Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just seen the goals

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’ve changed my opinion slightly, yes we dropped too deep but they got every flipping break and bounce.

1st goal - Poor header by Duffy but fell perfectly and I’d bet money Chambers won’t do that ever again in his career.
2nd goal - Pinball and a total miss hit by one of them which could have balooned anywhere falls perfectly again.
3rd goal - This is the bad one for us, allowed the cross, poor from Dunk (he was fouled but still has to be stronger), Ryan glued to his line. Poor.
4th goal - Pinball again, once again falls perfectly to one of theirs.

At least 2 of their goals had significant good fortune attached. We conceded too much ground and allowed their quality players time. The proverbial game of 2 halves. On another day that game finishes a draw.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’ve changed my opinion slightly, yes we dropped too deep but they got every flipping break and bounce.

1st goal - Poor header by Duffy but fell perfectly and I’d bet money Chambers won’t do that ever again in his career.
2nd goal - Pinball and a total miss hit by one of them which could have balooned anywhere falls perfectly again.
3rd goal - This is the bad one for us, allowed the cross, poor from Dunk (he was fouled but still has to be stronger), Ryan glued to his line. Poor.

At least 2 of their goals had significant good fortune attached. We conceded too much ground and allowed their quality players time. The proverbial game of 2 halves. On another day that game finishes a draw.

You could look at them like that. Or...

1. Poor clearing header.
2. Indecision from Ryan, and Duffy gets caught under the ball.
3. No pressure on the ball out wide.
4. No pressure on Cairney for the first shot. Nobody marking either player in the box.

Better to accept that we defended really badly, and work to sort it out, than to look for excuses.

(The third WAS blatantly a foul though!)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

As I have said in another thread, Fulhams tactical change saw them crossing the ball for Mitrovic more, an in form Dunk and Duffy would have hoovered them up but Mitrovic is a class act and bullied our defence into submisiion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could look at them like that. Or...

1. Poor clearing header.
Hughton's fault, time we moved on.
2. Indecision from Ryan, and Duffy gets caught under the ball.
(The third WAS blatantly a foul though!)
4. No pressure on Cairney for the first shot. Nobody marking either player in the box.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
WTF was Bong doing for the 4th goal :lolol:

IncompatiblePlumpAssassinbug-small.gif

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For the 2nd time this season as he did at The Amex

He did indeed. A very good player. A player who indeed could possibly wearing an Albion shirt now, had Chris Hughton showed his hand when Mitrovic was in dispute with Newcastle. Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You could argue the third goal was a foul, however we can also count ourselves lucky that the sometimes liability of Stephens poorly timed tackles, was still on the pitch.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He did indeed. A very good player. A player who indeed could possibly wearing an Albion shirt now, had Chris Hughton showed his hand when Mitrovic was in dispute with Newcastle. Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say..

I though we were in for him but Newcastle wouldn't sell him to US?

theboybilly

I suppose we'd just run out of luck. Fulham always seem to play very well against us without sometimes getting the rub of the green. I'm thinking of the last-minute Kaz dubious penalty, or the 2-1 win where Fulham ripped us apart in the second half (again a penalty (Hemed) getting the result for the Albion) Some of their play at the Amex belied their league position and in Mitrovic they have the 'Best Player Outside of the Top 6'**, he is really that good when he is on form and gets the service. I would love him here but I would imagine wages would be an issue.

** I got a great deal of satisfaction writing that :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I though we were in for him but Newcastle wouldn't sell him to US?

You may be right to be fair, but I wonder how hard the club did try? Every player has his price at the end of the day. He is tho one man who has given Fulham a chance of staying in the Premier League though, and his goals, and just as importantly his determination would be very welcome for the Albion cause at the moment.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You could argue the third goal was a foul, however we can also count ourselves lucky that the sometimes liability of Stephens poorly timed tackles, was still on the pitch.

I believe the ref took the correct route of giving some leeway because of the pitch conditions, besides, if Stephens been sent off then he would have had no choice but to send off Fulham's players who did exactly the same a while afterwards

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You may be right to be fair, but I wonder how hard the club did try? Every player has his price at the end of the day. He is tho one man who has given Fulham a chance of staying in the Premier League though, and his goals, and just as importantly his determination would be very welcome for the Albion cause at the moment.

What I heard was Mitrovich wanted to come, we wanted him at the price Newcastle were prepared to let him go for, but, Ashley wouldn’t sell to a rival.
Mitrovich has since confirmed he wanted to come to us.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

1 crap header by Duffy, header it out high and no volley.
2 bong gets easily pushed away, should have been pushing the other way to clear the ball.
3.foul
4. Bong leaves his man to allow the cross instead of going to him. So he should then have picked up the man that scored the free header.

Three our own fault and one foul.

I agree - I just don't know why we didn't have someone sitting in front of Mitrovic to make life difficult for him. . It happened from their goal kicks as well - just drop onto his toes so that he doesn't get clear time to get in front, or, as was the case with the 1st goal, allow him to back in and stop us getting up.. Poor old Bong just lost with Cairney for the 4th - really basic stuff that shows the minds had gone for some reason.. another possible piece of bad "luck" - I've not seen any of the highlights- should a corner have been awarded that eventually led to the 1st or 2nd goal?? Someone had a shot that it looked went over the top but ref took "ages" to decide if, presumably, Ryan had saved it.. looked line stone-wall goal kick from my perfect position in the away end!!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
WTF was Bong doing for the 4th goal :lolol:

View attachment 104231

Not gonna slag hi off like others.....but I cant wait for Bernardo to come back.
I dont feel as if Locardia helps Bongs cause either, Christie had a field day on our left

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
1. Bong turns his back
2. Bong muscled off by Chambers and lets ball bounce
3. Foul
4. Bong backs off and fails to close his man down and then let's Vietto (scorer) run past him leaving him free to head in.

There's a link there...

I spotted a theme too.

1. Am I the only one who thought "Button would probably have stopped that", definitely one that would have provoked a couple of "short keeper" comments had it happened in one of Ryans early games for us.

2. Ryan comes and Duffy gets under it, Dunk then does not attack the ball, who was probably the best placed player to deal with it, so he probably should have called it as his, unless Ryan had. Ryan gets close positionally, but doesn't raise his hands.

3. Another one Button gets to?

4.Ryan sort of waves and jumps hopelessly at the shot that hits the bar, and is then in a bad position for the second shot.

Maybe Button was ruled second choice as it was back at Fulham, personally I would have thought a chance to show them he was up to the job would only have raised his game, and with Ryan possibly jet lagged and used to warmer weather as of late, I think we should have played Button.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here