Dean Saunders stabbing home the winner on a snow covered Goldstone pitch, but maybe that's just how the memory plays tricks because I remember how cold and snowy it still was the night of that replay.

To add further to this iirc they asked us fans to head down to the Goldstone with shovels and help clear the pitch?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Fashnau and Biley upfront looking like Bambi on ice all game

We had a great night out in Northampton afterwards though

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Wasn't that Fashanu's last game for us? IIRC he injured his knee in that game and was never the same again, maybe even had to retire from playing altogether?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
So with the snow falling heavily my mind started wandering to matches the Albion have played in the snow.

Two immediately spring to mind:

The away FA Cup tie at Peterborough and the First Division away win at Wolverhampton.

Any others that others recall?

Was at the Wolverhampton won,Wardy hat-trick,great night,I think we was bottom of the league at the time

When they opened the gates just before the end, a lot of Wolves just walked in to the away end,taking pot shots at a few Brighton fans

Another I remember at the goldstone was a cup game against Hull City
Gerry Ryan got the winner with an orange ball
I think that was the coldest I've ever been at the football

boik

Was at the Wolverhampton won,Wardy hat-trick,great night,I think we was bottom of the league at the time

When they opened the gates just before the end, a lot of Wolves just walked in to the away end,taking pot shots at a few Brighton fans

Another I remember at the goldstone was a cup game against Hull City
Gerry Ryan got the winner with an orange ball
I think that was the coldest I've ever been at the football

England v Cameroon 1991 was the coldest I've ever been. -12 ! Couldn't eat my Mars bar as it was frozen solid.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

Same recollection here and you're right, Saunders did score with about a quarter of an hour to go. Either that, or MY memory is playing silly b*ggers too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here