Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion have issued lifetime bans to [three] supporters...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I’m singing from the same hymn sheet as you all the way with this. :smile:

Alcohol is absolutely no excuse or mitigating factor IMO, it’s just my educated guess that these bullies were emboldened with booze. Football fans get pissed before/during matches, with 95% able to handle it, not turning into a cowardly thug.

I'm one of the 95%, its the blithering football I can't handle. ???

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Whilst I’m not one of the ‘usual’ suspects some of this has made me feel uneasy, largely down to the lack of detail. So I’m going to play devils advocate.

Female doctor attending someone and attacked by them. The worse case is someone in their 20’s who’s had to much to drink spitting at/hitting a doctor. But it could also be the person in their 50’s who has had a tumble and has pushed away a doctor trying to help him due to embarrassment. There’s such a wide spectrum that could be covered by how it’s worded and that’s why it makes me a little uncomfortable.

My Granddad suffered from dementia and whilst in hospital woke up to two nurses speaking Thai. Confused and in unfamiliar surroundings he panicked and ended up twatting one of the nurses with his walking stick, hurting her pretty seriously. On the outside that’s a bloke assaulting a female nurse. But with context it’s much easier to understand why it happened. A vulnerable man woke up and his fight or flight instincts took over. He was a Brighton season ticket and away game regular for 40+ years, he still went right up until he was hospitalised. If he’d had a turn at a Brighton game... :shrug:

Threatening to stab a steward? Fair enough, lifetime ban.
Attacking innocent away fans? Yet again, perfectly acceptable to be given a ban.
Assaulting a doctor? You literally can’t tell if it’s a fair punishment or not unless you saw the entire incident.

A bit like when it was reported Palace fans had attacked emergency workers at Falmer station, but then it turned out one of them pushed a steward.

This does sound to be a lot more serious than that though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder where their seats are? :whistle:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I guess that's covered here:

Any medic would know the difference between the actions of a confused/demented individual and a volent yob behaving like a violent yob. It's all in the training and years of experience.

Good points, to be fair.

I still think there’s a grey area there, especially if you mix alcohol in to the equation. There are a range of situations where the clubs reaction to the incident would be an overreaction but I wasn’t there so. I’ll trust the club with this one.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ah, it must have been one of those wooden stirring sticks.
Fair comment.

Not sure if thats being flippant, but you've made an assumption that he was carrying a knife based on the clubs statement that he threatened to stab a steward. We don't know if he was carrying, but I think if he was, then it would probably have been mentioned in the statement as that takes the incident up to a whole new level beyond just a verbal threat.

Lush

Mods' Pet
WTF? There was trouble at the West Brom game!? I thought it was just full of kids. Very odd game for people to start attacking opposition fans.

Yes it is a bit strange. Could it be that they weren't regular fans (no mention of season tickets being cancelled)? Just some lager-fuelled wannabe hoolies attracted by the £15 ticket prices and the fact that you could sit in a big group of mates.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Should the club not suspend their season tickets till proven guilty

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes it is a bit strange. Could it be that they weren't regular fans (no mention of season tickets being cancelled)? Just some lager-fuelled wannabe hoolies attracted by the £15 ticket prices and the fact that you could sit in a big group of mates.

It literally says all 3 are season ticket holders and have been cancelled without refund.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Sussex Police, working closely with Albion’s safety and stewarding team, will also be investigating and seeking to prosecute the three individuals, who are all Albion season-ticket holders.Their season tickets have been cancelled with immediate effect and will not be refunded"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not if their behaviour was witnessed by club employees.

Possibly I suppose we will never know till dealt with in a court of law

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I read it as Albion fan attacking a doctor who was treating a WBA fan. Could be wrong though.

I think you have misread it. I read it as the doctor was tending to the steward who had been assaulted and was assaulted whilst helping him. I could be wrong though.

Here lies the problem with the article.

Three of us have read the same thing and came to three completly different conclusions. This is why I’ve pointed out that there’s a chance the club had overreacted to that one incident. The statement is so vague that it’s impossible to know what happened.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am a bit surprised at P.B.'s choice of words here, "Once again we find ourselves dealing with a number of issues we do not want at this club".

I understand his disappointment, but I think in general, we have pretty few issues for a venue with 30,000 people attending and alcohol on sale, unless I am blissfully unaware of regular trouble. Even if it is a regular occurrence, it doesn't seem good PR to suggest it in the statement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here