Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To those questioning our tactics

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Throughout this season i’ve constantly read comments from people slating Chris Hughton’s tactics suggesting that when we go in front we sit back and defend to try and protect a lead, which frequently costs us. The debacle of last night has to be a new low point for this season and I’m now fed up reading these same comments about Hughton’s tactics. There is absolutely no way he is instructing his team to sit back and defend and I wish people would wake up and recognise the real problem.

In simple terms, our big weakness this season, which shines through in our away form is that we are simply not good enough at retaining possession and protecting the ball. Last night this was more blatantly obvious than ever. We take 2 glorious chances and go into a 2-0 lead but at half time I never felt comfortable and that was because we still conceded far too much possession to Fulham in the first half. This continued in the second and their early goal gave them them the lift they needed. If you give opposing teams the ball so cheaply and allow them to dominate possession like Fulham did last night then naturally any team is going to create a lot of goal scoring opportunities. When this happens it forces us back and we find ourselves defending for our lives and all too often we find ourselves singing the praises of Ryan, Dunk and Duffy because they have been outstanding at putting their bodies on the line to protect our goal - but last night was the straw that broke the camels back and even they caved in. We didn’t change our tactics to sit back and defend - we were pegged back because we failed to keep the ball long enough and allowed Fulham to dominate possession. This has been the theme in the many away games I’ve been to and it’s even been apparent in home games too (West Ham & Wolves immediately spring to mind where we cling on to a 1-0 lead).

Most notably in away games we seem to frequently lack composure on the ball, it’s almost as if we get a bit overawed and we panic at times and give the ball away far too easily. This is why our away form is so poor. We end up being dominated by the opposition for large periods of the game and they create a lot of chances as a result. When we go in front in a game this is usually because we’ve taken a good opportunity to score but this can often mask the fact that we’ve still not been great in keeping possession and when we find ourselves under the cosh people think we’ve sat back.

So people need to stop suggesting this is a tactical approach - CH has a far bigger job on his hands trying to coach our team to be better in possession, learn how to keep the ball and take the sting out of the game when needed. Sometimes we can appear lazy when I see a player in possession and he has very few options to make a pass because there is so little movement from more than one player trying to make themselves available to receive the ball, and other times you see a forward make a great run and yet the player on the ball fails to spot an early pass and then gets caught in possession.

In short, we do not sit back and defend a lead, we invite pressure on ourselves because we can’t retain possession for long enough.

Rant over - I feel better now !

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Throughout this season i’ve constantly read comments from people slating Chris Hughton’s tactics suggesting that when we go in front we sit back and defend to try and protect a lead, which frequently costs us. The debacle of last night has to be a new low point for this season and I’m now fed up reading these same comments about Hughton’s tactics. There is absolutely no way he is instructing his team to sit back and defend and I wish people would wake up and recognise the real problem.

In simple terms, our big weakness this season, which shines through in our away form is that we are simply not good enough at retaining possession and protecting the ball. Last night this was more blatantly obvious than ever. We take 2 glorious chances and go into a 2-0 lead but at half time I never felt comfortable and that was because we still conceded far too much possession to Fulham in the first half. This continued in the second and their early goal gave them them the lift they needed. If you give opposing teams the ball so cheaply and allow them to dominate possession like Fulham did last night then naturally any team is going to create a lot of goal scoring opportunities. When this happens it forces us back and we find ourselves defending for our lives and all too often we find ourselves singing the praises of Ryan, Dunk and Duffy because they have been outstanding at putting their bodies on the line to protect our goal - but last night was the straw that broke the camels back and even they caved in. We didn’t change our tactics to sit back and defend - we were pegged back because we failed to keep the ball long enough and allowed Fulham to dominate possession. This has been the theme in the many away games I’ve been to and it’s even been apparent in home games too (West Ham & Wolves immediately spring to mind where we cling on to a 1-0 lead).

Most notably in away games we seem to frequently lack composure on the ball, it’s almost as if we get a bit overawed and we panic at times and give the ball away far too easily. This is why our away form is so poor. We end up being dominated by the opposition for large periods of the game and they create a lot of chances as a result. When we go in front in a game this is usually because we’ve taken a good opportunity to score but this can often mask the fact that we’ve still not been great in keeping possession and when we find ourselves under the cosh people think we’ve sat back.

So people need to stop suggesting this is a tactical approach - CH has a far bigger job on his hands trying to coach our team to be better in possession, learn how to keep the ball and take the sting out of the game when needed. Sometimes we can appear lazy when I see a player in possession and he has very few options to make a pass because there is so little movement from more than one player trying to make themselves available to receive the ball, and other times you see a forward make a great run and yet the player on the ball fails to spot an early pass and then gets caught in possession.

In short, we do not sit back and defend a lead, we invite pressure on ourselves because we can’t retain possession for long enough.

Well said.......now dive for cover

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Begs the questions: What do they do every day at Lancing? What are the coaches doing to improve the players?

Genuine questions by the way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Top rant. Well said.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I'm actually amazed to read a decent post, that has no swear words, not even being substituted by @#*!?.
Well done to you :thumbsup:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Begs the questions: What do they do every day at Lancing? What are the coaches doing to improve the players?

Genuine questions by the way.

It’s a fair question - you’d like to think it’s being addressed but I think it may be a difficult one to overcome if it’s down to the mentality and composure of individuals. Propper is probably the stand out player for me in our squad that does have that composure and rarely gives the ball away cheaply, but he’s played at a high level (Champions League) and it shows.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It’s a fair question - you’d like to think it’s being addressed but I think it may be a difficult one to overcome if it’s down to the mentality and composure of individuals. Propper is probably the stand out player for me in our squad that does have that composure and rarely gives the ball away cheaply, but he’s played at a high level (Champions League) and it shows.

Mr Propper is the kind of player we need to keep hold of.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Couldn't agree more - that is definitely one of our biggest problems. It's not too bad when teams don't press us, as we do at least get a little time to knock it about at the back - but as soon as teams start pressurising us, we are so apt to give it away. What puzzled me last night was why our defence was so bad as a unit, not just individuals. Was it that Ryan wasn't organising them as much, or were they just having a collective off-day? After all, we've withstood better attacking play more effectively on very many occasions - so why did we / do we panic in the way you've eloquently described?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Mr Propper is the kind of player we need to keep hold of.

Indeed, we need more like him, but in fairness we’re still in that embryonic stage of building a proper (excuse the pun !) Premier League squad when you think that so many of our regular starters were with us in the Championship and are not quite at that next level when it comes to use of the ball and movement without the ball.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The difference last night was down to 1 man Mitrovic who puts the fear into Duffy and Dunk and they cannot handle him and his aggression.

I would argue that the difference last night was Seri who run the show in midfield. Mitrovic is only as good as the service he’s given and everything Fulham created came through Seri.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I maintain we've got a solid defence (Fulham aside..) and I agree that movement off the ball is an issue, especially in the later stages of a game.

Are the players not fit enough to keep up the intensity of the PL for a full 90 minutes? Do they just stop being arsed? Are they not being coached into this mentality? Who knows.. I don't.

If you look at the successful teams in the PL, they all move around trying to be the recipient of a pass rather than just waiting for the player with the ball to run into a position where it can be passed to them.

patalan48

Mar 5, 2017
This is an excellent post detailing the problems of retaining possession and protecting the ball. I think that Chris Hughton has rightly gained a reputation as a great manager of players but I am less sure of his flexibility and willingness to coach players to retain possession and change tactics as required. This lack of flexibility is best illustrated by few tactical changes in like for like substitutions and his choice of Assistant Manager and First Team Coach, both of whom worked with him at Norwich. Have they or will they they be allowed to institute the necessary changes or was compliance a prerequisite for their appointment?.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX

Some good points but an old saying springs to mind, Rome wasn't built in a day, but CH has had 1 and a half seasons to sort out most of those problems and we still see the same tactics used. Players have been added to the squad at a cost but the tactics and the performances home and away have not changed much, we've even dropped points v teams we beat or drawn against at the Amex. That run of narrow wins earlier in the season is masking afew problems and have no doubt lose the next 2 home games and we are trouble. The defense has been our strong point but if it starts to break what's plan B?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here