Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Waitrose free coffee scandal

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The comments are supurb as always, one describing him as a prissy bedwetter [emoji23] Others saying now he no longer shops there they might start

I've never seen so many level headed, sensible comments in the Argus comments section. It's usually hard to find just one but I found myself agreeing with most of them. Scary.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have a Waitrose near where I work, I try to avoid it at all costs unless I need some special ingredients for something. Almost without exception the customers are elderly morons or middle aged women who's only interaction with other humans comes at a till in Waitrose, and, they make the most of it.

Its genuinely heartbreaking watching my life slip away while they watch each item scanned through. Eventually they are faced with the harsh reality of A, payment and B, putting their groceries away. This causes a moment of incredible inner conflict as they try to pack and find their Waitrose/bank card at the same time. This is never an easy process as usually they find some vague 5p off coupon that they are desperate to redeem within their panic while trying to get their free coffee sorted too.

Almost always, a Waitrose customer after a coffee is an embarrassment to society, my personal best was to be stuck behind a saddo who bought just a can of Waitrose Basics Vegetable Soup, 27p as I recall, in order to get his free coffee... and even then the dick paid with a debit card !

I spent a summer working in Tesco when I was 19. I was stacking shelves (which was actually a bit of a laugh) but sometimes I'd get called up to cover checkouts. I'd see a middle-aged or elderly woman join my queue and it would fill me with terror. I knew I was going to be subjected to a very one-sided conversation and have to make all the right noises when it was apparently my turn to speak. The worst ones would carefully monitor me scanning things through, desperate to question a special offer which wasn't picked up by the computer. It was always MY fault if the offer got missed.

It didn't take me too long to develop a tactic of conveniently needing to leave the shop floor to take a dump whenever the announcement was made for checkout cover.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I have a Waitrose near where I work, I try to avoid it at all costs unless I need some special ingredients for something. Almost without exception the customers are elderly morons or middle aged women who's only interaction with other humans comes at a till in Waitrose, and, they make the most of it.

Its genuinely heartbreaking watching my life slip away while they watch each item scanned through. Eventually they are faced with the harsh reality of A, payment and B, putting their groceries away. This causes a moment of incredible inner conflict as they try to pack and find their Waitrose/bank card at the same time. This is never an easy process as usually they find some vague 5p off coupon that they are desperate to redeem within their panic while trying to get their free coffee sorted too.

Almost always, a Waitrose customer after a coffee is an embarrassment to society, my personal best was to be stuck behind a saddo
who bought just a can of Waitrose Basics Vegetable Soup, 27p as I recall, in order to get his free coffee... and even then the dick paid with a debit card !

You've obviously never been on your uppers otherwise you might have a little bit more sympathy.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
This has been happening for years, people allegedly taking advantage of this coffee loop hole.
Waitrose have only themselves to blame.
At our local outlet, the customer service desk is situated right at the entrance, with the coffee machine on the counter.
This attracts queues for the coffee machine free/paid, which starts to get in the way of other NORMAL shoppers, who complain of the queue.
Bearing in mind the age of the coffee snowflakes in Ruislip, borders of the Jurassic period.

I know that Waitrose. By the tube station - right? Unfriendly staff I remember.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
About 20 years ago he was the first person I ever banned from Virgin megastore. Theft by deception. Swapping price stickers in the Jazz department if I recall correctly.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
About 20 years ago he was the first person I ever banned from Virgin megastore. Theft by deception. Swapping price stickers in the Jazz department if I recall correctly.

who?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My local shop is Waitrose, I live less than 5 mins walk away.

Although I do feel sometimes I have entered the mind of a Daily Mail reader, it's definitely the most stress free supermarket on the high street.

I quite like the way they have taken the scales away from the auto check outs.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The Waitrose shoppers I can't stand are the ones who walk around doing their shopping while sipping their free coffee. They carry it around as if it's some sort of status symbol. I'm not sure what sort of status they think they project brandishing something that cost f##k all.
Come to think of it I haven't seen it done for a while so I'm wondering if the practice has been banned for health and safety reasons. It used to be a regular sight when the free coffee was first introduced at my local.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bit disappointed in this thread, was expecting at least 2-3 bods on here defending the pr1ck but unusually it seems NSC is as 1 !

I think they should have taken a Paul Barber approach and banned the **** BEFORE he came out and said that he wasn’t shopping there anymore. That would have been much more satisfying :smile:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He was known as “Jazz Hands” in the security circle at the time because he was so quick at swapping price stickers in the Jazz section.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here