Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Ale at away games

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
West Ham had a barrel of Dark Star and Fulham had Hobgoblin. A pint straight from the barrel on the bar, perfect.
But in both cases I found them by accident in the furthest bar from the entrance. Hardly anyone got to the Hobgoblin (leave your snide remarks out please) so I guess a half barrel was left over. If you have something the punters want, and a lot of cans of bitter were taken, why not tell everyone instead of hiding it?

SAC

May 21, 2014
West Ham had a barrel of Dark Star and Fulham had Hobgoblin. A pint straight from the barrel on the bar, perfect.
But in both cases I found them by accident in the furthest bar from the entrance. Hardly anyone got to the Hobgoblin (leave your snide remarks out please) so I guess a half barrel was left over. If you have something the punters want, and a lot of cans of bitter were taken, why not tell everyone instead of hiding it?

I suspect that the catering staff get to keep anything that doesn't get sold as it would be off by their next home match.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I had a pint of something called a Riverside pale, which in reality was a 3.7 John Smith rip off, and I don't like John Smiths. I wish I hadn't bothered

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Indeed, with both ales being especially popular with the traveliing masses, I would have thought that made perfect sense. :drink:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Well it sold out before half time, so no point broadcasting it!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
yup I found it by chance. No signs up so asked the staff what they had on sale, told me of the gold whatever, then as an afterthought one said oh and we have Hobgoblin. At first I thought they meant Fulham had signed Dwight Gayle from West Brom. Then I realised they actually had a barrel of Hob Gob on sale.

I do suspect they wanted to keep it to themselves for after a. Glad to have relieved them of a couple of pints of it.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Hardly anyone got to the Hobgoblin so I guess a half barrel was left over.... why not tell everyone instead of hiding it?

Perhaps they say to the bar staff (probably students) "It'll be going off in the next few days, so if there's any left over you're welcome to either drink it, or decant some and take it home.." ???

If I were a student and was told that, the barrel would be in full army camouflage !!! :drink:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Did see the Hobgoblin barrel, though didn't try any.

A bit strange as I would have thought they would have gone for something a bit more local. Fullers being obvious, or maybe a Twickenham or Sambrooks?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
yup I found it by chance. No signs up so asked the staff what they had on sale, told me of the gold whatever, then as an afterthought one said oh and we have Hobgoblin. At first I thought they meant Fulham had signed Dwight Gayle from West Brom. Then I realised they actually had a barrel of Hob Gob on sale.

I do suspect they wanted to keep it to themselves for after a. Glad to have relieved them of a couple of pints of it.

Very surprised you have even heard of it in Mexeyeco. :),

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here