Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion sign Jan Mlakar

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
18:43
'I still can't believe it'

Brighton & Hove Albion

New Brighton signing Jan Mlakar: "Everything here is incredible. I don’t think I can count all the pitches! I still can’t believe that I’ve signed for such a good club.

"I will need to take a few days for it to sink in.”

" .......:don't worry mate, you are being shipped out to Eastbourne borough for the rest of the season...."

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
" .......:don't worry mate, you are being shipped out to Eastbourne borough for the rest of the season...."

Whilst I do bore of the "Under 23 black hole" joke, which is trotted out literally every time anyone mentions our academy, there is something amusing about this.

Prime example is Ales Mateju, who was playing Europa League football with Viktoria Plzen before joining us. One year later he was starring in the Sussex Senior Cup against Haywards Heath Town.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Difficult to know what quality to expect from Mlakar, but Maribor is by far the best club in Slovenia (doesn't mean a lot perhaps), and he is their top scorer at age 20, with a scoring rate of better than 1 in 2 and one goal off top scorer in the league. Hopefully we can see him push onwards over the rest of the season and when he returns to Sussex in the summer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whilst I do bore of the "Under 23 black hole" joke, which is trotted out literally every time anyone mentions our academy, there is something amusing about this.

Prime example is Ales Mateju, who was playing Europa League football with Viktoria Plzen before joining us. One year later he was starring in the Sussex Senior Cup against Haywards Heath Town.

Before we sold him for a chunky profit:thumbsup:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

This policy is no different from Chelsea, Man United, Man City, Liverpool. They all have 40 or 50 of young lads from around the world playing at levels 16s to 23s who will disappear without ever touching the first team. People on here just notice it more because it gets reported locally when they arrive or we go looking to find it.

The other clubs above probably have a ''merry go round'' of youngsters five times as big as what Brighton's is - This is just a fact of life that the wealth in the PL allows PL clubs to do this and when there are that many its no wonder most don't make it because they really have to be the best of their group to do so

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m not even underwhelmed. What’s less than that? Deeply beyond Whelmed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
This policy is no different from Chelsea, Man United, Man City, Liverpool. They all have 40 or 50 of young lads from around the world playing at levels 16s to 23s who will disappear without ever touching the first team. People on here just notice it more because it gets reported locally when they arrive or we go looking to find it.

The other clubs above probably have a ''merry go round'' of youngsters five times as big as what Brighton's is - This is just a fact of life that the wealth in the PL allows PL clubs to do this and when there are that many its no wonder most don't make it because they really have to be the best of their group to do so

Not sure why you've responded this to me rather than one of the "Lancing black hole" brigade.

Yes it comes with the territory, but it's still a bit odd and occasionally amusing.

But, and I don't remember where I read this statistic so I may be wrong, we have more players out on loan at the moment than any other English club, except Chelsea.

People say "we're developing a conveyor belt of talent like Chelsea", well, we're already there, the profits just haven't arrived yet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure why you've responded this to me rather than one of the "Lancing black hole" brigade.

Yes it comes with the territory, but it's still a bit odd and occasionally amusing.

But, and I don't remember where I read this statistic so I may be wrong, we have more players out on loan at the moment than any other English club, except Chelsea.

People say "we're developing a conveyor belt of talent like Chelsea", well, we're already there, the profits just haven't arrived yet.

Throw enough shit at the wall.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
I get this sign in winter and loan back till summer strategy. Gives the lads time to “exit” and tie up lose ends etc. Nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here