Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 32% posession and thy win 4-0

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With all 4 goals in the second half. Bournmouth. Inflicting Chelski's biggest league defeat in 23 years.

Funny old game.

I suggest the post Fulham betwetters need to give their heads a wobble.

And ...... I'm actually feeling a bit more cheerful, now.

:O:O:O:O:sheep::rave:

Edit: my eeeees are ****d on this laptop. Apologis

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just watching Spuds now on MOTD. **** me, Lllorienty is pony. Bloody hell. If we were ever in for him we dodged a hail of bullets :cheery:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We had similar stats at half time last night at 0-2. When it went wrong NSC were wondering why we couldn't hold on to the ball 2nd half.

Funny old game:(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just watching Spuds now on MOTD. **** me, Lllorienty is pony. Bloody hell. If we were ever in for him we dodged a hail of bullets :cheery:

We weren't, it was Jansen we went in for (at a scary £27m) in the desperate last knockings of the 2017 summer transfer window. Thats another one I was happy to miss out on.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
We had similar stats at half time last night at 0-2. When it went wrong NSC were wondering why we couldn't hold on to the ball 2nd half.

Funny old game:(

And there lies the key to our problem, not holding on to the ball.

I have rarely seen a side that treats possession of the ball so cheaply like we do. Retaining the ball is just a passing fancy for our players, we just boot it hopefully upfield or make long passes out wide or backwards when it would be preferable to travel with the ball upfield at feet and take on the opposition players. You should then have your own players closely around helping to create more passing choices.
Where are our creative midfield players who dribble with the ball at their feet and are able take on the opposition before laying off the killer pass? It happens all to infrequently.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Possession stats are a complete and utter FALLACY. Like if you have 65% you should win the game easily, but if you're in the 30's and won, you've fluked it somehow. Thats bobbins.

The best teams - the effective teams - HURT the opposition when they have the ball. Any old bunch of gimps can hold onto the ball with a series of 10-15 yard passes in and around the halfway line, whilst actually creating the square route of F-ALL. Christ, we've been guilty of it ourselves often enough.

Any team that points at "superior" possession stats on the arse end of a defeat can DO one. Fine. You had more of the ball - but you were just utter SHITHOUSE at using it.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Possession stats are a complete and utter FALLACY. Like if you have 65% you should win the game easily, but if you're in the 30's and won, you've fluked it somehow. Thats bobbins.

The best teams - the effective teams - HURT the opposition when they have the ball. Any old bunch of gimps can hold onto the ball with a series of 10-15 yard passes in and around the halfway line, whilst actually creating the square route of F-ALL. Christ, we've been guilty of it ourselves often enough.

Any team that points at "superior" possession stats on the arse end of a defeat can DO one. Fine. You had more of the ball - but you were just utter SHITHOUSE at using it.

The percentage manual of football classes possession as a defensive tactic. I reckon it is the best form of defence though.

Passing to players on the same side is a good idea.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Quite right. Leicester won the title with possession stats frequently in the 30's

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just seen the highlights. Fair play to Bournemouth - rapid, one-touch attacking fluidity, the kind of which we can only dream.

But it's taken them time. I wouldn't say it's what we can only dream of, but it's what the club should be aiming for. At the moment, it will still be an achievement to stay in the league. Bloom is a fan of building things slowly - keep the faith and all that...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

....and if you’re 2-0 up at half time you can HURT the opposition by keeping possession.

It’s not a fallacy. It’s exactly what it is. And it’s up to you how you interpret it. Like all single point stats, they’re meaningless without context. But. Ball retention is a part of the game and I’d rather be able to retain the ball than not. Why wouldn’t you?

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Possession in opponents half would be interesting

The rest is insignificant, apart the goals scored of course

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But it's taken them time. I wouldn't say it's what we can only dream of, but it's what the club should be aiming for. At the moment, it will still be an achievement to stay in the league. Bloom is a fan of building things slowly - keep the faith and all that...

I know it is fairy tale land, but I would love to see what Eddie would do with our team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here