Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] BPme **Warning**

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It’s not until you have registered for this easy way of paying for your fuel and when you are next to a pump and you put your pump number in that it then decides to tell you that “it will reserve £100 with your bank” it’s then that I drove away.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No it’s not, Asda and Sainsbury’s certainly don’t. I think you are confusing it with being able to fill up to £99

No - they do pre-authorise otherwise how do they know if you have enough money to pay?

Also what is the problem - pre-authorise does not tie up money or anything. Not sure why you are 'warning' us.

Same at hotels etc

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The difference with this one is that it does show on your bank account as your available balance being £100 less than you thought you had, with the other pre authorisation it does not show. Silly me for thinking everyone was clued up on filling their cars up. :ffsparr:

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
They do, this is standard practice. But a pre-authorisation never hits your bank account unless you drive away without paying for the actual amount of fuel you dispensed.

Sorry but you are completely wrong, how can you drive away without paying when you have had your card approved!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've not heard of this before, so consider myself warned. i'll park it with Amazon Dash buttons as a frivolous convenience that i dont actually need.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It’s not until you have registered for this easy way of paying for your fuel and when you are next to a pump and you put your pump number in that it then decides to tell you that “it will reserve £100 with your bank” it’s then that I drove away.

Our local BP garage does a voice recognition check.
If it detects chav, then you get offered a Quick Quid loan to pay for your fuel.
If it detects Royalty, then the tax payer foots the fuel bill.
For the rest of you normal humans, well you must pay....:cool:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The difference with this one is that it does show on your bank account as your available balance being £100 less than you thought you had
But presumably that would only be the case while you're actually filling up, so once you're done, your balance will be correct again?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
No, it takes a few days to 'drop off'. It's basically a pre-authorisation, like a hotel (as a previous poster pointed out). You'll often see £1 taken before an actual order on some online shopping bills. I think even Tesco do this?

The OP probably means it's awkward if you're near your limit, or are on the edge of an overdraft. The £100 'counts' against your balance until it drops off, so if you've got £80 in your account / left on your limit - it'll take you overdrawn...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The difference with this one is that it does show on your bank account as your available balance being £100 less than you thought you had, with the other pre authorisation it does not show. Silly me for thinking everyone was clued up on filling their cars up. :ffsparr:

I think l'll just stick to paying in the old fashioned way if that's ok with everyone. Good old cash or debit card.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think l'll just stick to paying in the old fashioned way if that's ok with everyone. Good old cash or debit card.

Petrol stations are rife for card skimming. The worst place to use a debit card

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
No, it takes a few days to 'drop off'. It's basically a pre-authorisation, like a hotel (as a previous poster pointed out). You'll often see £1 taken before an actual order on some online shopping bills. I think even Tesco do this?

The OP probably means it's awkward if you're near your limit, or are on the edge of an overdraft. The £100 'counts' against your balance until it drops off, so if you've got £80 in your account / left on your limit - it'll take you overdrawn...
Thank you, exactly my point. Yes credit card not an issue, unless your near your limit but a bank account is a different scenario altogether.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Our local BP garage does a voice recognition check.
If it detects chav, then you get offered a Quick Quid loan to pay for your fuel.
If it detects Royalty, then the tax payer foots the fuel bill.
For the rest of you normal humans, well you must pay....:cool:

Where does that leave Michael Carroll, King of Chavs?

Michael-Carroll24.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Most people before registering would read the FAQs and T&Cs of the offer, where the question of reserving funds is clearly explained. If you can't be bothered to read things before jumping in,that's your fault, but don't go around complaining, the issue is all of your own making.

If you don't like it, delete the app and just pay as the vast majority of people do, at the kiosk.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Most people before registering would read the FAQs and T&Cs of the offer, where the question of reserving funds is clearly explained. If you can't be bothered to read things before jumping in,that's your fault, but don't go around complaining, the issue is all of your own making.

If you don't like it, delete the app and just pay as the vast majority of people do, at the kiosk.

:lolol:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Isn't that the same as with all pay at pumps? They pre-authorise up to £99

Yes, but it doesn't matter if you have less than £100 in your account, it still goes through and debits the money for the petrol bought a day or two later.
Whereas this sound like the whole £100 it taken, then they reconcile the actual amount later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here