Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Snow Matches

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So with the snow falling heavily my mind started wandering to matches the Albion have played in the snow.

Two immediately spring to mind:

The away FA Cup tie at Peterborough and the First Division away win at Wolverhampton.

Any others that others recall?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Half time at Cambridge. Players were amazed when they came out second half to find pitch covered in snow. Ref had to change the ball to orange.
Newcastle away in 86, earlier in same cup run as the Peterborough game. More ice than snow.
Then Palace at home in 1963, during the big freeze. Cue the usual photos.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The Cambridge one and a trip to Huddersfield where every other game seemed to be off but the Tykes fans did a grand job of clearing the snow so we could win 3-1. Pretty sure I had a trip to Wigan trying to find shelter in that open bank away end.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
So with the snow falling heavily my mind started wandering to matches the Albion have played in the snow.

Two immediately spring to mind:

The away FA Cup tie at Peterborough and the First Division away win at Wolverhampton.

Any others that others recall?

Still think of Peterborough away every time I see an orange ball.

What felt like days travelling on the coach only to be held back in a convoy on outside of town. Snowball fight with the cops. Finally get to London rd to be packed in like sardines behind the goal.

F##ing freezing, horrible, dump of a ground, terrible food, shocking facilities that made the Goldstone look civilised. Only thing keeping us warm was the army of people pissing down the bottom of the terrace as too hard to make it to the tiny cowshed masquarading as a toilet up the top.

As for the game, we fluked a two all draw in shocking conditions, before going on to beat them in replay on actual grass.

So yeah, proper bloody football -non of this premier league padded seats rubbish.:tantrum:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I remember a game on a cold Friday night in December either 09 or 10 whilst we were at Withdean. I drove home from Hastings which took almost 2 hours in those conditions having left work early and I parked the car only to hear it announced on the radio that the match was called off.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I remember a game on a cold Friday night in December either 09 or 10 whilst we were at Withdean. I drove home from Hastings which took almost 2 hours in those conditions having left work early and I parked the car only to hear it announced on the radio that the match was called off.

December 17 2010 against Notts County. I was visiting for Christmas and staying at my sister's place in Eastbourne. Had literally just set off in the car with my brother-in-law, niece and nephew when we heard it had been called off.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Peterborough was one of my favourite away days ever.
Also remember Sheffield united away in the cup in about 87? 0-0 and never been as cold at a game.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I remember at Leeds Road ground the little terriers throwing snow balls at us as they left the ground early having been beaten but cannot remember what the state of the pitch was...

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Many moons ago we played at Swindon Town, I can remember we were loosing and the game was abandoned at half time. That’s all I can remember about it as I was a nipper at the time.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I remember clearing snow off the goldstone pitch one year, can’t remember what game it was though, I’ve got a feeling it was in the chewits kit era.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
3rd round F A Cup away at Norwich. Got all the way up to Norwich and, first of all it started snowing then the floodlights failed so the game got called off. I know we lost the rearranged match and I didn't take advantage of Norwich City's kind offer to attend the rearranged mid week fixture. Early 2000s
I remember the Peterborough match too when great play was made by the Albion's marketing arm that we'd be playing in red so buy your red scarf. That was when we had Fashanu playing for us and he'd never been good on a snowy or frosty pitch

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Health and safety bollocks has put paid to that now.

Classic overkill is children are not allowed to go out and play at playtime in the snow for fear they fall over or hurt themselves. Throwing snowballs is not allowed as some parent said that their little darling cried when a snowball was thrown at him.( it was probably the teacher who threw it as revenge for the child being a Little shit)

Didn't the albion cancel a game at withdean as the walkways were deemed to be to slippery as we all don't understand how to walk in slippery conditions.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Cambridge one and a trip to Huddersfield where every other game seemed to be off but the Tykes fans did a grand job of clearing the snow so we could win 3-1. Pretty sure I had a trip to Wigan trying to find shelter in that open bank away end.
Think that was the game Crumplin scored with his hand. Wasn't it more hail than snow? I seem to remember listening to the Grand National on the radio whilst freezing to death so may well have been April. Going to have to look it up now.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Think that was the game Crumplin scored with his hand. Wasn't it more hail than snow? I seem to remember listening to the Grand National on the radio whilst freezing to death so may well have been April. Going to have to look it up now.
Well, we lost 2-1 on the day of the Grand National in 1994 so that must be the one I am thinking of.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Last year at Old Trafford, FA cup game, it was snowing heavily throughout the 90 minutes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here