Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I Think I’ve Got Over It Now . . .

el punal

Last night’s horror show of a second half calamity I mean. With two successive home games against Watford and Burnley upon us means the team can make amends and put last night’s result into the file of ‘Do Not Open’. I sincerely that that capitulation was just a blip, a bad day at the office, a wrong type of snow occasion and one never to be repeated for the foreseeable future.

So, being positive here, I reckon Chris will have little to say this morning to the team. The players will know that they were dire and will want to redeem themselves on Saturday. I trust them to do that and I hope our fans will feel that way too. :drink:

theboybilly

Last night’s horror show of a second half calamity I mean. With two successive home games against Watford and Burnley upon us means the team can make amends and put last night’s result into the file of ‘Do Not Open’. I sincerely that that capitulation was just a blip, a bad day at the office, a wrong type of snow occasion and one never to be repeated for the foreseeable future.

So, being positive here, I reckon Chris will have little to say this morning to the team. The players will know that they were dire and will want to redeem themselves on Saturday. I trust them to do that and I hope our fans will feel that way too. :drink:

I wonder what was said in the dressing room post-match...or indeed the coach journey home.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wonder what was said in the dressing room post-match...or indeed the coach journey home.

I would take a bet on very little, if anything at all. The real instigation will probably take place today after the dust has settled and everyone has had a chance to think about what happened.

As the OP said, it's good that we have another game in just a few days, at home too, and a chance to put things right.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You've forgotten the leaves on the line excuse :cool:
It's a good job that the game wasn't any further norf, for the travelling fans, to suffer anymore anxt.
As already said the players will feel this as much as the fans, and put things right next game.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I am more interested in what was said to the team at half time.

But I think I know........after all, it's not the first time this has happened. Or the second. Or the........etc (cont p94)

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Agree, it's done, let's move on - but Watford won't be easy, and Burnley nearly beat the form team away. If we get 4 points from them I will be DELIGHTED.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

But I think I know........after all, it's not the first time this has happened. Or the second. Or the........etc (cont p94)

Out of interest, as apparently this happens all the time, when was the last time we were winning at half time and then lost?

I'll save you looking it up, it was against Newcastle on 28th Feb 2017.

So just the 23 months ago.

:facepalm:

in fact we've only lost from a winning position TWICE since then, Cardiff in October and Bournemouth in September 2017.

So it turns out, you don't know.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Last night was awful and sums up our away performances since we’ve got promoted. Luckily we are still 7 points clear of the relegation zone and have plenty of chances to pick up points at home so there’s definitely no need to panic yet.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Whilst our caving in was not something pretty to watch, credit must be given to Fulham. They came out in that second half and going forward were such a threat. Defensively they are frail but going forward they are very dangerous. The movement in midfield and just behind Mitrovic was exceptional and it pulled our players all over the place which made our organisation look so poor. Lets not forget, they probably should have beaten Spurs the other week. Ranieri has got them ticking going forward and Mitrovic in that sort of 2nd half form is a beast. Not often you see Dunk and Duffy manhandled like he did last night.

Saturday we can put it right. Expect few changes in CH's team as per usual off the back of a bad defeat.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Agree, it's done, let's move on - but Watford won't be easy, and Burnley nearly beat the form team away. If we get 4 points from them I will be DELIGHTED.

I agree and will be confident of staying up if we do. I have always tended towards pessimism for the Albion, it just seems easier that way, but I think we are finding ourselves settling towards our level in terms of the League. Losing at Fulham wasnt the surprise - even throwing away a 2 goal lead wasnt that surprising or unpredictable, shipping 4 goals and the apparent un-ravelling was the surprise - these things do happen, and for 45 minutes we were as good away from home as I have seen us.. To date, it was an exception, and in our premier league history so far, we normally see some sort of reaction after a horror show.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I’ve just about recovered from the shell-shock of the result but will be haunted by that second half for a while yet. I keep having flashbacks to the onslaughts down both wings, which was horribly painful to watch at times.

At the half time whistle I said to my lad that I wished we were three up, reflecting on our West Ham experience. We certainly deserved to be based on our first half performance. It does highlight that at this level one cannot be profligate in front of goal. Yesterday was an abject lesson in what can happen if you don't take your chances.

It wasn’t just the 4 goals; in the second half they hit the woodwork 3 times and we cleared one off the line; it could have been a lot worse! It wasn’t so much the scoreline but the manner of the capitulation and the way in which Fulham (all credit to them) went at us in the second half. Hopefully, lessons will be learned.

Two crucial home games will now define how we enter the final third of the season. Take 3-4 points from those and we’ll be on 29/30, with 12 games to play, and in all probability all but safe. It would need quite a collapse now for us to fall into a relegation scrap and (wearing by blue-and-white striped spectacles) I can’t see that happening.

If the negative PL run continues against Watford I do wonder if the club will perhaps sacrifice any attempt at an FA Cup run in order to focus on PL survival, which understandably is their financial priority?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Last night was awful and sums up our away performances since we’ve got promoted. Luckily we are still 7 points clear of the relegation zone and have plenty of chances to pick up points at home so there’s definitely no need to panic yet.

Well no it doesn't though does it.

Many on here complaining that we used to set up not to get beat and we should go for it a bit more.

Last night was a thoroughly entertaining game.
6 goals - 39 shots- twists and turns.
I thought that was what was lacking!

Surprised there aren't more people on here cheering on Chris and the boys for giving it a go.
Funny that.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Well no it doesn't though does it.

Many on here complaining that we used to set up not to get beat and we should go for it a bit more.

Last night was a thoroughly entertaining game.
6 goals - 39 shots- twists and turns.
I thought that was what was lacking!

Surprised there aren't more people on here cheering on Chris and the boys for giving it a go.
Funny that.

So you are suggesting that conceeding 4 goals in one half to go from a win to a loss is entertaining and something we should applaud ?
had we been 4 -0 down and come back to 4 -2 then maybe we would applaud for " giving it a go " .
Muppet

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So you are suggesting that conceeding 4 goals in one half to go from a win to a loss is entertaining and something we should applaud ?
had we been 4 -0 down and come back to 4 -2 then maybe we would applaud for " giving it a go " .
Muppet

I'm not no.
I was as disappointed as anyone, but then I was quite happy with setting up for a point and hope to nick something.

Plenty on here wanted a different formation and more attacking options away from home.
Because they wanted to be entertained when they travel to away matches.
That's fair enough and I think Chris is working towards that.
Last night showed there's a long way to go before we can do that well.

el punal

When have we gone 2-0 up, dominant and in control of the game, and then lost? I would suggest a very long time ago. Therefore you would think CH’s half-time talk would be more of the same please, but DO NOT concede an early goal. We did of course, within a couple of minutes, and things went from bad to worse. So really what was said at half-time went out of the window very quickly. In my view the blame for that dire offering in the second half belonged to the players on the pitch and their abject performances both collectively and individually. I hope a lesson was learned.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I got over it on the coach ride home, the incompetent driver didn't know where he was going. We come home via Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush, Hyde Park, Victoria, The Oval, Peckham, New Cross and finally getting onto the M25 at the M20 junction. He had some obscene fascination over roads with traffic lights, most of which were red. At some point are we were crawling through Lewisham or somewhere similar, "I drove all night" came on the radio, he nearly ****ing did, the cock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here